Double to triple (road)

Zilla

Guest
Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in news:pEOkc.103987$UC4.29433
@bignews2.bellsouth.net:
> Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
> from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
> derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it.

Triples need a wider Q-factor. Make sure your chainstays are long enough to
give you good chainlines across all 3 chainrings.

Ken <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:pEOkc.103987$UC4.29433 @bignews2.bellsouth.net:
>> Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
>> from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
>> derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it.

> Triples need a wider Q-factor. Make sure your chainstays are long
> enough to give you good chainlines across all 3 chainrings.

Thanks...

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Zilla" wrote
> > Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
> > from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
> > derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it.

> Triples need a wider Q-factor. Make sure your chainstays are long enough to
> give you good chainlines across all 3 chainrings.

This is not true. The inner ring is small enough that it can be added
and not interfere with the chainstay. Ideally the chainline should be
on the middle ring, but as a practical matter, it doesn't hurt anything
to leave it where it was, between the two rings for a double, as that
way the inner ring is better situated for the bigger sprockets in the
rear.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR

Zilla wrote:
> Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
> from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
> derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it.

Nope. You'll need a new front derailer, crank and bottom bracket.

Otherwise, your present parts do support it, if it's the 9-speed version.

Sheldon "3 Part Harmony" Brown
| This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons |
| exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, |
| send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable |
| sub-atomic resources for future generations. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
> from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
> derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it.

Hi, not sure what you mean by support it. To change from a Ultegra
double to triple, you will need a triple crankset, a wider BB, and a
triple front derailleur, at minimum. Depending on cassette and
chainring size, you may need a long cage rear derailleur. Your
shifters and chain are compatable with both double and triple,
although it would be a good idea to put a new chain on with the new
crankset.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
> Zilla wrote:
>> Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
>> from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
>> derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it.

> Nope. You'll need a new front derailer, crank and bottom bracket.
>
> Otherwise, your present parts do support it, if it's the 9-speed
> version.
>
> Sheldon "3 Part Harmony" Brown
>> This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons |
>> exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, |
>> send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable |
>> sub-atomic resources for future generations. |

> Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
> Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
> http://harriscyclery.com
> Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

I shouldn't have included "cranks" on my list, of course I'll need new
cranks to support the 3 rings. Needing a new BB makes sense too
to support the extra length. I do have a 9-spd front derailleur so are
you saying that will work? Thanks...

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Zilla asked:

>>>Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
>>>from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
>>>derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it.

I replied:

>>Nope. You'll need a new front derailer, crank and bottom bracket.
>>
>>Otherwise, your present parts do support it, if it's the 9-speed
>>version.

> I shouldn't have included "cranks" on my list, of course I'll need new
> cranks to support the 3 rings. Needing a new BB makes sense too
> to support the extra length. I do have a 9-spd front derailleur so are
> you saying that will work? Thanks...

A front derailer designed for a double will "work" but shifting from the
small to the middle ring will be very poor, and you will be liable to
have a lot of chain rub in some gears. I think you would find it quite
unsuitable.

The reason I mentioned "9-speed" was that the Ultegra pre 9-speed STI
shifters were not designed to work with a triple, and the left one won't
shift 3 rings without a no-longer-available accesory add-on lever.

Sheldon "My Dad Came From Zillah, Wash." Brown
| This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons |
| exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, |
| send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable |
| sub-atomic resources for future generations. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

zilla-<< Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it. >><BR><BR>

You need a front der, rear der, crank and BB...if starting with a fairly new
6500 9s...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| zilla-<< Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
| from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
| derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it. >><BR><BR>
|
| You need a front der, rear der, crank and BB...if starting with a
fairly new
| 6500 9s...
|
| Peter Chisholm

Why hasn't anyone suggested a compact crank? He could keep a double and
get the gear inches he is seeking?

"John Rees" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> | zilla-<< Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
> | from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
> | derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it. >><BR><BR>
> |
> | You need a front der, rear der, crank and BB...if starting with a
> fairly new
> | 6500 9s...
> |
> | Peter Chisholm
>
> Why hasn't anyone suggested a compact crank? He could keep a double and
> get the gear inches he is seeking?

