I have a 1985 Univega with Suntour shifters on the downtube. But both shifters are built into a single unit, and bolted to a single braze-on on the top of the downtube. (Instead of each shifter being bolted to its own braze-on on the side of the downtube, like "normal"😉
I want to convert to bar end shifters. I have been utterly unable to locate downtube cable stops to bolt on in place of the current shifters. So far my only option seema to be to put on clamp-on cable stops and leave the current shifter boss unused. Which would work, but I would prefer to bolt the cable stops on.
Part of my problem is I don't even know what search terms to use to search for the right part. Did Suntour have a special name for this shifter model?
Part of my problem is I don't even know what search terms to use to search for the right part. Did Suntour have a special name for this shifter model?
Suntour called that model the "Symmetric". Moving the rear shifter also caused the front one to automatically move slightly, supposedly so that the chain wouldn't rub on the front derailleur cage as the angle changed.
I have a 1985 Univega with Suntour shifters on the downtube. But both shifters are built into a single unit, and bolted to a single braze-on on the top of the downtube. (Instead of each shifter being bolted to its own braze-on on the side of the downtube, like "normal"😉
I want to convert to bar end shifters. I have been utterly unable to locate downtube cable stops to bolt on in place of the current shifters. So far my only option seema to be to put on clamp-on cable stops and leave the current shifter boss unused. Which would work, but I would prefer to bolt the cable stops on.
Part of my problem is I don't even know what search terms to use to search for the right part. Did Suntour have a special name for this shifter model?
Although you _could_ make up a custom double-stop to fit that aero boss, a simple double-stop chromed clamp positioned just above it (your boss keeps the clamp from sliding) would work just fine. $5.
-- Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971