Double Butted Spokes

On Aug 6, 8:55 am, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> John Dacey wrote:
> > Cum hoc ergo propter hoc.

> > On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 20:22:17 -0700, jim beam
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> they may indeed, but inspection doesn't reveal any evidence of such a
> >> process being used. compare d.t. spokes, sapim and wheelsmith with a
> >> sufficiently strong magnifier. spokes that are drawn or hammered show
> >> distinctive marks evidencing each production process - as you will see.
> >> wheelsmith don't. they are featureless - just like you'd expect from
> >> something with the marks polished out. and polishing something that has
> >> been drawn or hammered makes no financial sense since finish quality is
> >> already sufficient.

> > So let me understand your reasoning: since Wheelsmith's butted spokes
> > have a finish that's better than you think they need to be, that's
> > proof positive that they're lying about (or worse, that they don't
> > understand themselves) the fabrication process?

> at best, that's too simplistic. at worst, that's contrived and
> misleading. so here's what i suggest: provide samples of all 3 spokes
> to a metallurgy lab and have then do the metallography for you. the
> microstructure will reveal all.
>
> you can also try the magnet test, but that's not only more subjective to
> the tester, but it's non-definitive. should give you a rough idea
> though. use a strong magnet like one out an old hard drive. [cold
> worked "forged" austenite of certain grades becomes martensitic, thus
> more magnetic - the center sections should be more magnetic if formed by
> a hammering or drawing technique that their description implies.]

I'd say that "what you suggest" is up to the guy who claims he knows
more than Wheelsmith does, based on his own cursory look at their
spokes.

Wheelsmith's reputation is solid, jim beam. Your is not. If you want
to salvage something from this, it's up to you to provide conclusive
proof that Wheelsmith doesn't know how Wheelsmith makes spokes.

Your move.

- Frank Krygowski

Gary Young wrote:
> "The old owner of Wheelsmith was retiring and sold us the business. We
> relocated it from Big Timber, MT to Milwaukee, WI in December 2006....

Much better beer, and I DON'T mean Miller.

On Aug 6, 11:00 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Could it be that the older Asahi made Wheelsmith double-butted spokes
> were made by grinding and the newer Wheelsmith spokes made in Cheeseland
> are butted by forging? What is the age of the spokes "jim beam" is
> examining?
>
> Could both Krygowski and "beam" be right (or would that cause the
> Universe to implode)?

Well, this is a detail, but: For jim beam to be right even in that
case, he'd have to change his statement to "the older Wheelsmith
spokes I examined...", rather than a simple blanket statement about
current Wheelsmith spokes, "wheelsmith
grind, then polish." (Note the present tense.)

And of course, we don't have a hint that there was such a change in
process. Except the discrepancy between Wheelsmith's statement and
jim beam's testimony, which many of us have learned not to trust.

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] wrote:
> On Aug 6, 11:00 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Could it be that the older Asahi made Wheelsmith double-butted spokes
>> were made by grinding and the newer Wheelsmith spokes made in Cheeseland
>> are butted by forging? What is the age of the spokes "jim beam" is
>> examining?
>>
>> Could both Krygowski and "beam" be right (or would that cause the
>> Universe to implode)?

> Well, this is a detail, but: For jim beam to be right even in that
> case, he'd have to change his statement to "the older Wheelsmith
> spokes I examined...", rather than a simple blanket statement about
> current Wheelsmith spokes, "wheelsmith
> grind, then polish." (Note the present tense.)
>
> And of course, we don't have a hint that there was such a change in
> process. Except the discrepancy between Wheelsmith's statement and
> jim beam's testimony, which many of us have learned not to trust.
>
> - Frank Krygowski

so get with the testing program krygowski - /you/ are the "engineering
professor" - /you/ have access to the facilities!!! idiot.

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 21:45:15 -0700, frkrygow wrote:

> On Aug 6, 11:00 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>> Could it be that the older Asahi made Wheelsmith double-butted spokes
>> were made by grinding and the newer Wheelsmith spokes made in Cheeseland
>> are butted by forging? What is the age of the spokes "jim beam" is
>> examining?
>>
>> Could both Krygowski and "beam" be right (or would that cause the
>> Universe to implode)?

> Well, this is a detail, but: For jim beam to be right even in that
> case, he'd have to change his statement to "the older Wheelsmith
> spokes I examined...", rather than a simple blanket statement about
> current Wheelsmith spokes, "wheelsmith
> grind, then polish." (Note the present tense.)
>
> And of course, we don't have a hint that there was such a change in
> process.

Especially since the Wheelsmith employee I quoted on the move to
"Cheeseland" also said that Wheelsmith uses the same processes as Asahi
when making its own spokes.

