downtube front shifter?

Kbh

Guest
Hi,

Since I'm building up a triple setup, and all I have are double Ultegra shifters, I'm considering
the 'Lance' configuration where I use a downtube shifter for the front, STI in the rear. I'm using
an Ultegra triple front derailleur. Question is:

I have an old set of Shimano AS-550 (RX-100) downtube shifters (came with a double setup) where the
rear is indexed or friction and the front, I believe, is friction only. Could this possibly be used?
I recall that it used a front derailleur with a different pull ratio than an 'STI' derailleur, but
I'm wondering that if that matters in friction mode, as long as it can pull enough cable to cover
the triple range.

Kyle

kbh9-<< Since I'm building up a triple setup, and all I have are double Ultegra shifters,

New Ultegra or older 8s ultegra? New 9s Ultegra is double or triple.

<< I have an old set of Shimano AS-550 (RX-100) downtube shifters << where the rear is indexed or
friction and the front, I believe, is friction only. Could this possibly be used?

Yep, no problem, just use a triple front der.

> New Ultegra or older 8s ultegra? New 9s Ultegra is double or triple.

Are you sure that all Ultegra 9s shifters are triple capable? Mine are 9s, purchased sometime in
2000 (they might be 1999 models). When setup as a triple, is the position with trim the middle? As a
double, I had it set up so that you could trim while in the big ring. So perhaps I had another click
that I never knew was there.

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 10:43:59 -0500, KBH wrote:

>> New Ultegra or older 8s ultegra? New 9s Ultegra is double or triple.
>
> Are you sure that all Ultegra 9s shifters are triple capable? Mine are 9s, purchased sometime in
> 2000 (they might be 1999 models). When setup as a triple, is the position with trim the middle? As
> a double, I had it set up so that you could trim while in the big ring. So perhaps I had another
> click that I never knew was there.

Surely you aren't talking about a downtube left lever, are you? The OP asked about "Lance style"
using a friction left downtube lever -- and AFAIK there is no other kind of left downtube lever
other than friction.

My follow-up is asking about Ultegra 9s STI. I must have the 6500 or 6501, which I'm hearing, are
triple capable.

news:p[email protected]...

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<1044378559.134557@sj-nntpcache-3>...
> My follow-up is asking about Ultegra 9s STI. I must have the 6500 or 6501, which I'm hearing, are
> triple capable.

Your original question asked whether you could use dt shifter, on I presume the left side for front
derailleur use, with your sti right side shifter. The response was Yes. Now you want to know if
your Ultegra 9 sti shifters are triple compatible? According to Shimano.com, its Ultegra ST-6510
shifters are "Lightweight Dual Control Levers provide a precision 9-speed shifting action. Left
lever can be used with double or triple cranks". If you want "lightweight", do as suggested, and
use a dt (left) shifter for your front shifter and your STI (right) shifter, that's basically what
Lance does in the mtns....

> "Steve Palincsar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...

> > > Are you sure that all Ultegra 9s shifters are triple capable? Mine are 9s, purchased sometime
> > > in 2000 (they might be 1999 models). When setup as a triple, is the position with trim the
> > > middle? As a double, I had it set up so that you could trim while in the big ring. So perhaps
> > > I had another click that I never knew was there.
> >
> > Surely you aren't talking about a downtube left lever, are you? The OP asked about "Lance style"
> > using a friction left downtube lever -- and AFAIK there is no other kind of left downtube lever
> > other than friction.

If you can pull enough cable it will work. I would not personally use
it. The Lance configuration works well for the double where you can just shift all the way to one
end or the other. With the triple, you will have to "find" the middle ring. I am sure with
enough practice it could become second nature, but it might be inconvenient at least in the
beginning.

Alex

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<1044368998.650200@sj-nntpcache-5>...
> Hi,
>
> Since I'm building up a triple setup, and all I have are double Ultegra shifters, I'm considering
> the 'Lance' configuration where I use a downtube shifter for the front, STI in the rear. I'm using
> an Ultegra triple front derailleur. Question is:
>
> I have an old set of Shimano AS-550 (RX-100) downtube shifters (came with a double setup) where
> the rear is indexed or friction and the front, I believe, is friction only. Could this possibly be
> used? I recall that it used a front derailleur with a different pull ratio than an 'STI'
> derailleur, but I'm wondering that if that matters in friction mode, as long as it can pull enough
> cable to cover the triple range.
>
> Kyle

You mean Lance doesn't use a triple? ;-)

Excellent point.

KBH <[email protected]> wrote:
> You mean Lance doesn't use a triple? ;-)

Don't laugh. There were several pros using triples in last year's Vuelta a España.

Art Harris

>If you can pull enough cable it will work. I would not personally use
>it. The Lance configuration works well for the double where you can just shift all the way to one
> end or the other. With the triple, you will have to "find" the middle ring. I am sure with
> enough practice it could become second nature, but it might be inconvenient at least in the
> beginning.

