Dork identity?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Burton, Mar 16, 2003.

  1. While cycling around Chew Valley Lake this afternoon, just south of Bristol, on the CTC ride, we
    were harassed by two dorks in a Jeep, R746 PPY, for not riding on the abysmal cycle track. The
    driver sounded his horn continuously, the passenger leaned out of the window and shouted abuse, so
    we stopped across the road, forcing them to stop, and I took their picture.

    Neither the passenger nor driver appear to be acquainted with the relevant road laws: a cyclist may
    use a cycle track, but has every right to remain on the road, and they appear not to know that cycle
    tracks have a higher accident rate than riding on the road.

    They did appear to consider that they had the right to insist that cyclists should use substandard,
    dangerous and inconvenient cycle tracks, and were more than willing to demonstrate their
    incomptetence and arrogance by behaving like complete cretins.

    If you know either of these morons, a polite word in their ear might save them a lot of hassle later
    in life: something along the lines of "you are complete idiots, try and grow up before you drive a
    lethal weapon again." should suffice.

    Rich

    Tags:

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > While cycling around Chew Valley Lake this afternoon, just south of
    Bristol,
    > on the CTC ride, we were harassed by two dorks in a Jeep, R746 PPY, for
    not
    > riding on the abysmal cycle track. The driver sounded his horn continuously, the passenger leaned
    > out of the window and shouted abuse, so we stopped across the road, forcing them to stop, and I
    > took their
    picture.

    > Neither the passenger nor driver appear to be acquainted with the relevant road laws: a cyclist
    > may use a cycle track, but has every right to remain
    on
    > the road, and they appear not to know that cycle tracks have a higher accident rate than riding on
    > the road.
    >
    > They did appear to consider that they had the right to insist that
    cyclists
    > should use substandard, dangerous and inconvenient cycle tracks, and were more than willing to
    > demonstrate their incomptetence and arrogance by behaving like complete cretins.
    >
    > If you know either of these morons, a polite word in their ear might save them a lot of hassle
    > later in life: something along the lines of "you are complete idiots, try and grow up before you
    > drive a lethal weapon again." should suffice.
    >
    > Rich

    Report their actions to the police. I am sure they will be interested to know that these
    individuals are driving but not familiar with the highway code.....'course, 'spose I could be
    wrong, but it's got to be worth a shot. I think the police are obliged to investigate ?.....anyone
    ?.... cheers, Dave.

  3. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > While cycling around Chew Valley Lake this afternoon, just south of
    Bristol,
    > on the CTC ride, we were harassed by two dorks in a Jeep, R746 PPY,

    snip

    I suppose it is too much to expect that they should have been 'off road'. Isn't a jeep an 'off
    road' vehicle??

  4. I don't suppose that you as a CTC gang, were spread out across the road? John.

    --
    John, Pauline & Hannah. Thornbury, South Gloucestershire. UK. http://www.pbase.com/john28july

  5. In message <[email protected]>, Richard Burton
    <[email protected]> writes
    >While cycling around Chew Valley Lake this afternoon, just south of Bristol, on the CTC ride, we
    >were harassed by two dorks in a Jeep, R746 PPY, for not riding on the abysmal cycle track. The
    >driver sounded his horn continuously, the passenger leaned out of the window and shouted abuse, so
    >we stopped across the road, forcing them to stop, and I took their picture.

    You may be able to find out more, if your motivation is good enough. From
    http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/relinfo.htm:

    "Release of another vehicle’s keeper details

    You can obtain the name and address of the registered keeper of a vehicle if you can show reasonable
    cause for needing the information.

    Members of the public will need to complete form V888. Companies should complete form VQ3 , or apply
    in writing (both forms are available from DVLA). You should include a fee of £2.50, the vehicle
    registration number of the vehicle you are requesting information on, full reason for your request
    and the date of event.

    Send your application to: Vehicle Record Enquiries, Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea
    SA99 1AJ."

    If you fancy giving it a try, I'm sure that the list would be interested to know what happens.

