Douglas bicycles at Colorado Cyclist

terrell

Feb 22, 2004
I've been looking for a Ti road bike and I came across the Douglas bikes on CC. Does anyone know who makes the Ti frames and has anyone heard anything about them?

Thanks for link that helped out a lot. The Ti bike is made by Ti Sports, but I'd still like to hear about it if anyone knows anything.

I thought litespeed made them. Bicycling mag gave them a nice review and liked them. You know litespeet has a new ti model out this year under 2000 bucks.

Originally posted by shokhead1
I thought litespeed made them. Bicycling mag gave them a nice review and liked them. You know litespeet has a new ti model out this year under 2000 bucks.

No, I called Colorado Cyclist and they said that they have a company called Ti Sports which is based out of Washington making their 3AI/2.5V tubinig. He wasn't sure who makes their 6AI/4V bike tubing, but maybe that the one that is made by litespeed. I'm looking at the Douglas Precision Ti bike with full ultegra. They are asking $1849.00 for it. I've narrowed it down to that bike and the new Firenze from Litespeed for $1999.00. I'm leaning toward the Douglas just because of components that come with it. Beter wheels, fork, no 105 components. Anyone have any advice. It seems like your paying for the name if I get the Litespeed.

There have always been "shop brand" bicycles around. Palo Alto cycles used to have their own label, Performance did too, and Nashbar still does.

Thing is, if these places want to sell quality off-brand bikes they would probably be smarter to leave the decals off altogether rather than making up some name thinking it sounds like it really IS a brand. Everyone knows that Douglass bikes are Colorado Cyclist store brand, everyone knows that Scattante is Supergo. It's like advertising that you don't support your LBS. But if you have a bike with no identifying marks whatever it's like saying "brands aren't important to me".

I saw a Douglass Ti bike a couple weeks ago and it does look better than I imagined it would - but I snubbed the guy.

Originally posted by DiabloScott
There have always been "shop brand" bicycles around. Palo Alto cycles used to have their own label, Performance did too, and Nashbar still does.

Thing is, if these places want to sell quality off-brand bikes they would probably be smarter to leave the decals off altogether rather than making up some name thinking it sounds like it really IS a brand. Everyone knows that Douglass bikes are Colorado Cyclist store brand, everyone knows that Scattante is Supergo. It's like advertising that you don't support your LBS. But if you have a bike with no identifying marks whatever it's like saying "brands aren't important to me".

I saw a Douglass Ti bike a couple weeks ago and it does look better than I imagined it would - but I snubbed the guy.

Oooh!! Snubbing someone for the type of bike they ride, how mature!!:rolleyes:

Since most of the LBS's in my area are rip-off artists that deserve to be put out of business, I know now know how to support the effort!
Thanks for the advice.
:pSupergrillers are super girrls!!

I am from the Springs and my first bike I bought last year was a Douglas fusion for around (sale price) $1,400. I know very little about the technology of bikes and components; but, all I know is it is a beautiful ride/looks good and the folks in the Cycling Club think it's a beauty too! Beauty of a bike without a HUGE credit card bill! I took a huge tumble in November and believe it or not .. thankfully the bike wasn't damaged .. yipee .. built like a tank, rides like a dream! Where are you located? Maybe there is someone out there that could give you a test ride! Good luck in looking and making your choice!

I'm located in Nor Cal. I think I've actually made up my mind. I'm going with the Douglas Precision Plus, a Ti road bike with carbon seat stays. We'll see what happens, thanks.