Doom for the Masters Fatties

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kurgan Gringion, Feb 14, 2003.

  1. From: http://jama.ama-assn.org/issues/v289n2/ffull/jed20082.html

    Obesity has become pandemic in the United States. Currently, 2 in 3 US adults are classified as
    overweight or obese, compared with fewer than 1 in 4 in the early 1960s.1, 2 Although still viewed
    more as a cosmetic rather than a health problem by the general public, excess weight is a major risk
    factor for premature mortality, cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes mellitus, osteoarthritis,
    certain cancers, and other medical conditions.3 Obesity accounts for more than 280 000 deaths
    annually in the United States and will soon overtake smoking as the primary preventable cause of
    death if current trends continue.4 Indeed, obesity is already associated with greater morbidity and
    poorer health-related quality of life than smoking, problem drinking, or poverty.5

    <snip>

    Even a moderately elevated BMI is a significant predictor of hypertension and of diabetes in both
    whites and blacks, and the incidence rates of these conditions increase similarly in both ethnic
    groups as BMI increases.17

    <snip>

    Moreover, mortality is only a small part of the substantial burden of disease caused by
    obesity-related conditions such as diabetes, degenerative arthritis, hypertension, angina, and other
    nonfatal cardiovascular disease.

    <snip>

    Although powerful social and cultural forces drive the pandemic of excess weight, health care
    professionals can help to counteract these trends by educating patients about the serious health
    risks of obesity

    <snip><end

    Tags:

  2. Trdina

    Trdina Guest

  3. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "trdina" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > From: http://jama.ama-assn.org/issues/v289n2/ffull/jed20082.html
    > >
    > > Obesity has become pandemic in the United States.
    >
    > Besides being a sensationalist who confuses public health issues with personal health issues,
    > sentence one indictes that the author of this article is a moron. How can you have a pandemic
    > that's limited to one country?

    "Pandemic" --
    1.. Widespread; general.
    2.. Medicine. Epidemic over a wide geographic area and affecting a large proportion of the
    population: pandemic influenza.

  4. Warren

    Warren Guest

  5. Jim Quinn

    Jim Quinn Guest

    Wow - Breaking News! Hot off the press four years ago.

    > From: http://jama.ama-assn.org/issues/v289n2/ffull/jed20082.html
    >
    > Obesity has become pandemic in the United States. Currently, 2 in 3 US adults are classified as
    > overweight or obese, compared with fewer than 1
    in
    > 4 in the early 1960s.1, 2 Although still viewed more as a cosmetic rather than a health problem by
    > the general public, excess weight is a major risk factor for premature mortality, cardiovascular
    > disease, type 2 diabetes mellitus, osteoarthritis, certain cancers, and other medical conditions.3
    > Obesity accounts for more than 280 000 deaths annually in the United
    States
    > and will soon overtake smoking as the primary preventable cause of death
    if
    > current trends continue.4 Indeed, obesity is already associated with
    greater
    > morbidity and poorer health-related quality of life than smoking, problem drinking, or poverty.5
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Even a moderately elevated BMI is a significant predictor of hypertension and of diabetes in both
    > whites and blacks, and the incidence rates of
    these
    > conditions increase similarly in both ethnic groups as BMI increases.17
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Moreover, mortality is only a small part of the substantial burden of disease caused by
    > obesity-related conditions such as diabetes,
    degenerative
    > arthritis, hypertension, angina, and other nonfatal cardiovascular
    disease.

    > <snip>
    >
    > Although powerful social and cultural forces drive the pandemic of excess weight, health care
    > professionals can help to counteract these trends by educating patients about the serious health
    > risks of obesity
    >
    > <snip><end>

  6. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    He is not using this troll to establish masters rides as fat, but showing the risk (I think).

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:140220031655589405%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Kurgan Gringioni
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > From: http://jama.ama-assn.org/issues/v289n2/ffull/jed20082.html
    > >
    > > Obesity has become pandemic in the United States. Currently, 2 in 3 US adults are classified as
    > > overweight or obese,
    >
    > How does this relate to the very small proportion of US adults who are masters bike racers?
    >
    > -WG

  7. Bikerecker

    Bikerecker Guest

    Dunno about Cal (although Chris Walker,. 40+, kicked mine and about 172 other Cat 1's asses in
    Nashville last year). In the SE, Masters are the second fastest field, and the Masters TT guys
    sometimes take the overall fastest times. My 53 yr old Masters buddy Vic Rodgers is the leanest
    person I have ever seen. That's why we call him Ole Gristle. Masters around here tend to be
    hedonistic, self-centered, etc, but not generally any fatter than their younger counterparts. SO:
    Chang's diatribe against Masters is totally irrelevant down here. Too bad he wastes that beautiful
    brain on such pablum. Greg

  8. "Pandemic" simply means that something, a disease for example, impacts a high percentage of a given
    population or is spread over a large geographic area.

    .....but if not understanding the meaning of the word makes one a moron.........

  9. Frank Tantillo wrote:
    > "Pandemic" simply means that something, a disease for example, impacts a high percentage of a
    > given population or is spread over a large geographic area.
    >
    > .....but if not understanding the meaning of the word makes one a moron.........

    ... then moronism is pandemic.

    Dan