Douglas Bikes from Colorado Cyclist...Are they any good?

Vector7

Sep 13, 2003
I am wondering if any of the members of this group have any experience with riding/racing Douglas Bikes from Colorado Cyclist? I am teetering on the fence whether to buy one as a training bike. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best Wishes,
Vector7

Originally posted by nyterider03
Litespeed makes them.

Really?! I never knew that. Knowing this gives me more confidence in the frame strength and responsiveness. How did you discover this information? Just wondering. Thanks a million!

Best Wishes,
Vector7

I was at the c cyclist store yesterday in springs. They have a nice display of Litespeeds and a rack of the Douglas. I was informed that Douglas bikes are actually made for Colorado Cyclist. I am not sure if they are actually made by litespeed. I have a Macalu titanium that was made for another bike shop called Excel Sports. My Macalu frame is actually made by Litespeed in fact it is the same geometry as the Litespeed Arenburg...so I would say there is a good chance that Douglas frames are made by Litespeed...but to make sure just call Colorado Cyclist. oh by the way the Douglas bikes look nice up close too. ps if you ride a 57cm I have a Macalu posted under the classifieds. brian

Originally posted by Bripeters
I was at the c cyclist store yesterday in springs. They have a nice display of Litespeeds and a rack of the Douglas. I was informed that Douglas bikes are actually made for Colorado Cyclist. I am not sure if they are actually made by litespeed. I have a Macalu titanium that was made for another bike shop called Excel Sports. My Macalu frame is actually made by Litespeed in fact it is the same geometry as the Litespeed Arenburg...so I would say there is a good chance that Douglas frames are made by Litespeed...but to make sure just call Colorado Cyclist. oh by the way the Douglas bikes look nice up close too. ps if you ride a 57cm I have a Macalu posted under the classifieds. brian

I do ride a 57cm. How tall are you? I'm 5'11. Let me know.

Best Wishes,
Vector7

I am 5'11" as well. My Macalu has shimano ultegra and a Reynolds Ouza Pro fork. It has Mavic Open Pro wheelset. I have ridden it for 2 years. It is in great shape...no crashes..dents..or scratches. I have had a local shop take care of it at the end of the season both years. It has ritchey seatpost and stem. If you access excel sports you will see the exact bike..the Macalu Professional. I opted to take the Macalu stickers off. This frame is made by Litespeed and has the same geometry specs as the Litespeed Arenburg. If you happen to live on the front range of the rockies let me know and we can arrange a up close inspection. I am asking 1400. Feel free to contact me at 917-647-2487

I just called colorado cycles and found out that litespeed does NOT manufacture these frames. its a firm out of washington. there is NO connection between the two. that being said i would like to find out recommendations from owners as the price is sensational for a TI frame.

Originally posted by Vector7
I am wondering if any of the members of this group have any experience with riding/racing Douglas Bikes from Colorado Cyclist? I am teetering on the fence whether to buy one as a training bike. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best Wishes,
Vector7
:eek:

Originally posted by ruprickt
I just called colorado cycles and found out that litespeed does NOT manufacture these frames. its a firm out of washington. there is NO connection between the two. that being said i would like to find out recommendations from owners as the price is sensational for a TI frame.

I just got my new Douglas last Friday...and I have to tell you...It's a dream to ride. Fast, supple, nimble in tight turns... and comfortable as heck!!!

I was so impressed with the bike that I called CC to let them know how satisfied I am with the bike they built me. I couldn't be more pleased. I give the Douglas two thumbs up!!! I went Dura Ace with a Shimano Flight Deck Computer, Speedplay Zero Pedsals, and this set-up has been excellent. The bike only weighs in at 16.5 lbs. with pedals, computer, and two bottle cages. Not too shabby for a sub $2,000 road bike.

What more can I say?

Best Wishes,
Vector7

how did you get this for less than $2000 ?

Originally posted by Vector7
I just got my new Douglas last Friday...and I have to tell you...It's a dream to ride. Fast, supple, nimble in tight turns... and comfortable as heck!!!

I was so impressed with the bike that I called CC to let them know how satisfied I am with the bike they built me. I couldn't be more pleased. I give the Douglas two thumbs up!!! I went Dura Ace with a Shimano Flight Deck Computer, Speedplay Zero Pedsals, and this set-up has been excellent. The bike only weighs in at 16.5 lbs. with pedals, computer, and two bottle cages. Not too shabby for a sub $2,000 road bike.

