"Double" Rear Deraileur with Tripe Crank....does it matter

I also ride my MTB on the road only. I changed the cranks to Shimano 105s, and use 39/45 chainwheels
with the original FD.

I think most of the shifting problems (with the 1-tooth jump cassette) I had were due to too much
chain between the pulley wheel and sprockets. The original RD was a cheap Shimano Altus, and I now
have a 105 which works fine.

Heikki

Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
>canwine-<< Well, some say you should never be simultaneously in your smallest (or smaller) chain
>ring and cogs. And you should 'never' leave the stop light in your car in 3rd, instead of first
>gear on a manual, but of course, lots of people make this 'mistake'.

Yes. Now that's an argument against a too-short chain for the big-big, but I don't see it's an
argument against bad performance in the small-small, because when you shift into the small-small by
accident you'll just notice the vile noise and shift it back.

J. Price <[email protected]> wrote:
>.............Every road triple I have is set up with a short cage RD.

But it doesn't have to be that way. Have a long cage - it's probably built to accomodate larger rear
sprockets, too. You may not want it _now_, but there's no reason not to have the most flexible
equipment.

> >.............Every road triple I have is set up with a short cage RD.
>
> But it doesn't have to be that way. Have a long cage - it's probably built to accomodate larger
> rear sprockets, too. You may not want it _now_, but there's no reason not to have the most
> flexible equipment.
> --

If a short cage derailleur works with his setup, why change? If you need a bigger cassette later,
get a new rear derailleur later. I've always told people to run what they've got till it wears out,
THEN upgrade.

Mike

Mike S. <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote:
>David Damerell:
[Please don't delete attribution lines]
>>But it doesn't have to be that way. Have a long cage - it's probably built to accomodate larger
>>rear sprockets, too. You may not want it _now_, but there's no reason not to have the most
>>flexible equipment.
>If a short cage derailleur works with his setup, why change?

Presumably, judging from the original post, the bike shop have put the wrong thing on and will
exchange it at no charge if pressed.

> >>But it doesn't have to be that way. Have a long cage - it's probably
built
> >>to accomodate larger rear sprockets, too. You may not want it _now_, but there's no reason not
> >>to have the most flexible equipment.
> >If a short cage derailleur works with his setup, why change?
>
> Presumably, judging from the original post, the bike shop have put the wrong thing on and will
> exchange it at no charge if pressed.
> --

It may or may not be the wrong thing. We don't know. If it works, run it. If it doesn't THEN make
'em fix it. I'm not the wrench that installed the derailleur, you're not the wrench that installed
the derailleur, we just don't know enough about the whole setup to comment intelligently. Doesn't
stop us from commenting, however...

Mike

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 02:54:52 GMT, "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup
"@thankyou.com> wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> When I got a new mountain bike, I converted my old XTR bike to a kind of city bike by puting a
>> rigid fork, 1.50 slicks, and a 12-23 cassette on it. Rear shifting was sloppy until I put on an
>> Ultegra double rd which works perfectly. Of course, the old rd may have been worn and the close
>> ratio cassette does't stretch the derailleur's capacity as much.
>
>Did you shorten the chain when you installed the 12-23?
>
>Barry

I'm not sure to tell the truth because I put on a new chain and didn't compare them. I imagine the
new one is a couple links shorter. I use the big/big plus one link system and never have problems.

Mike S. <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote:
>David Damerell:
>>Mike S:
>>>David Damerell:

DO NOT DELETE ATTRIBUTION LINES. [also, I've cleared up some vile OE quoting - get a real
newsreader!]

>>>If a short cage derailleur works with his setup, why change?
>>Presumably, judging from the original post, the bike shop have put the wrong thing on and will
>>exchange it at no charge if pressed.
>It may or may not be the wrong thing. We don't know.

Yes, we do - we know that a long cage would be more flexible for no real penalty, and that the short
cage is causing problems.