Downhill Around Vermont

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Timothy Lee Bur, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Ski areas in Vermont that take mountain bikes up the lifts:

    Stratton (800-843-6867) Killington (800-621-7669) Jay Peak (800-451-4449)

    Ski areas in New Hampshire that take mountain bikes up the lifts:

    Bretton Woods (800-232-2972) Loon Mountain (603-745-8111) Waterville Valley (603-236-4666) Attitash
    (603-374-2368)

    Ski areas in Maine that take mountain bikes up the lifts:

    Sunday River (800-543-2754)

    Reference: http://www.ltolman.org/93arch/94731.htm

    Tags:

  2. "Timothy Lee Burgher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | Ski areas in Vermont that take mountain bikes up the lifts:
    |
    | Stratton (800-843-6867) Killington (800-621-7669) Jay Peak (800-451-4449)
    |
    | Ski areas in New Hampshire that take mountain bikes up the lifts:
    |
    | Bretton Woods (800-232-2972) Loon Mountain (603-745-8111) Waterville Valley (603-236-4666)
    | Attitash (603-374-2368)
    |
    | Ski areas in Maine that take mountain bikes up the lifts:
    |
    | Sunday River (800-543-2754)
    |

    | Reference: http://www.ltolman.org/93arch/94731.htm

    It's an article from 1994 and you can't even quote it properly.

    --
    Pete Fagerlin

    http://www.petefagerlin.com/wacko.htm

  3. Morryjg

    Morryjg Guest

    [email protected] (Timothy Lee Burgher) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Ski areas in Vermont that take mountain bikes up the lifts:

    > Ski areas in New Hampshire that take mountain bikes up the lifts:

    > Ski areas in Maine that take mountain bikes up the lifts:

    There's a recurring theme in this post....something about "SKI AREA." The east coasters being such
    masters at making snow and it being winter time (i.e. ski season) I think DH'ing is a little out of
    season there.

    -Jack

  4. Hello everyone. How are you supposed to quote internet material? I think I should have kept what I
    typed exactly as I found it in the 1994 article, but I thought the new structure was easier to read.

    Thanks, Tim

  5. Pete Fagerlin wrote:
    > "Timothy Lee Burgher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > | Ski areas in Vermont that take mountain bikes up the lifts:
    > |
    > | Stratton (800-843-6867) Killington (800-621-7669) Jay Peak (800-451-4449)
    > |
    > | Ski areas in New Hampshire that take mountain bikes up the lifts:
    > |
    > | Bretton Woods (800-232-2972) Loon Mountain (603-745-8111) Waterville Valley (603-236-4666)
    > | Attitash (603-374-2368)
    > |
    > | Ski areas in Maine that take mountain bikes up the lifts:
    > |
    > | Sunday River (800-543-2754)
    > |

    > | Reference: http://www.ltolman.org/93arch/94731.htm
    >
    > It's an article from 1994 and you can't even quote it properly.
    >
    > --
    > Pete Fagerlin
    >
    > http://www.petefagerlin.com/wacko.htm

    Not to mention the fact that its winter, and all the ski areas are set for skiing, not biking....

    Jon "Commander" Bond

  6. Morryjg

    Morryjg Guest

    [email protected] (Morryjg) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Timothy Lee Burgher) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > > Ski areas in Vermont that take mountain bikes up the lifts:
    >
    > > Ski areas in New Hampshire that take mountain bikes up the lifts:
    >
    > > Ski areas in Maine that take mountain bikes up the lifts:
    >

    > There's a recurring theme in this post....something about "SKI AREA." The east coasters being such
    > masters at making snow and it being winter time (i.e. ski season) I think DH'ing is a little out
    > of season there.
    >
    > -Jack

    Dang....I hate the delay in posting using Google groups. I gotta find a way to get to a different
    news server at work.

    -J

  7. I meant for the coming summer... that's how I see it at least. Some people are still saying the
    coming winter but I can't wait to get out there biking again. I am still riding here in Vermont but
    it's getting really cold.

    Also, someone told me riding a bike with cold knees is like driving a car with no oil. Actually, I
    think I read that on www.mtbr.com. Is that true. I know my hands feel worse on the computer when my
    room is cold...

    Tim

  8. Sorry about that spreading around of the information. All I did was change the subject. I did not
    think that would start a whole separate thread. Is that what I did wrong or am I missing
    something else?

