Double to triple (road)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Zilla, May 1, 2004.

  1. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
    from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
    derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in news:pEOkc.103987$UC4.29433
    @bignews2.bellsouth.net:
    > Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
    > from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
    > derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it.

    Triples need a wider Q-factor. Make sure your chainstays are long enough to
    give you good chainlines across all 3 chainrings.

  3. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Ken <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:pEOkc.103987$UC4.29433 @bignews2.bellsouth.net:
    >> Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
    >> from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
    >> derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it.

    > Triples need a wider Q-factor. Make sure your chainstays are long
    > enough to give you good chainlines across all 3 chainrings.

    Thanks...

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC

  4. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Zilla" wrote
    > > Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
    > > from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
    > > derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it.

    > Triples need a wider Q-factor. Make sure your chainstays are long enough to
    > give you good chainlines across all 3 chainrings.

    This is not true. The inner ring is small enough that it can be added
    and not interfere with the chainstay. Ideally the chainline should be
    on the middle ring, but as a practical matter, it doesn't hurt anything
    to leave it where it was, between the two rings for a double, as that
    way the inner ring is better situated for the bigger sprockets in the
    rear.

    --
    Ted Bennett
    Portland OR

  5. Zilla wrote:
    > Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
    > from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
    > derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it.

    Nope. You'll need a new front derailer, crank and bottom bracket.

    Otherwise, your present parts do support it, if it's the 9-speed version.

    Sheldon "3 Part Harmony" Brown
    | This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons |
    | exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, |
    | send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable |
    | sub-atomic resources for future generations. |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  6. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    "Zilla" <zil[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
    > from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
    > derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it.

    Hi, not sure what you mean by support it. To change from a Ultegra
    double to triple, you will need a triple crankset, a wider BB, and a
    triple front derailleur, at minimum. Depending on cassette and
    chainring size, you may need a long cage rear derailleur. Your
    shifters and chain are compatable with both double and triple,
    although it would be a good idea to put a new chain on with the new
    crankset.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  7. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Zilla wrote:
    >> Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
    >> from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
    >> derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it.

    > Nope. You'll need a new front derailer, crank and bottom bracket.
    >
    > Otherwise, your present parts do support it, if it's the 9-speed
    > version.
    >
    > Sheldon "3 Part Harmony" Brown
    >> This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons |
    >> exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, |
    >> send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable |
    >> sub-atomic resources for future generations. |

    > Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    > Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    > http://harriscyclery.com
    > Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    > http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

    I shouldn't have included "cranks" on my list, of course I'll need new
    cranks to support the 3 rings. Needing a new BB makes sense too
    to support the extra length. I do have a 9-spd front derailleur so are
    you saying that will work? Thanks...

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC

  8. Zilla asked:

    >>>Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
    >>>from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
    >>>derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it.

    I replied:

    >>Nope. You'll need a new front derailer, crank and bottom bracket.
    >>
    >>Otherwise, your present parts do support it, if it's the 9-speed
    >>version.

    > I shouldn't have included "cranks" on my list, of course I'll need new
    > cranks to support the 3 rings. Needing a new BB makes sense too
    > to support the extra length. I do have a 9-spd front derailleur so are
    > you saying that will work? Thanks...

    A front derailer designed for a double will "work" but shifting from the
    small to the middle ring will be very poor, and you will be liable to
    have a lot of chain rub in some gears. I think you would find it quite
    unsuitable.

    The reason I mentioned "9-speed" was that the Ultegra pre 9-speed STI
    shifters were not designed to work with a triple, and the left one won't
    shift 3 rings without a no-longer-available accesory add-on lever.

    Sheldon "My Dad Came From Zillah, Wash." Brown
    | This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons |
    | exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, |
    | send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable |
    | sub-atomic resources for future generations. |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  9. zilla-<< Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
    from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
    derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it. >><BR><BR>

    You need a front der, rear der, crank and BB...if starting with a fairly new
    6500 9s...

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  10. John Rees

    John Rees Guest

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    | zilla-<< Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
    | from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
    | derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it. >><BR><BR>
    |
    | You need a front der, rear der, crank and BB...if starting with a
    fairly new
    | 6500 9s...
    |
    | Peter Chisholm

    Why hasn't anyone suggested a compact crank? He could keep a double and
    get the gear inches he is seeking?

