Double or Tripple

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by peteaj, Jul 1, 2004.

1. peteaj

peteaj New Member

Although Mountain Biking for some time I'm thinking of getting a road bike possibly a Trek 1400. My problem is Double ring or Tripple ring. Obviously on the MTB its not a cocideration, however, I don't want to make a mistake with the road bike. From what I can see it seems to be a personnal preference. Any help will be appriciated.

Pete Jones
    UK :confused:

Tags:

2. Bolo Grubb

Bolo Grubb New Member

It is completely a matter of preference. I have a triple and the only time I use the smallest chain ring is on really steep hills. A couple of guys I ride with have doubles and seem to manage just fine.

Most of my riding (and my riding buddies) is done at speed in the largest chain ring.

*shrug*

3. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

It isn't just presonal preference.It's how fit you are and how big the hills are.

4. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Well geeze, if you need the granny,then it isn't preference, it's need. Your buddies apparently aren't wusses. Or maybe they have a 29 big cog x 39 which is the same gear inches as a triple 30 granny ring and a 23 cog. This post is worthless without numbers or fitness indexes.

5. Randybaker99

Randybaker99 New Member

It IS about personal preference! Just because you are out of shape or climbing big hills doesn't mean you HAVE to buy a Triple. If you like getting out of the saddle when you climb, then a double might be fine.

Boudreaux, what do you think we did before there were triples, walk the bike up every big hill? No, you do what you need to do. Having said that, I think triples are great, and I prefer having it on my bike, for practicing seated climbing. But I may switch back to a double someday too.

Peteaj, Here are what I think are some factors that might help you decide:

1) what cadence do you ride typically ride at? Higher might indicate a triple, lower a double.

2) how hilly is your area? Big hills might indicate a triple, flat or rolling hills a double.

3) what is your fitness and experience level? Lack of fitness/experience might indicate a triple, high levels, a double.

Hope this is helpful.

6. keydates

keydates New Member

7. cameron41

cameron41 New Member

Someone needs a good clip around the ears. Get your hand off it you tool.

8. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Semantics, boudreaux. It's never truly a matter of need, unless a particular climb is crucial to your immediate escape from a roving death squad. I consider myself a climber, and I use a double with swagger, but in the end, I live at the base of a tall hill range and there are monstrous roads I don't (can't) do on my best day. Whatever. I just don't do them. I can do other climbs. Preference.

Pete, rest assured that either way you chose, you'll get by. Some riders (myself included) appreciate the relative simplicity of a double drivetrain -- but as a seasoned MTB rider, you probably couldn't care less about shifting through the extra trim positions, so that might be moot. There's an undeniable advantage to having an extra ring to work with, but you shouldn't worry that riding where you want to go will hinge on whether you've got a triple.

Pick one (maybe after doing some test rides, and getting a feel for the shifting), and enjoy it. Nothing wrong with selecting that triple. If you do end up with a double, though, and ultimately find that some hills are too friggin' steep, well then, you've met your match. Train harder, and if that doesn't work, either buy a triple, or find easier climbs. No shame in either.

No worries either. Have fun, take care.

9. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

That's just total nonsense. If it were true,then why do alot of people buy a double and then decide thay need a triple?? I don't think more spinach is always the answer. LOL.

10. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

LOL Preference maybe. Depending on the shape one is in and where one lives,preference might dictate some pretty short unspiring rides.

11. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Ya know, triples did not just fall out of the sky a few years ago.They have been around longer than you probably think. Also consider rear cogs. I have some freewheels with 33 and 34 big cogs(parts box,not using stuff, and suntour even made one with a 38. Compact cranks with 110 BCD are nothing new either. Low gears have been an option even without triples.But triples do have adventage if you need low gears.

12. lokstah

lokstah New Member

I didn't leave it at spinach. I said spinach was one answer; simply selecting a softer hill is another. I also endorsed buying a friggin' triple if he felt so inclined, so there. Saying he'd get by with either is a way of indicating -- accurately -- that while he might be better suited to one or the other, he shouldn't lose sleep over the issue.

13. ALAN OBRIEN

ALAN OBRIEN New Member

OUR FAVOURITE SH** STIRRER IS AT IT AGAIN. SURPRISE, SURPRISE.

14. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Well,he certainly might if he bought the wrong thing based on the inane drivel offered up here as 'advise'.

15. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

No surprise.It's a crummy job,but somebody gotta do it. What's your favorite flavor,and I'll stir you up a batch.

16. SunBurnt

SunBurnt New Member

Tell me about it.
    boudreaux seemed to feel a sense of accomplishment blasting his "so very knowledgable and experience" views and opinions.

If you are saying that only "grannies" uses triple then most MTB riders are, aren't they?

A triple is just a double with an additional lower gear, it is not a shame to own one. And if you ever need to use one, to quote, you are not a "wuss"

17. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

LOL....HaHaHaHaHa. You guys need to unwad yer nickers and go ride yer bikes.

18. Snarl

Snarl New Member

RandyBaker99 basically nailed it IMHO, good answer. Doubles/Triples both have a vaild use, I use a double now, had a triple before.

Also there is a slight bonus to 27 Speeds VS 18 :)

19. meehs

meehs New Member

It seems like the true "roadies" eschew triples. Even though some of them could probably use them! Keep in mind these are probably the same guys that won't put a small tool bag on their bike or wear a Camelbak because the pros don't do it (never mind the fact that the pro they're modeling themselves after has a team car following him replete with a spare bike, professional mechanic and tool kit, and gallons of water and sports drink). In other words; get what works for you.

20. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Yeah,but they always seem to have room for a stick in their azzes....right?