    Tim

  9. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Timothy Lee Burgher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | I meant for the coming summer... that's how I see it at least. Some people are still saying the
    | coming winter but I can't wait to get out there biking again. I am still riding here in Vermont
    | but it's getting really cold.
    |
    | Also, someone told me riding a bike with cold knees is like driving a car with no oil. Actually, I
    | think I read that on www.mtbr.com. Is that true. I know my hands feel worse on the computer when
    | my room is cold...
    |
    | Tim

    Tim I personally take glucosamine sulphate (sulfate) to help maintain joints within the body. Should
    help keep your knees in tip top order during cold rides.

    Simon

  10. "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>

    | Tim I personally take glucosamine sulphate (sulfate) to help maintain
    joints
    | within the body. Should help keep your knees in tip top order during cold rides.

    Do you have knee osteoarthritis or does "knee maintenance" fall under the placebo heading?

    --
    Pete Fagerlin

    http://www.petefagerlin.com

  11. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Pete Fagerlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]... <snip>
    |
    | | Tim I personally take glucosamine sulphate (sulfate) to help maintain
    | joints
    | | within the body. Should help keep your knees in tip top order during
    cold
    | | rides.
    |
    | Do you have knee osteoarthritis or does "knee maintenance" fall under the placebo heading?

    Not sure why I humour this guy with a response but :

    Glucosamine sulphate taken every day has been proven to prevent the onset of joint wastage and
    arthritic complaints. I rock climb and cycle hence knees and elbows recieve alot of use. GS has
    helped too with recovery times after accidents.

    Shame it doesnt help with irritations of the news group kind

    Simon........ dont take my word for it, as ya doctor!

    | --
    | Pete Fagerlin
    |
    | http://www.petefagerlin.com

  12. "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...

    <snip>

    | Glucosamine sulphate taken every day has been proven to prevent the onset
    of
    | joint wastage and arthritic complaints.

    LOL.

    Ok. You made the claim.

    Are there any medical studies that back up your miraculous claims about the prevention of arthritis
    and/or joint wastage?

    Good luck.

    --
    Pete Fagerlin

    http://www.petefagerlin.com

    p.s. The Lancet study showed the efficacy of glucosamine sulphate for treating people with
    osteoarthritis. That's all.

  13. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "<snip>
    | LOL.
    |
    | Ok. You made the claim.
    |
    | Are there any medical studies that back up your miraculous claims about
    the
    | prevention of arthritis and/or joint wastage?
    |
    | Good luck.
    |
    | --
    | Pete Fagerlin
    |
    | http://www.petefagerlin.com
    |
    | p.s. The Lancet study showed the efficacy of glucosamine sulphate for treating people with
    | osteoarthritis. That's all.

    http://www.vitaminuk.com/pages/articles/glucosaminesulphate.htm proof enough? it is for me, I use it
    and have found it works wonders.

    Simon ... Prevention is better than a cure

  14. "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    | "<snip>
    | | LOL.
    | |
    | | Ok. You made the claim.
    | |
    | | Are there any medical studies that back up your miraculous claims about
    | the
    | | prevention of arthritis and/or joint wastage?
    | |
    | | Good luck.
    | |
    | | --
    | | Pete Fagerlin
    | |
    | | http://www.petefagerlin.com
    | |
    | | p.s. The Lancet study showed the efficacy of glucosamine sulphate for treating people with
    | | osteoarthritis. That's all.
    |
    | http://www.vitaminuk.com/pages/articles/glucosaminesulphate.htm proof enough? it is for me, I use
    | it and have found it works wonders.
    |
    | Simon ... Prevention is better than a cure

    Ahem, "medical studies" not marketing pap from vitamin pushers.

    How about:

    "Scientific studies have not determined the optimum dose for either of the Most common formulations
    of glucosamine--GS or GH. It is not clear if glucosamine has a cartilage-protecting action. It is
    not clear at what stage of OA glucosamine is most efficacious. It is not clear whether GS and GH are
    equally efficacious. It is not known how glucosamine compares to other common OA therapies. Two
    studies have compared GS to ibuprofen. One found GS superior, and one found the two medications
    equivalent in terms of pain relief. The mechanism of effect of these medications hasn't been
    identified. There is no conclusive evidence that glucosamine is more effective when combined with
    chondroitin sulfate."

    http://www.arthritis-glucosamine.net/glucosamine/science/glucosamine-back-p ain.html

    --
    Pete Fagerlin http://www.petefagerlin.com

  15. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "<snip usual gumpf>

    http://www.arthritis-glucosamine.net/glucosamine/science/glucosamine-back-p
    | ain.html
    |

    | --
    | Pete Fagerlin http://www.petefagerlin.com

    That link dictates a question as to wether or not existing sufferers should take GS my response was
    to prevent this..