  11. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    "John Rees" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > | zilla-<< Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
    > | from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
    > | derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it. >><BR><BR>
    > |
    > | You need a front der, rear der, crank and BB...if starting with a
    > fairly new
    > | 6500 9s...
    > |
    > | Peter Chisholm
    >
    > Why hasn't anyone suggested a compact crank? He could keep a double and
    > get the gear inches he is seeking?

    Hi, I can't speak for the OP, but how can you be sure that he would
    get the gear inches, that he is seeking? I know for me, I wouldn't
    happy with a compact double. I much prefer the range and selection of
    a 30-39-53, with a 14-25 9-speed cassette.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  12. Soooo, The way I read this thread...If I want to change my Dura Ace triple
    with a 9 speed cassette to a double (compact crank), I only need to change
    the BB, the cranks, and both the derailleurs. I can use the STI shifters
    from the triple setup and just close up the high and low stops. Is this
    right?

  13. cassiel-<< Soooo, The way I read this thread...If I want to change my Dura Ace
    triple
    with a 9 speed cassette to a double (compact crank), I only need to change
    the BB, the cranks, and both the derailleurs. >><BR><BR>

    Nope. Just change the crank and BB. The front der will work with a 50/34 and
    the rear doesn't care how many rings ytou have up front, particularly since the
    DA triple rear der is a shortish cage with big pulleys.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  14. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    Eddie Nosdtromo <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Soooo, The way I read this thread...If I want to change my Dura Ace triple
    > with a 9 speed cassette to a double (compact crank), I only need to change
    > the BB, the cranks, and both the derailleurs. I can use the STI shifters
    > from the triple setup and just close up the high and low stops. Is this
    > right?

    Hi, you can keep your rear derailleur, but you may have problems with
    the left STI triple shifter. THe DA shifters are designed to be
    specific for double and triple.
    Sheldon says that the triple should work with a double, so it is
    definitely worth trying. I guess you could say, it just won't be
    optimized for double.

    >> I can use the STI shifters from the triple setup and just close up

    the high and >> low stops.

    There are no stops on the lever to close. Do a search on DA tiple to
    double by Sheldon, I think he might explain, how to set this up. If
    not, just ask him.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  15. Eddie Nosdtromo

    Jeff Starr wrote:

    > Hi, you can keep your rear derailleur, but you may have problems with
    > the left STI triple shifter. THe DA shifters are designed to be
    > specific for double and triple.
    > Sheldon says that the triple should work with a double, so it is
    > definitely worth trying. I guess you could say, it just won't be
    > optimized for double.

    Yes, this was an imaginary "problem" that was thought up by some folks
    with an axe to grind against Shimano.

    Any triple shifter will work with a double, no problem. The reason
    there were two varieties was that orignially Dura-Ace was double only,
    and they only went to a triple as an afterthought.

    >>>I can use the STI shifters from the triple setup and just close up

    >> the high and low stops.

    > There are no stops on the lever to close.

    Right, the stops are on the derailer, not the shift lever.

    Sheldon "Two Is Less Than Three" Brown
    | Military conscription is the worst form of slavery. |
    | A more enlightened age will consider it a War crime. |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  16. speedygg

    speedygg Guest

    Ken <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in news:pEOkc.103987$UC4.29433
    > @bignews2.bellsouth.net:
    > > Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
    > > from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
    > > derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it.

    > Triples need a wider Q-factor. Make sure your chainstays are long enough to
    > give you good chainlines across all 3 chainrings.

    Personal observation regarding going from double to triple (campy).
    Past 7 years of riding a double with carnac legend shoes and speedplay
    cleats, I did not encounter any issues regarding numbness of feet.
    After switching to a triple 2 months ago, I noticed that my big toes
    in both feet would start going numb. After scratching my head for
    about two months, I had a brain storm. Since triples require wider q
    factor, then my feet are further away from the center of the bike,
    hence my feet are at more of an angle to the cleat than before.
    Hopefully problem will be fixed by moving my cleat to the outside of
    the shoe (bringing shoe closer to the crank arm). It will probably
    take a little time to verify given that my toes are currently pretty
    tender.

  17. Capt Bike-<< Yes, this was an imaginary "problem" that was thought up by some
    folks
    with an axe to grind against Shimano. >><BR><BR>

    Easy there big fella. It may also ber a lack of experience since some of these
    guys are lucky enough to NOT see a lot of shimano....

    Sheldon<< Any triple shifter will work with a double, no problem. The reason
    there were two varieties was that orignially Dura-Ace was double only,
    and they only went to a triple as an afterthought. >><BR><BR>

    Why still make a double left DA shifter than, while also makng a 7703???

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302