    --
    Richard Keatinge

    http://www.keatinge.net

  6. Pete Boyall

    Pete Boyall Guest

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:52:34 +0000, Richard Keatinge
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    <snip>
    >"Release of another vehicle’s keeper details
    >
    >You can obtain the name and address of the registered keeper of a vehicle if you can show
    >reasonable cause for needing the information.
    >
    >Members of the public will need to complete form V888. Companies should complete form VQ3 , or
    >apply in writing (both forms are available from DVLA). You should include a fee of £2.50, the
    >vehicle registration number of the vehicle you are requesting information on, full reason for your
    >request and the date of event.
    >
    >Send your application to: Vehicle Record Enquiries, Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea
    >SA99 1AJ."
    >
    >If you fancy giving it a try, I'm sure that the list would be interested to know what happens.

    I tried this once. You have to have a *really* good reason, along the lines of being knocked off,
    losing a limb, driver legging it and the police not attending the scene.

    But, you don't ask you don't get.

    pete

    --

    Pete

  7. "Thornbury South Gloucestershire" <jsbr12499 @blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I don't suppose that you as a CTC gang, were spread out across the road? John.
    >
    > John, Pauline & Hannah. Thornbury, South Gloucestershire. UK. http://www.pbase.com/john28july

    Yes, of course we were: it's actually a technique we adopted from spiders. One person rides on the
    extreme right of the road, and another rides on the extreme left, and between them they hold a
    monofilament net, cos the drivers can 't see that can they.

    When they drive into our net, we truss up the 4x4, take all their money and credit cards and pour
    anti-freeze into the engine.

    CTC gang? what a cretin, and I apologise for the politeness. This guy has never been on a CTC ride,
    or any organised club ride.

    What do you plan to be when you grow up John? A human being?

    Do you by any chance drive a Jeep?

    Rich

  8. ChrisW

    ChrisW New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2003
    An interesting behavioual aspect of this is your dorks' sense of invulnerability.

    I assume that there were more than two cyclists on this CTC ride, it's a fair bet that people who cycle in their spare time are fitter than those who ride around in jeeps, and I've found in the past that an hour or so of vigorous excercise can shorten one's fuse alarmingly. But these two dorks seem not to have considered the possibility that this numerically superior group of fit people might simply get off their bikes and beat them up, presumably because they were in a car and you were on bikes.

    Not, of course, that I'm advocating beating up motorists.

    Chris

  9. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "ChrisW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > An interesting behavioual aspect of this is your dorks' sense of invulnerability.
    >
    > I assume that there were more than two cyclists on this CTC ride, it's a fair bet that people who
    > cycle in their spare time are fitter than those who ride around in jeeps, and I've found in the
    > past that an hour or so of vigorous excercise can shorten one's fuse alarmingly. But these two
    > dorks seem not to have considered the possibility that this numerically superior group of fit
    > people might simply get off their bikes and beat them up, presumably because they were in a car
    > and you were on bikes.
    >
    > Not, of course, that I'm advocating beating up motorists.

    But cyclists are nice people. How often have you read of groups of terror cyclists beating innocent
    motorists to a pulp?

  10. Ian Walker

    Ian Walker Guest

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:25:16 -0000, Tony W <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "ChrisW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> An interesting behavioual aspect of this is your dorks' sense of invulnerability.
    >>
    >> I assume that there were more than two cyclists on this CTC ride, it's a fair bet that people who
    >> cycle in their spare time are fitter than those who ride around in jeeps, and I've found in the
    >> past that an hour or so of vigorous excercise can shorten one's fuse alarmingly. But these two
    >> dorks seem not to have considered the possibility that this numerically superior group of fit
    >> people might simply get off their bikes and beat them up, presumably because they were in a car
    >> and you were on bikes.
    >>
    >> Not, of course, that I'm advocating beating up motorists.
    >
    > But cyclists are nice people. How often have you read of groups of terror cyclists beating
    > innocent motorists to a pulp?

    *innocent* motorists? Never. Deserving motorists, e.g., those who reverse over cyclists and their
    children? Not often enough.

    Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

  11. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    Tony W <[email protected]> said:

    > But cyclists are nice people. How often have you read of groups of terror cyclists beating
    > innocent motorists to a pulp?

    There's a marvellous scene in the film "Fist Power!"[1] where the heroes are attacked by a gang of
    ninja cyclists. If that's the Hong Kong equivalent of the CTC I wouldn't mess... :)

    Regards,

    -david

    [1] No, not *that*

  12. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "David Nutter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > There's a marvellous scene in the film "Fist Power!"[1] where the heroes
    are
    > attacked by a gang of ninja cyclists. If that's the Hong Kong equivalent
    of
    > the CTC I wouldn't mess... :)

    You mean the sort of guys who ride with no lights, in black, at night and get aggressive when you
    suggest they shouldn't ride on the pavement?

