Double saddle bike seats (easyseat)

Barrett

Guest
Hi,
I ride back and forth to work every day (about 5miles each way) and
can't find a seat that fits me right (I also think it's effecting my
health in certain ways). Can someone give me recommendations and advice
based on personal experiance about seats like the "easyseat".

Per Barrett:
>I ride back and forth to work every day (about 5miles each way) and
>can't find a seat that fits me right (I also think it's effecting my
>health in certain ways). Can someone give me recommendations and advice
>based on personal experiance about seats like the "easyseat".

Are you near Philadelphia Penna (USA)?

I've got four of them hanging on my garage wall.

I couldn't make any of them work and you are welcome to try each one.

It's not the seats, it's me.... other people rave about them.

If you're talking about prostate inflammation, see a uro ASAP. You *really*
don't want that to become chronic - it'll definitely change the rest of your
life.

--
PeteCresswell

"(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Per Barrett:
> >I ride back and forth to work every day (about 5miles each way) and
> >can't find a seat that fits me right (I also think it's effecting my
> >health in certain ways). Can someone give me recommendations and

advice
<snip>
> If you're talking about prostate inflammation, see a uro ASAP. You

*really*
> don't want that to become chronic - it'll definitely change the rest

of your
> life.
>
> --
> PeteCresswell

Little known fact: Chronic prostatitis can be aggravated by any form of
caffeine - coffee, tea, chocolate, some OTC medications and so on.

Chas. Retro Grouch

"Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
> I ride back and forth to work every day (about 5miles each way) and
> can't find a seat that fits me right (I also think it's effecting my
> health in certain ways). Can someone give me recommendations and advice
> based on personal experiance about seats like the "easyseat".

These saddles don't seem very popular. I've heard that
although the design looks intriguing, they don't work
very well. I have no personal experience with them.
If you have tried lots of other "regular" saddles,
perhaps it is worth a try for you.

I am very happy with the comfort of my commuter bike.
I attribute it to the more upright riding position from
the non-drop bar positioned slightly higher than the
saddle and my Brooks B67 sprung saddle.

Many long distance touring cyclists and commuters
really like the Brooks leather saddles better than
the typically very narrow, ultralight, minimalist
racing saddles that are most popular these days.

BobT

Per Barrett:
>Can someone give me recommendations and advice
>based on personal experiance about seats like the "easyseat".

Are you riding rigid, hard tail, or FS?

If A or B, is your saddle sprung?

If not, I'd recommend a sprung saddle for starters, then angling it properly so
it doesn't bear on your perineum. My experience has been that to angle it
properly, the springing can't be too loosey-goosey; it has to be kind
of firm.

Those two factors, springing and angle, can have a major effect on your plumbing
system.

My pref for a sprung saddle is either

- Brooks' B-72: Soft enough to do the job, stiff enough to retain control

OR

- Cane Creek's ThudBuster: Maybe overkill for road use, but it lets you chose
form many more saddles (i.e. the unsprung world....which is much, much larger
than the sprung world.).
--
PeteCresswell

Per (PeteCresswell):
>then angling it properly so
>it doesn't bear on your perineum. My experience has been that to angle it
>properly, the springing can't be too loosey-goosey; it has to be kind
>of firm.

Also, the surface of the saddle can't be too soft or you sit bones sink in
leaving the rest of the saddle to press where you don't want to be pressed.

That's an advantage of the Brooks product: nice and firm.
--
PeteCresswell

Barrett wrote:
> Hi,
> I ride back and forth to work every day (about 5miles each way) and
> can't find a seat that fits me right (I also think it's effecting my
> health in certain ways). Can someone give me recommendations and advice
> based on personal experiance about seats like the "easyseat".

You probably don't want to hear this but I'm a retired, car-free person
and have about 5 bikes, all with Brooks seats.

I haven't owned any cycling shorts since the 80's and just don't seem
to get any comfort issues.

Of course, your butt may not be the same as mine. :)

Lewis.

*****

[email protected] wrote:
> Barrett wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I ride back and forth to work every day (about 5miles each way) and
> > can't find a seat that fits me right (I also think it's effecting my
> > health in certain ways). Can someone give me recommendations and advice
> > based on personal experiance about seats like the "easyseat".

> You probably don't want to hear this but I'm a retired, car-free person
> and have about 5 bikes, all with Brooks seats.
>
> I haven't owned any cycling shorts since the 80's and just don't seem
> to get any comfort issues.
>
> Of course, your butt may not be the same as mine. :)

Most of us do not ride with the combination of clip and straps and bare
feet either:
<http://www.bicyclecommuter.com/images/AlternativeBikes/HomeBuilts/LewsCampbellsYellowBent.jpg>!
;)

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

[email protected] wrote:
> Barrett wrote:

> You probably don't want to hear this but I'm a retired, car-free
> person and have about 5 bikes, all with Brooks seats.
>
> I haven't owned any cycling shorts since the 80's and just don't seem
> to get any comfort issues.