    Now I shall use your link and web site to turn your argument around
    http://www.arthritis-glucosamine.net/glucosamine/glucosamine-joint-health.ht ml

    That says it all: GS helps prevent damage.

    Peter or p e t e as you now call yourself just give up flogging a dead horse. The site you used to
    counteract my statements in fact has more pro's than con's.

    Have fun with this now dead end. I for one wont continue a seemingly pointless "banging of head
    against a brick wall"

    Simon ... the cyclist without arthritic complaints

  16. "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>

    | Now I shall use your link and web site to turn your argument around

    http://www.arthritis-glucosamine.net/glucosamine/glucosamine-joint-health.h t
    | ml
    |
    | That says it all: GS helps prevent damage.

    Huh? Did you read the entire page?

    "The bottom line

    No one has initiated a study to find out exactly how supplements prevent joint disease among
    healthy people."

    Which part of "medical study" are you struggling with?

    --
    Pete Fagerlin ...another cyclist without arthritic complaints. It must be due to my beer
    consumption. http://www.petefagerlin.com

  17. "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
    |
    | > | http://www.vitaminuk.com/pages/articles/glucosaminesulphate.htm proof enough? it is for me, I
    | > | use it and have found it works wonders.
    | > |
    | > | Simon ... Prevention is better than a cure
    | >
    | > Ahem, "medical studies" not marketing pap from vitamin pushers.
    | >
    | > How about:
    | >
    | > "Scientific studies have not determined the optimum dose for either of
    the
    | > Most common formulations of glucosamine--GS or GH. It is not clear if glucosamine has a
    | > cartilage-protecting action. It is not clear at what stage of OA glucosamine is most
    | > efficacious. It is not clear whether GS and GH are equally efficacious. It is not known how
    | > glucosamine compares to other common OA therapies.
    Two
    | > studies have compared GS to ibuprofen. One found GS superior, and one
    found
    | > the two medications equivalent in terms of pain relief. The mechanism of effect of these
    | > medications hasn't been identified. There is no conclusive evidence that glucosamine is more
    | > effective when combined with chondroitin sulfate."
    |
    | So it's been proven to actually do some good then?

    " It is not clear if glucosamine has a cartilage-protecting action." seems to be pretty
    straight-forward to me.

    The Lancet study shows that it is helpful for folks with osteoarthritis, hence my question about
    whether Simon has osteoarthritis.

    --
    Pete Fagerlin http://www.petefagerlin.com

  18. Simon

    Simon Guest

    | No one has initiated a study to find out exactly how supplements prevent joint disease among
    | healthy people."
    |
    | Which part of "medical study" are you struggling with?
    |

    | --
    | Pete Fagerlin ...another cyclist without arthritic complaints. It must be due to my beer
    | consumption. http://www.petefagerlin.com

    Okay I said I wouldnt but some things are too easy:

    No one has initiated a study to find out "exactly how".......blah blah

    Says it all, it does the job but no one has studied exactly how and why!

    Struggling with medical study nope.

    Simon ..... happy knowing GS works and looking forward to seeing pete popping pills for arthritus.

  19. "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | Okay I said I wouldnt but some things are too easy:
    |
    | No one has initiated a study to find out "exactly how".......blah blah
    |
    | Says it all, it does the job but no one has studied exactly how and why!

    How can you know it does its job (preventing knee problems as you and the vitamin marketers claim),
    if it hasn't been studied and/or quantified?

    Have you ever heard of the placebo effect?

    GS has been shown to help folks with osteoarthritis (Lancet et al) but even those folks don't make
    the HUGE jump that you do and claim that it has preventative use.

    | Struggling with medical study nope.

    Sorry, it's apparent that you are.

    | Simon ..... happy knowing GS works

    How do you know?

    and looking forward to seeing pete
    | popping pills for arthritus.

    Yup, I certainly will be someday due to a bad knee and missing cartilege but why you would be
    looking forward to watching someone pop pills is beyond me, if not downright strange.

    --
    Pete Fagerlin http://www.petefagerlin.com