Downtube friction shifters

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Romulus, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Romulus

Romulus New Member

I've asked around about it before, and finally took it apart today, an old Schwinn Continental... Wanted to ask if anybody has a set of downtube shimano friction shifters which they would not mind to spare. I would like to replace the factory shifters, which are new... but I don't like them... So if you have a set of downtube shimano friction shifters just lying around or that you may have available other ways, I'd really appreciate it. Please please please...

Thank you

Tags:

2. Romulus

Romulus New Member

Noone? please.... help...

3. spacefuzz

spacefuzz New Member

go to goodwill or something and get an old bike w/ friction shifters for $2. thats what i do when i need parts.

4. steve_wmn

steve_wmn New Member

What kind of factory shifters are you replacing? I have some old Shimano 105 downtube shifters ('87 vintage) that are switchable between SIS and friction modes. They're on my primary road bike though so I'm not really looking to give them away.

5. sam218

sam218 New Member

can this work with 10 speed shimano?

6. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Sure, they have a friction mode. You have to have the proper downtube bosses to mount them on.I'm assuming you have stem shifters and no no bosses. You can scavage off thrift store bikes or check LBS for any old clamp on friction types they may have. Mine aren't for giveaway.