Double vs Triple

I live in one of the hilliest areas of the UK. I have a new bike on order, and have specified a triple, to enable me to spin a little more on some of the steeper hills.
I just think that a lot of this debate is about ego.
It seems to me that a triple has many advantages. The only real disadvantages centre on weight (what difference do a few grammes make?), and image. Unless you are racing at the top level, the advantages must outweigh the disadvantages.

Originally posted by retrogeek
I love triple crank set ups so I am reposting this from another thread to add my two cents worth to the dicussion. I wouldn't worry too much about the weight issue when putting together a bike, a good set up and a good fit for "you" are more important than grams and ounces.

I use a triple chainring to get a more even spread across the gearing range, rather than only using it for beating big hills. 90% of the time I will just use an 12-21 rear cog-set and adjust the gearing range by swaping out various combinations of front chainrings.

For the flats and rolling hills I will use a 50-42-32 front chainring setup for a close and even spread of gears, at 44 I can no longer push a 53/12 for any great length of time so I don't even bother to try any more, and a 32/21 is plenty low enough for this purpose.

For bigger hills I will use a 53-39-30 front chainring setup (53 for the downhills only), as a 30/21 is approximately equal to a 39/27-28. If I need anything lower geared than this (which I seldom do) I will then put on an 12-23 rear cogset, as a 30/23 is approximately equal to a 39/30.

I use a bar-end shifter for the front derailier since I have never felt comfortable with Ergopower or Dual Control front shifters, it's just a personal preference.

Need a 32 for flats & rolling hills. How slow are you going????

Memph

The 32 is a last resort "bailout" gear if you run into a hill bigger than you expected.

I have had a couple of experiences where when you ask about the route to be ridden, that you yourself have never riden, and the person telling you will say it is no problem, very easy, give it a go. And, yes, maybe 99% of the route will be easy, except for that one killer wall at the end to finish off the ride that you have to go up to get back to your car. I do a lot of riding in unfamiliar territory, i.e. I travel and move a lot, therefore I like to be prepared for the unexpected. When you use a 21 tooth rear sprocket as your largest cog, it can be very easy to not have a low enough gear with a 42 or 39 tooth front chainring, hence the inner ring is my bailout option in case of emergency.

My love for triple chainrings is based on that, you can be prepared for everything immaginable and still have a straight block 12-21 rear cassette.

Originally posted by retrogeek
The 32 is a last resort "bailout" gear if you run into a hill bigger than you expected.

I have had a couple of experiences where when you ask about the route to be ridden, that you yourself have never riden, and the person telling you will say it is no problem, very easy, give it a go. And, yes, maybe 99% of the route will be easy, except for that one killer wall at the end to finish off the ride that you have to go up to get back to your car. I do a lot of riding in unfamiliar territory, i.e. I travel and move a lot, therefore I like to be prepared for the unexpected. When you use a 21 tooth rear sprocket as your largest cog, it can be very easy to not have a low enough gear with a 42 or 39 tooth front chainring, hence the inner ring is my bailout option in case of emergency.

My love for triple chainrings is based on that, you can be prepared for everything immaginable and still have a straight block 12-21 rear cassette.

This has to be an age thing. I've never come to a mt where my 39x21 was not low enough. Rode up 10-15km, 7-10% hills in this gear. As I wrote must be an age thing. I might need that low a gear when I'm your age. Then again I might never live to find out. Either get hit by a vehicle or stabbed in the back... :)

Memph