Blimey Limey!

Barrett wrote:
> Hi,
> I ride back and forth to work every day (about 5miles each way) and
> can't find a seat that fits me right (I also think it's effecting my
> health in certain ways). Can someone give me recommendations and advice
> based on personal experiance about seats like the "easyseat".

These seats aren't a bad idea, but they don't work because a normal
bicycle frame requires you to extend your legs /downward/ to pedal. So
(for an upright bike frame) you need a seat that has a "nose", and any
seat that has a "nose" isn't going to be very supportive (and that's why
no other vehicles or chairs use the same kind of seat!). After years of
riding moderately-expensive ($1500) upright road and MTB bikes, I can
say that I never found any seat to be much different than any other.
Using a full-suspended MTB helps somewhat, as does a suspension
seatpost, but they don't get around the cause of the problem which is
the tiny saddle. It's now my belief that if you can't stand the upright
bicycle saddle, then you shouldn't buy ANYTHING that has one.

There are a class of bikes being made now that were an outgrowth of the
"comfort"-type bikes. RANS makes their sport series, which they call
crank-forward bikes. These use a very-relaxed "diamond frame", almost a
low-rider (you can put both feet on the ground while sitting on the
seat) and also use a special noseless seat. After getting rid of my
upright bikes I didn't think I'd be buying any more--but I have bought a
Fusion and it pretty much eliminates saddle discomfort, and there's very
little pressure on your hands/arms. There's a bit of getting used to the
seat because the edges are flexible so it's like sitting on top of a big
rubber ball, but there's no pressure from the seat edges and you get
much more seating support, and it's easy as an upright to ride and can
be rode aggresively, and for long distances. The RANS crank-forward
bikes start at around $900.

Lightfoot Cycles also makes a similar-geometry bike, the Surefoot
cruiser, for $750. The Surefoot has one drawback in that it still uses a
conventional bicycle saddle (it comes with a big plush one, but still).

There are other crank-forward bikes available--usually for much
less--such as the Giant Revive and Sun SunRay. I don't think highly of
most of these but they can work for some people. Most of them have two
problems in that they have a relaxed frame geometry but they don't move
the cranks forward enough, and most of the cheaper ones still use a
regular bicycle saddle, which is often a big part of the discomfort
problem.

There's also full-blown recumbents: there's at least three that start at
around $600 (Sun [dealer sales], Cycle Genius [dealer sales] and
Actionbent [mail-order]), and there are used recumbents to be had as
well. Recumbents have a couple disadvantages (more difficult to
transport, more expensive than a similarly-equipped upright bike) but
then,,,, they don't hurt to ride. They are usually a few pounds heavier
than an upright as well--but most riders happily accept that for the
huge increase in riding comfort. From what I've seen, you will be able
to ride a recumbent 3-5 times as far as you would an upright bike. CLWB
recumbents are fairly compact overall and are pretty easy to ride.
~

That ThudBuster thing looks like it has potential. I got to try the
Easyseat...so far I like it. I don't do any rough riding so I think it
will work perfect for me.

Barrett wrote:
> Hi,
> I ride back and forth to work every day (about 5miles each way) and
> can't find a seat that fits me right (I also think it's effecting my
> health in certain ways). Can someone give me recommendations and advice
> based on personal experiance about seats like the "easyseat".

I would have a fit person look at your bike fit first, before you buy
any saddle.

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Barrett wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I ride back and forth to work every day (about 5miles each way) and
> > can't find a seat that fits me right (I also think it's effecting my
> > health in certain ways). Can someone give me recommendations and advice
> > based on personal experiance about seats like the "easyseat".

> I would have a fit person look at your bike fit first, before you buy
> any saddle.

Barrett is a stealth spammer.

<[email protected]>

and
<[email protected]>
,
"Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Anyone try these ergonomic seats yet? Like on:
> http://painfreecycling.com
>
> Just wondering about people's experiances.
>
> Thanks!

<[email protected]>,

--
Michael Press

Peter Chisholm wrote:
> Barrett wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I ride back and forth to work every day (about 5miles each way) and
> > can't find a seat that fits me right (I also think it's effecting my
> > health in certain ways). Can someone give me recommendations and advice
> > based on personal experiance about seats like the "easyseat".

> I would have a fit person look at your bike fit first, before you buy
> any saddle.

Or a..., oh, never mind. ;) [1]

[1] {Foghorn Leghorn voice} "That's a joke... I say, that's a joke,
son"

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!