I think it take very little practice to make this shift, its not like there are 10 positions you are
trying to hit, you just have to get it about 1/2 the way between big and small.

And since you can trim it however you want, and can use it with any front derailleur you chose, it
certainly has advantages over STI.

jon isaacs

[email protected] (AlexZN) wrote:

>If you can pull enough cable it will work. I would not personally use
>it. The Lance configuration works well for the double where you can just shift all the way to one
> end or the other. With the triple, you will have to "find" the middle ring. I am sure with
> enough practice it could become second nature, but it might be inconvenient at least in the
> beginning.

Ummm, how do you think we shifted triples before the 90's? ;-)

>"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<1044368998.650200@sj-nntpcache-5>...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since I'm building up a triple setup, and all I have are double Ultegra shifters, I'm considering
>> the 'Lance' configuration where I use a downtube shifter for the front, STI in the rear. I'm
>> using an Ultegra triple front derailleur. Question is:
>>
>> I have an old set of Shimano AS-550 (RX-100) downtube shifters (came with a double setup) where
>> the rear is indexed or friction and the front, I believe, is friction only. Could this possibly
>> be used? I recall that it used a front derailleur with a different pull ratio than an 'STI'
>> derailleur, but I'm wondering that if that matters in friction mode, as long as it can pull
>> enough cable to cover the triple range.
>>
>> Kyle

Conclusion:

I will first attempt using my left Ultegra STI shifter, a) to see if it really is triple capable,
and then b) to see if it will shift satisfactorily with my
non-super-pinned-ramped-and-matched-for-STI-shimano chainrings. If a or b don't pan out, I'll give
the DT a try.

Thanks,

Kyle

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1044368998.650200@sj-nntpcache-5...
> Hi,
>
> Since I'm building up a triple setup, and all I have are double Ultegra shifters, I'm considering
> the 'Lance' configuration where I use a downtube shifter for the front, STI in the rear. I'm using
> an Ultegra triple front derailleur. Question is:
>
> I have an old set of Shimano AS-550 (RX-100) downtube shifters (came with
> double setup) where the rear is indexed or friction and the front, I believe, is friction only.
> Could this possibly be used? I recall that it used a front derailleur with a different pull ratio
> than an 'STI' derailleur, but I'm wondering that if that matters in friction mode, as
long
> as it can pull enough cable to cover the triple range.
>
> Kyle

The only problem I see with it is aesthetic. I either have to use my clunky STI lever for the brake,
or a Shimano Aero lever, in which the hood is a different shape than the STI hood (smaller surface,
sharper upturn at the tip).

news:[email protected]...

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 09:31:28 -0500, "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Since I'm building up a triple setup, and all I have are double Ultegra shifters, I'm considering
>the 'Lance' configuration where I use a downtube shifter for the front, STI in the rear.

While it seems to be fashionable to refer to this as the "Lance" configuration, let's give credit
where credit is due. Lance is FAR from the first to use this setup. See:

http://www.hampsten.com/assets/images/home/new/large_image.jpg

It's a picture of Andy Hampsten in the 1992 TdF. Also notice that the others in the shot are using a
mix of components. Indurain is using Campy Ergo, while the others (who I can't identify) appear to
have downtube shifters right and left.

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Conclusion:
>
> I will first attempt using my left Ultegra STI shifter, a) to see if it really is triple capable,
> and then b) to see if it will shift satisfactorily with my
> non-super-pinned-ramped-and-matched-for-STI-shimano chainrings. If a or b don't pan out, I'll give
> the DT a try.

No need to install and try - just listen to the clicks. There should be 4(?) clicks to the left
shifter if it is triple compatible. Just loosen the front deraileur cable, use the small lever to
downshift to the lowest position and then count the clicks while upshifting. I hope you are using
an Ultegra triple FD. It is a system of plug and play ease. Ultegra components are race level and
DIRT cheap.

And this is a problem because . . . what? I seem to recall riding many bikes for many years doing
exactly that. John Thurston Juneau, Alaska

[email protected] (AlexZN) wrote in message
> ... I would not personally use it.
> . . . With the triple, you will have to "find" the middle ring.

One more option. Try a derailleur that is pre pinned and ramped cogs...if you can find one. Try any
Campy 8/9/10 front derailleur. In my limited experience, the Campy relys less on the ramps and pins
to get the chain up.

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Conclusion:
>
> I will first attempt using my left Ultegra STI shifter, a) to see if it really is triple capable,
> and then b) to see if it will shift
satisfactorily
> with my non-super-pinned-ramped-and-matched-for-STI-shimano chainrings.
If
> a or b don't pan out, I'll give the DT a try.

Regarding "see if it really is triple capable," you need only look under the rubber cover to check
the model number of your shifter.

As others have noted here, the current model (ST-6510) is double or triple compatible, The first one
(ST-6400) was double only.