Hi, I can't speak for the OP, but how can you be sure that he would
get the gear inches, that he is seeking? I know for me, I wouldn't
happy with a compact double. I much prefer the range and selection of
a 30-39-53, with a 14-25 9-speed cassette.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Soooo, The way I read this thread...If I want to change my Dura Ace triple
with a 9 speed cassette to a double (compact crank), I only need to change
the BB, the cranks, and both the derailleurs. I can use the STI shifters
from the triple setup and just close up the high and low stops. Is this
right?

cassiel-<< Soooo, The way I read this thread...If I want to change my Dura Ace
triple
with a 9 speed cassette to a double (compact crank), I only need to change
the BB, the cranks, and both the derailleurs. >><BR><BR>

Nope. Just change the crank and BB. The front der will work with a 50/34 and
the rear doesn't care how many rings ytou have up front, particularly since the
DA triple rear der is a shortish cage with big pulleys.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Eddie Nosdtromo <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Soooo, The way I read this thread...If I want to change my Dura Ace triple
> with a 9 speed cassette to a double (compact crank), I only need to change
> the BB, the cranks, and both the derailleurs. I can use the STI shifters
> from the triple setup and just close up the high and low stops. Is this
> right?

Hi, you can keep your rear derailleur, but you may have problems with
the left STI triple shifter. THe DA shifters are designed to be
specific for double and triple.
Sheldon says that the triple should work with a double, so it is
definitely worth trying. I guess you could say, it just won't be
optimized for double.

>> I can use the STI shifters from the triple setup and just close up

the high and >> low stops.

There are no stops on the lever to close. Do a search on DA tiple to
double by Sheldon, I think he might explain, how to set this up. If
not, just ask him.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Eddie Nosdtromo

Jeff Starr wrote:

> Hi, you can keep your rear derailleur, but you may have problems with
> the left STI triple shifter. THe DA shifters are designed to be
> specific for double and triple.
> Sheldon says that the triple should work with a double, so it is
> definitely worth trying. I guess you could say, it just won't be
> optimized for double.

Yes, this was an imaginary "problem" that was thought up by some folks
with an axe to grind against Shimano.

Any triple shifter will work with a double, no problem. The reason
there were two varieties was that orignially Dura-Ace was double only,
and they only went to a triple as an afterthought.

>>>I can use the STI shifters from the triple setup and just close up

>> the high and low stops.

> There are no stops on the lever to close.

Right, the stops are on the derailer, not the shift lever.

Sheldon "Two Is Less Than Three" Brown
| Military conscription is the worst form of slavery. |
| A more enlightened age will consider it a War crime. |

Ken <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in news:pEOkc.103987$UC4.29433
> @bignews2.bellsouth.net:
> > Except for the obvious set up, any gotchas in going
> > from Ultegra double to triple? I know my shifters,
> > derailleurs, chain, cranks, and BB (what else?) support it.

> Triples need a wider Q-factor. Make sure your chainstays are long enough to
> give you good chainlines across all 3 chainrings.

Personal observation regarding going from double to triple (campy).
Past 7 years of riding a double with carnac legend shoes and speedplay
cleats, I did not encounter any issues regarding numbness of feet.
After switching to a triple 2 months ago, I noticed that my big toes
in both feet would start going numb. After scratching my head for
about two months, I had a brain storm. Since triples require wider q
factor, then my feet are further away from the center of the bike,
hence my feet are at more of an angle to the cleat than before.
Hopefully problem will be fixed by moving my cleat to the outside of
the shoe (bringing shoe closer to the crank arm). It will probably
take a little time to verify given that my toes are currently pretty
tender.

Capt Bike-<< Yes, this was an imaginary "problem" that was thought up by some
folks
with an axe to grind against Shimano. >><BR><BR>

Easy there big fella. It may also ber a lack of experience since some of these
guys are lucky enough to NOT see a lot of shimano....

Sheldon<< Any triple shifter will work with a double, no problem. The reason
there were two varieties was that orignially Dura-Ace was double only,
and they only went to a triple as an afterthought. >><BR><BR>

Why still make a double left DA shifter than, while also makng a 7703???

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302