Double vs Triple

Originally posted by scituatejohn
I use a 39/53 in the front and 12-34 in the back. I don't race, but I like to ride it around for 20 to 40 miles a couple of times per week. I bike just for enjoyment. I like this setup because I don't like the front shifting with triples. The gears are fine for me here in Boston, but when I lived in Northern Georgia, I felt that I was sometimes reaching for a lower gear. I never use the 12. There are a few hills around here that I use the 34 on, but they are mostly out of the way, and I could I avoid them if I wanted to, but sometimes I like a challenge.

So what are you saying?
I think you need to lear to shigt a triple and your hangups about shifting triple will be over.

Originally posted by rider
Weight difference is minimum.
Are you missing something? yes! a third chainring!!!
For ultegra,about 102g or 3.6 oz. Most of which is in the steel granny ring. If yer a real weight weenie,get an aluminum one, and drill it.

Originally posted by dhk
JohnO, el Ingles, Aernout: Thanks for the great responses. I carry top gears that I don't need and only use on my best days, so nothing wrong with low gears that are only there for the worst days/worst terrain. Plus, like the tighter midrange I can get with the 12-25 or 13-26 on the 42 up front.

I'm convinced I'll go with a triple setup on the new bike. Now, Campy vs Shimano is the next decision!

Dan

Campy or Shimano , that tends to get difficult for people to get honest . It´s a choice of style , little more ; Campy has the drawbck of needing to be rebuilt as it wears ( ergolevers ) sometimes as often as every year , so make sure that there is someone local who can do the work but you can repair accident damage , feel is a touch agricultural and rough needing to be felt into position on the chain ring . Shimano is more precise , needing to be merely pushed into position with little force and stays adjusted until your next service / change of cables , covers . It also works until it breaks , very little actually wears in a gradual manner . You can find STI levers working fine after years and years . Downside : when it breaks it tends to be for keeps , repairs are difficlt and replacement of accident damage almost impossible so if you fall off a lot beware .
As always it comes down to personal choice and preferance , Campy hubs having free ballbearings and big S having caged bearings etc . The pros´have proved that they can ride and win with either so it´s all down to choice , both systems work well but feel very different , I would advise that you avoid ten-speed systems for the moment as the life of chains , rings and sprokets can be short and rather expensive to replace .

Originally posted by el Inglés
Campy or Shimano , that tends to get difficult for people to get honest . It´s a choice of style , little more ; Campy has the drawbck of needing to be rebuilt as it wears ( ergolevers ) sometimes as often as every year , so make sure that there is someone local who can do the work but you can repair accident damage , feel is a touch agricultural and rough needing to be felt into position on the chain ring . Shimano is more precise , needing to be merely pushed into position with little force and stays adjusted until your next service / change of cables , covers . It also works until it breaks , very little actually wears in a gradual manner . You can find STI levers working fine after years and years . Downside : when it breaks it tends to be for keeps , repairs are difficlt and replacement of accident damage almost impossible so if you fall off a lot beware .
As always it comes down to personal choice and preferance , Campy hubs having free ballbearings and big S having caged bearings etc . The pros´have proved that they can ride and win with either so it´s all down to choice , both systems work well but feel very different , I would advise that you avoid ten-speed systems for the moment as the life of chains , rings and sprokets can be short and rather expensive to replace .
That's more hooey than I have hard in a long time. Campy and Shimano hubs in the standard groupos both have loose ball and cone bearings for starters. Nothing wrong with 10 speed either.

Originally posted by Memphmann
That would be a good guess about my knee. It was actually due to an older hockey injury. Then a massive 9 rider spell at 65km/h in a Cat2 race.

I could care little what Lemond rides. If he ate ****, would you? My opinion is mine and should have little to do with what or how you ride.......

Memph

Do you have to be so negative all the time ? This is about having fun , nothing more . If having a triple ring helps you to enjoy riding more then what´s the problem ? Just because it´s not your cup of tea doesn´t make your opinion anymore valid or you a nicer person .
Try riding in France or Italy or España and then decide if you want a double or triple , remember half the pelaton rode triples for the Angliru in 2001 and 2002 ( Vuelta de España ) including the stage winner , so does that make Roberto Heras a wimp ?????? I mean , he only won the race this year .

