down tube shifters

bcm_motherwell

Sep 12, 2007
hi there just trying to fix my mate's bike. its a chaz roberts. quite old skool by the looks of things. its got the gear shifters on the down tube and the one that operates the rear mech isnt holding. was just wondering if there is a way of fixing this or if the shifter is for the bin. If so, are most of these shifters screw on like the ones on the bike just now.
would be very gratefull for your replys
thanx
brian

If it's a friction shifter (hunt & feel), there should be a thumbscrew on the lever pivot. If not a thumbscrew, a slotted head that can take a small coin or fat screwdriver. Simply tighten this until the friction bearing holds. If it doesn't, something is missing.

You can buy new replacement parts for this old school stuff at www.bikepartsusa.com, or used on eBay.

bcm_motherwell said:
hi there just trying to fix my mate's bike. its a chaz roberts. quite old skool by the looks of things. its got the gear shifters on the down tube and the one that operates the rear mech isnt holding. was just wondering if there is a way of fixing this or if the shifter is for the bin. If so, are most of these shifters screw on like the ones on the bike just now.
You CAN remedy the situation ...

I "fixed" an old Campy downtube shifter which was LOOSER (no resistance!):
  • you will need the soft plastic cap from a milk jug ... the cap is to make replacements for the WORN WASHER(s) ... one washer per cap.
  • you will need to cut a hole in the center of the cap that closely matches the downtube shifter's clamp anchor/stub (either on-the-frame OR on-a-separate-clamp) ... a slightly SMALLER hole is OK as the plastic will stretch over the stub.
  • now, trim the cap to fit "inside" the inner recess of the shift lever whereby the hole is in the middle
  • put the makeshift "washer" on the clamp/frame stub
  • reassemble: FRAME -> PLASTIC WASHER -> SHIFT LEVER -> OUTER WASHER -> BOLT
I don't know how long it will last ... it could last a month, a season, OR almost forever ...

When your makeshift "washer" wears out, you simply have to make another one.

It will probably take less than 5 minutes to make the "washer" & fix the shifter if you use a the cap from a milk jug. Using any OTHER material will probably take longer.

Before you do all of this, disassemble the shifter, clean all of the parts in alchohol (rubbing, not drinking), and reassemble without any lubricant. A lot of people think that a little oil will make the shifter last longer. Unfortunately it ends up acting just as you have described. Friction shifters were designed to be used lubricant free. If this does not cure the problem, try alfeng's washer or old bobcat's suggestion.