Downtube shifters for triple chainrings

Ron338

Feb 7, 2004
I'm building a touring bike using Deore 8 speed front and rear derailleurs. I want to use downtube shifters. I purchased a pair of Sora 8 speed downtube levers, but noted in the instructions that they were designed for a 16 speed. Will this shifter work with a triple front derailleur? If not, does anyone know where I can get a downtube shifter that will work?

The travel on the left lever may go along ways on it travel but I would sure give it try. It should be fine.

Originally posted by pudster
The travel on the left lever may go along ways on it travel but I would sure give it try. It should be fine.

Thanks Pudster! I hope it does work, as it's been IMPOSSIBLE to find any other 8 speed downtube shifters!

Originally posted by pudster

Thanks Pudster! I hope it does work, as it's been IMPOSSIBLE to find any other 8 speed downtube shifters!

Originally posted by Ron338
I'm building a touring bike using Deore 8 speed front and rear derailleurs. I want to use downtube shifters. I purchased a pair of Sora 8 speed downtube levers, but noted in the instructions that they were designed for a 16 speed. Will this shifter work with a triple front derailleur? If not, does anyone know where I can get a downtube shifter that will work?
I have yet to see a downtub shifter that wouldn't, even small diameter ones that never had a triple in mind.