Originally posted by boudreaux
For ultegra,about 102g or 3.6 oz. Most of which is in the steel granny ring. If yer a real weight weenie,get an aluminum one, and drill it.

Me? I got two bikes one with TRIPLE from Campag and the other with a TRIPLE from Shimano. Weight wennie? not me.
What's 102grammes here or there!

....,IMO, since the granny is primaily a bailout anyway,....

It all depends how you use them and what gears you have in your cassette e.g. 12-23 and the size of the chainrings.
The "granny" gear doesn't have to be a bailout gear.

I am proof of STI lasting for-ever. Have well over 30 000km on my DA 8spd STI and still shifts great. Was thinking of replacing them, but instead getting a new bike to race with......

Memph

That's more hooey than I have hard in a long time. Campy and Shimano hubs in the standard groupos both have loose ball and cone bearings for starters. Nothing wrong with 10 speed either.

re ten-speed : didn´t say there was did I , only that the chain etc wears faster and at the moment the replacements are a bit expensive , with time this should change as the aftermarket gears up . If I´m wrong on the bearings then I apologise but the last time I saw a campy hub being stripped the mechanic was chasing balls all over the floor while saying things about Italians that I´m sure he confessed the next Sunday .
I did say that strong feelings and not logic tends to cloud the argument , nobody will admit the faults or flaws in their system , something that complicates choice for the novice .
Nice Talking to you .

Do you have to be so negative all the time ? This is about having fun , nothing more . If having a triple ring helps you to enjoy riding more then what´s the problem ? Just because it´s not your cup of tea doesn´t make your opinion anymore valid or you a nicer person .
Try riding in France or Italy or España and then decide if you want a double or triple , remember half the pelaton rode triples for the Angliru in 2001 and 2002 ( Vuelta de España ) including the stage winner , so does that make Roberto Heras a wimp ?????? I mean , he only won the race this year .

You are right, it is not my cup of tea. I prefer a nice maple.

Yes all pros who use triples are weaker then me. :)

It is all a matter of choice. I live in an area with huge mountains also.....

Memph

You are right, it is not my cup of tea. I prefer a nice maple.

Yes all pros who use triples are weaker then me. :)

It is all a matter of choice. I live in an area with huge mountains also.....

Memph

touche´

It all depends how you use them and what gears you have in your cassette e.g. 12-23 and the size of the chainrings.
I did not say it had to be. There are lots of variables Check a gear inch chart. Using the smaller cogs when in the granny does not do alot for drivetrain life.

The people I ride with don't have triples but we do call the small chain ring and the large cog the Girl Scout combo...gimme' some Thin Mints:D :D :D

Hey, I can take the taunts. My son's favorite was "Uh dad, live a little", "it's the lever on the leftl"; "did we lose Mr Big today?"....etc, etc.

We've got women around here who don't need triples either....I know, because they regularly smoke me on long hills.

20 years ago I wouldn't even consider a triple....but age has a way of catching up. You young guys need to learn some respect to your elders. Time to go finalize my order on the new Barcalounger...I mean bike.

Dan

Originally posted by dhk
Hey, I can take the taunts. My son's favorite was "Uh dad, live a little", "it's the lever on the leftl"; "did we lose Mr Big today?"....etc, etc.

We've got women around here who don't need triples either....I know, because they regularly smoke me on long hills.

20 years ago I wouldn't even consider a triple....but age has a way of catching up. You young guys need to learn some respect to your elders. Time to go finalize my order on the new Barcalounger...I mean bike.

Dan

Dan...there's always golf...
:D

Just finalized the order on new hotrod bike this afternoon. I figure the 2 lb 14 oz frame, plus the Velomax wheels, should take most of those 20 years off...I'm hoping for that, anyway.

Dan

Originally posted by dhk
Just finalized the order on new hotrod bike this afternoon. I figure the 2 lb 14 oz frame, plus the Velomax wheels, should take most of those 20 years off...I'm hoping for that, anyway.

Dan

Another older weak rider on an expensive bike. Great equipment does not make up for age or physical weakness. It sure is fun blowing by you guys....

Memph

Another older weak rider on an expensive bike. Great equipment does not make up for age or physical weakness. It sure is fun blowing by you guys....

Memph
I've sure made alot of guys like you look bad.