  13. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    Tony W <[email protected]> said:

    > You mean the sort of guys who ride with no lights, in black, at night and get aggressive when you
    > suggest they shouldn't ride on the pavement?

    Not really, no. The flip-out-and-kill-people-other-than-themselves kind of ninjas.

    Regards,

    -david

  14. Marc

    Marc Guest

    David Nutter <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > But cyclists are nice people. How often have you read of groups of terror cyclists beating
    > > innocent motorists to a pulp?
    >
    > There's a marvellous scene in the film "Fist Power!"[1] where the heroes are attacked by a gang of
    > ninja cyclists. If that's the Hong Kong equivalent of the CTC I wouldn't mess... :)
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > -david
    >
    > [1] No, not *that*

    Not what?

  15. Marc

    Marc Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Do you wanna be in my gang, my gang, my gang? Do you wanna be in my gang, oh yeeeeaaah! I'm the
    > leeeeeder, I'm the leeeeeder, I'm the leeeeder of the gang, I am!

    You really want to be in Gary Glitters gang? Don't take your computer to PC world!

  16. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "David Nutter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Not really, no. The flip-out-and-kill-people-other-than-themselves kind of ninjas.

    Ahh. Fortunately we don't get too many of them around here -- though there is an excess of the
    other sort :(

  17. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:56:43 +0000, [email protected] (Marc) wrote:

    >David Nutter <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >> > But cyclists are nice people. How often have you read of groups of terror cyclists beating
    >> > innocent motorists to a pulp?
    >>
    >> There's a marvellous scene in the film "Fist Power!"[1] where the heroes are attacked by a gang
    >> of ninja cyclists. If that's the Hong Kong equivalent of the CTC I wouldn't mess... :)
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> -david
    >>
    >> [1] No, not *that*
    >
    >Not what?

    What Julian Clary didn't do to Norman Lamont, oh no, certainly not.

    Tim

  18. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    [email protected] (Marc) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > You really want to be in Gary Glitters gang? Don't take your computer to PC world!

    Or if you do, don't make a special point of asking them not to look through the hard disk. :)

    --
    Dave...

  19. Hello, Sorry to offend anyone-BUT- the starter of this thread is well known as a instigator of over
    the top cycle campaigning and is generally known from opinions cast by persons not to be named on
    here as a pain in the a***. My own opinions do not count particularly to persons not known to me at
    all who insist on talking about Campervans-the prats. Kind regards, John.

    --
    John, Pauline & Hannah. Thornbury, South Gloucestershire. UK. http://www.pbase.com/john28july

  20. "Thornbury South Gloucestershire" <jsbr12499 @NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote

    Richard Burton wrote:
    > Neither the passenger nor driver appear to be acquainted with the relevant road laws: a cyclist
    > may use a cycle track, but has every right to remain on the road, and they appear not to know that
    > cycle tracks have a higher accident rate than riding on the road.

    If Richard's post is what you mean by "over the top cycle campaigning" I feel very sorry for you. I
    also refuse to use cycle provision that I consider inadequate and more dangerous than riding on the
    road, and I bet that the vast majority of posters on this group do too. If you use all cycle
    provision no matter how shitty, well, that's your choice. But don't go trying to impose your opinion
    on those of us who prefer to get where we're going safely and with a minimum of hassle, using roads
    rather than cycle proviion if it's more appropriate.

    As for your initial response to this thread, the initial post made it clear that the dorks in the
    Jeep were objecting to them not using the cycle path, not objecting to the cyclists preventing them
    from overtaking.

    Personally, on the matter of overtaking groups, this is one of the reasons I don't like to ride in
    groups too much. If you have a long queue of two-abreast cyclists, it really is difficult to
    overtake, and I don't feel comfortable about holding up a motorist for say five minutes (as often
    happens) while they wait to find a place to overtake safely. Many people get really irritated by
    this and take a chance by overtaking in not-so-safe a place. I prefer riding on my own or with
    just one or two other people. If a motorist stays behind me for a bit, waiting for a chance to
    overtake, if a suitable place doesn't come up soon I reward their patience by pulling off and
    letting them go by.

    -Myra