What more can I say?

Best Wishes,
Vector7

Originally posted by ruprickt
how did you get this for less than $2000 ?

The bike was less than $2,000. I race Cat1 and i get a discount when I buy bikes. I should have clarified. The pedals and Shimano Flight Deck were purchased seperately along with my cages. I hope this helps.

Best Wishes,
Vestor7

I am looking at ordering a Douglas and was hoping to get a better deal by getting the 2004. It doesn't appear that there is much difference in price. Does anyone know what the main difference is b/w 2004 and 2005 besided only $100.00?

:confused:

ruprickt said:

Could it be.....???

Titanium Sports Technology

Manufacturers and distributes titanium golf shafts and bicycle frames. Kennewick, Washington, US

http://www.titaniumsports.com/

Joe Faust said:
Could it be.....???

Titanium Sports Technology

Manufacturers and distributes titanium golf shafts and bicycle frames. Kennewick, Washington, US

http://www.titaniumsports.com/
TST does in fact make the Colorado Cyclist house frames. They make great frames with all USA titanium. Prior to making Douglass they contracted for many companies including ibis and mongoose.

Friend of mine used to be the head frame builder and needless to say i got a great deal on a titanium road frame.

Bripeters said:
The guys at Excel informed me that the Macalu titanium frames are made by Merlin not Litespeed which would make sense because Excel sells Merlin frames and not Litespeed.

JS

Vector7 said:

Best Wishes,
Vector7
I just purchased a Douglas Matrix with Ultregra gruppo from Colorado Cyclist, after riding and racing on an OCLV Trek for years. This bike is excellent for any purposes, training, racing, club rides, etc. It is about the same weight as my 58cm Trek (I bought a M/L Douglas bike) and is more responsive. It is smooth as silk and extremely comfortable. I would have no problems racing on this bike as one or two pounds makes little difference. If I want to climb faster I will lose 10-15 pounds of bodyweight, but I don't need a 15 lb bike to excel. It is more about the rider and the training than the bike, within certain parameters. So, back to the bike. It kicks ass, especially for the price. No regrets whatsoever.

My Matrix is in the mail. Went with Dura Ace and virtual 60 cm size. Unfortunately I am going on vacation and wont be able to ride bike till Sept 1. Look for my report that night. Bought my current ride 17 years ago from CC. A Basso Ascot with full Dura Ace. Ironically it cost about the same as my new ride... $2250 in the door.

I've been riding and racing on a Douglas Matrix carbon frame all summer. I've got 3K+ miles on it and so far it's been a good buy.

Mine is equipped with Campy Chorus, Record hubs with cheap Mavic Open Pro's for training and Mavic Reflex sew-ups for racing. Both sets of wheels are set up 32-spokes, 3-cross. With the clinchers mounted it's 17-3/4 pounds IIRC (with pedals, no bottles).

It's plenty stiff, handles well, tracks perfectly and it makes a perfect throwaway frame for racing. The fork is much stiffer (better IMO) than the wimpy Easton EC-90-SLX that's on my Litespeed. The bottom bracket is stiff enough for hard sprinting and climbing. The ride 'quality' is plenty good enough to suit me and I ride some pretty crappy roads for three and four hours at a stretch.

My only concern is durability/longevity. It came with a 2-year frame/fork warranty. While that's not the most impressive vote of confidence offered by manufacturers, time will tell.

Just had maiden voyage on my new Douglas Matrix with Dura Ace. This is one nice ride!! Absolutely NO complaints. I am counting this as one of best purchases made in my life. Fits me like custom. Smooth. Bought polar bottles, cateye strata wireless, and bontragger bar end things and I am good to go. Expect a 500 mile report within the month. It is century season and I am so looking forward to it. I currently have older pedals and shoes and with the cash I saved on this (compared to $3000 options) I can afford to upgrade these. If you are considering this bike I would wholeheartedly recommend. Guess we still dont know who makes this frame or what materials but at this point I couldnt give a hoot.

forgot to post my 500 mile report. very happy with bike. managed 500 for september with no problems; no rattles, no dropped chain, nothing. would definitely recommend this bike. oxford, ms clubmates give the bike the thumbsup on looks to boot. unfortunately will only be able to ride on weekends now since not much light after work. plus a lot of my road-buddies switching to the mountain bikes for afterwork rides till there is no light at all.