Dover - Durness

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by davek, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. davek

    davek Guest

    Jo wrote:
    > Has anybody done this route? Or live near parts of it?

    I could probably give you some useful pointers on the Kent leg of your
    trip, eg avoid the Meday towns (Chatham/Rochester/Gillingham) like the
    plague. The only way to cross the Medway north of Maidstone is to go
    right through the middle of this densely built-up area and weave your
    way through heavy urban traffic.

    Best to aim for a route that takes you south of Maidstone then bypass it
    to the west - starting from Dover, I'd recommend heading out past
    Folkestone and Hythe towards Tenterden (there are some lovely back roads
    that will help you avoid Folkestone itself - I'll rustle up some
    directions for you when I have a moment) then turn NW to bypass
    Tunbridge Wells to the north. Or you could head north from Dover towards
    Canterbury then turn across country and go via Lenham and Yalding.

    Either way, it's essential that you make a minor detour for a pint or
    two over lunch at the superb Swan in West Peckham, before continuing up
    through Wrotham and Meopham towards Gravesend.

    I don't know for sure but I believe you can take bikes on the
    Gravesend-Tilbury ferry.

    Beyond that, you're out of my territory.

    d.

    Tags:

  2. Jo

    Jo Guest

    I am in the process of planning my D-D trip, which will take place about
    April/May next year. I made enquiries of a local (Durness) bus company to
    see if I could get a guaranteed place for my bike on the bus to Inverness
    for the first leg of my return home. (The web site said it would be at the
    driver's discretion) I had a reply within hours to say that if I told them
    when I wanted to travel they would make sure there is space, and as of next
    year they will have a cycle trailer. You can't beat that for service!
    Has anybody done this route? Or live near parts of it? I would be
    interested in any tips, but would particularly like info on river
    crossings: - Thames (Gravesend-Tilsbury ferry), Humber bridge, Tyne, Tees,
    Forth bridge (pretty sure this is ok on a bike). The tunnel from Jarrow is a
    particular concern.
    Jo

  3. John Burns

    John Burns Guest

    > Has anybody done this route? Or live near parts of it? I would be
    > interested in any tips, but would particularly like info on river
    > crossings: - Thames (Gravesend-Tilsbury ferry), Humber bridge, Tyne, Tees,
    > Forth bridge (pretty sure this is ok on a bike). The tunnel from Jarrow is a
    > particular concern.

    I'd budget for walking across the Forth Bridge is the wind is half
    decent! If you're using the Kessock Bridge near Inverness there's a
    decent cycle way, hope you don't mind heights ;-)

    --
    Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :)
    Email: [email protected], John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

  4. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    John Burns [email protected] opined the following...
    > I'd budget for walking across the Forth Bridge is the wind is half
    > decent! If you're using the Kessock Bridge near Inverness there's a
    > decent cycle way, hope you don't mind heights ;-)

    Wus! In the worst case you'll struggle up the first half, but the
    descent into Fife is always good.

    And in case this didn't answer the question; Yes. You can cycle over the
    Forth Road bridge.

    Jon

  5. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    John Burns <[email protected]> wrote in news:411BD269.2172
    @unixnerd.demon.co.uk:

    > If you're using the Kessock Bridge near Inverness there's a
    > decent cycle way, hope you don't mind heights ;-)

    The Kessock Bridge is a bit high isn't it. I don't know what it is about it
    as it appears much higher than other bridges of a similar height.

    Graeme

  6. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Graeme wrote:

    > The Kessock Bridge is a bit high isn't it. I don't know what it is about it
    > as it appears much higher than other bridges of a similar height.

    It didn't bother me on the recent Tour du Nord. OTOH being on a 'bent
    it's rather difficult to envisage disappearing over the side and I was
    more concerned with the bastard headwind that had been supplied for the
    occasion.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  7. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:46:29 GMT someone who may be "Jo"
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >would particularly like info on river
    >crossings: - Thames (Gravesend-Tilsbury ferry), Humber bridge, Tyne, Tees,
    >Forth bridge (pretty sure this is ok on a bike).

    There is a cycle path on both sides of the bridge, but the eastern
    side is probably the easiest to get to.

    The cycle route from Edinburgh to the bridge is not the easiest to
    follow, after all it is only Route 1 of the NCN. It is not ideal to
    go the way motor vehicles do, especially in this direction, while
    loaded down with luggage. So I recommend the very good Edinburgh
    City Cycle Map from http://www.spokes.org.uk/oldsite/ordermap.htm
    which shows the route.

    prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  8. Roos Eisma

    Roos Eisma Guest

    David Hansen <[email protected]> writes:

    >The cycle route from Edinburgh to the bridge is not the easiest to
    >follow, after all it is only Route 1 of the NCN.

    That seemed to be a recurrent theme when we were following the NCN1 signs
    between Aberdeen and Thurso. Sometimes very well signed (Moray was all
    very well done, with some very nice routes along coastal paths and old
    railway lines and no silly access gates) but quite often there were plenty
    of signs where you didn't need them (along straight stretches), and when
    you'd get near a city there would be a single sign directing you into some
    sort of estate maze, and no signs after that telling you how to get out
    again...

    Roos

  9. ARCred

    ARCred Guest

    The Humber Bridge has cycle/footways on each side, there is always one open.

    Andrew.

  10. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest