Down Tube Shifter on Canondale 2.8 Frame

wiredued

Aug 17, 2004
A friend of mine broke his 9 speed Dura Ace STI right side shifter and wants to use a dura ace down tube shifter on the right side to get him through the riding season. He says it doesn't fit his Canondale 2.8 frame though. So is there a way to make it fit? He was also told by the LBS that his Dura Ace STI shifter is not repairable is that true? Should he be looking for new 10 speed STI in maybe SRAM or Campy and are they repairable? Thanks

wiredued said:
A friend of mine broke his 9 speed Dura Ace STI right side shifter and wants to use a dura ace down tube shifter on the right side to get him through the riding season. He says it doesn't fit his Canondale 2.8 frame though. So is there a way to make it fit? He was also told by the LBS that his Dura Ace STI shifter is not repairable is that true? Should he be looking for new 10 speed STI in maybe SRAM or Campy and are they repairable?
Shimano shifters are nothing short of impossible to "repair" outside of the factory assembly line.

Campy shifters are repairable.

SRAM shifters theoretically repairable, buy you can't get parts.

You can use a bar-end shifter ... if indexed shifting isn't a priority, you can use almost any bar-end shifter from any vintage ...

If indexing is important, then a 9-speed Shimano bar end shifter are an option (but, could cost almost as much as a pair of Campy shifters off of eBay -- $80-to-$400+) ... heck, those 9-speed Shimano downtube shifters aren't exactly cheap.

The 10-speed Campagnolo shifters can be indexed to a 9-speed Shimano drivetrain by using the hubbub.com alternate rear derailleur cable anchoring (i.e., at 3 o'clock instead of 6 o'clock).

Dura Ace bar-end shifters can be had for about $50, I use them on my TT bike. They can even be set to friction (non-index) mode if need be.

wiredued said:
A friend of mine broke his 9 speed Dura Ace STI right side shifter and wants to use a dura ace down tube shifter on the right side to get him through the riding season. He says it doesn't fit his Canondale 2.8 frame though. So is there a way to make it fit? He was also told by the LBS that his Dura Ace STI shifter is not repairable is that true? Should he be looking for new 10 speed STI in maybe SRAM or Campy and are they repairable? Thanks

If the frame has a downtube shifter boss(rather than just a cable stop),yes, a DT shifter will fit on there. No STI are not repairable. Yopu can try to flush with WD-40, then spray lube but if it's busted it is adios.

Sram is 'repairable' altho small parts are pretty tough to come by. Campagnolo is repairable, 2006 levers and 2009 levers. The 2007/8 Centaur and below are not, the 2007/8 Record/Chorus are.

Get a 10s Campagnolo lever, any Campagnolo rear derailleur. This will shift shimano 9s spacing really well. OR Campagnolo 10s lever, sram road rear derailleur, this shifts shimano/sram 10s spacing. So you won't have to get a new rear wheel(for the Campag cogset if you want to go 10s).

I was looking at the Campy record and it looked like it had a thumb clicker and a paddle:confused: Is that correct can you shift to a smaller cog using either one or is the paddle for shifting to a larger cog and the thumb clicker the only way to a smaller cog?