Double or triple?

kerux

Jul 30, 2004
sorry, new beginner here -- I'm wondering what the difference is between doubles and triples especially because I don't see price differences. what are the reasons to prefer one over the other?

THANKS! :confused:

How strong are you? Can you push a big gear? Do you want to look "weak" or a beginner in the midst of some of the more hardcore riders? Do you have steep hills/mountains around you? Or is the terrain mostly flat?

If you have a hard time maintaining ~90 rpm cadence using a 52/53/55 front ring, you might want to look at a triple (the middle chainring is typically a 42). If you live, say, near the Alps, a triple is necessary for all but the strongest riders. Some riders do think that a triple is for the weak or beginners. If you have flat terrain, a double would probably be fine.

See:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t57407.html

I was a beginner last august, and, not having too much advice over double or triple, I thought bigger is better and went Triple. Stupid mistake. I've used that granny wheel (the third ring has 30 teeth from what I've garnered in experience over the year) and I've used it all of.. oh twice, since buying the bike. Some people might add here that it's a case of whether it's really hilly or you're weak. I was pretty weak when I started, but I've actually developed into more of a climber, and I'm based in (go to university and spend much of my time cycling ) Aberdeen, which is pretty much highland and thus damned hilly, especially some of the routes we use, and I still haven't used the granny gear (except that one time where I got hunger knock) ;)

So my recommendation is: go double.