> Except the discrepancy between Wheelsmith's statement and
> jim beam's testimony, which many of us have learned not to trust.

Exactly.

On Aug 7, 12:57 am, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > On Aug 6, 11:00 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Could it be that the older Asahi made Wheelsmith double-butted spokes
> >> were made by grinding and the newer Wheelsmith spokes made in Cheeseland
> >> are butted by forging? What is the age of the spokes "jim beam" is
> >> examining?

> >> Could both Krygowski and "beam" be right (or would that cause the
> >> Universe to implode)?

> > Well, this is a detail, but: For jim beam to be right even in that
> > case, he'd have to change his statement to "the older Wheelsmith
> > spokes I examined...", rather than a simple blanket statement about
> > current Wheelsmith spokes, "wheelsmith
> > grind, then polish." (Note the present tense.)

> > And of course, we don't have a hint that there was such a change in
> > process. Except the discrepancy between Wheelsmith's statement and
> > jim beam's testimony, which many of us have learned not to trust.

> > - Frank Krygowski

> so get with the testing program krygowski - /you/ are the "engineering
> professor" - /you/ have access to the facilities!!! idiot.

I do have that access. But I don't have any Wheelsmith spokes. I
prefer DT.

And I'm hardly going to rush off to do an assignment given by a
discredited ex-metallurgist. He can do his own homework.

- Frank Krygowski

RonSonic who? wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 22:00:31 -0500, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Could both Krygowski and "beam" be right (or would that cause the
>> Universe to implode)?

> No, the stability of the universe is assured as long as Jobst remains in
> disagreement. Or at least disagreeable.

I hate you.
You hate me.
We're a dysfunctional RBT family. ;)

> On Aug 7, 12:57 am, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> Well, this is a detail, but: For jim beam to be right even in that
>>> case, he'd have to change his statement to "the older Wheelsmith
>>> spokes I examined...", rather than a simple blanket statement about
>>> current Wheelsmith spokes, "wheelsmith
>>> grind, then polish." (Note the present tense.)
>>> And of course, we don't have a hint that there was such a change in
>>> process. Except the discrepancy between Wheelsmith's statement and
>>> jim beam's testimony, which many of us have learned not to trust.
>>> - Frank Krygowski

>> so get with the testing program krygowski - /you/ are the "engineering
>> professor" - /you/ have access to the facilities!!! idiot.

> I do have that access. But I don't have any Wheelsmith spokes. I
> prefer DT.
>
> And I'm hardly going to rush off to do an assignment given by a
> discredited ex-metallurgist. He can do his own homework.

wow!!! krygowski heads for the hills when there's a barn raising - how
to disgrace your institution and your profession!!!

btw, it would cost you about $2.50 to buy all the parts necessary to
bury the beamster. you'd make that investment if you really thought you
were right. idiot.

On Aug 7, 10:46 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> >> so get with the testing program krygowski - /you/ are the "engineering
> >> professor" - /you/ have access to the facilities!!! idiot.

> > I do have that access. But I don't have any Wheelsmith spokes. I
> > prefer DT.

> > And I'm hardly going to rush off to do an assignment given by a
> > discredited ex-metallurgist. He can do his own homework.

> wow!!! krygowski heads for the hills when there's a barn raising - how
> to disgrace your institution and your profession!!!

When the going gets tough.......the GasBag deflates. ;-)

Gig Miller writes:

> I recently purchased some Wheelsmith DB14 x 279 mm spokes. The
> length of the butted portion on the elbow side was approx 25mm,
> while the length of the butted portion on the threaded side was only
> 3mm above the threads. Is this normal? It seems to me the butted
> lengths should be nearly equal.

I believe that occurs because you have a short spoke, most being in
the 300mm+ length and swaging a spoke is a major manufacturing step so
not too many lengths are made from which the various lengths are cut.
At the DT SWISS, the cut is made just before threading and the elbow
is bent last although the spoke head is formed first.

Cutting long finished spokes shorter is the way I have experienced it
in local shops that have a threading machine.

Jobst Brandt

[email protected] wrote:
> Gig Miller writes:
>
>> I recently purchased some Wheelsmith DB14 x 279 mm spokes. The
>> length of the butted portion on the elbow side was approx 25mm,
>> while the length of the butted portion on the threaded side was only
>> 3mm above the threads. Is this normal? It seems to me the butted
>> lengths should be nearly equal.

> I believe that occurs because you have a short spoke, most being in
> the 300mm+ length and swaging a spoke is a major manufacturing step so
> not too many lengths are made from which the various lengths are cut.

jobst, your language is incorrect - you're using a process to describe a
result. swaging is the process. butting is the result. and butting is
the result of drawing or grinding too.

you /are/ interested in getting facts correct aren't you?