downtube shifters - no bosses

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kbh, Jun 2, 2003.

  1. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    Is there any way (clamp on adapter, etc...) to mount downtube shifters on a frame with no bosses?
    (and yes I know Rivendell sells the downtube to bar end adapter).

    Thanks,

    Kyle

    Tags:

  2. Wiscottsin

    Wiscottsin Guest

    "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is there any way (clamp on adapter, etc...) to mount downtube shifters on
    > frame with no bosses? (and yes I know Rivendell sells the downtube to bar end adapter).
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Kyle

    If you don't care about index shifting, you can probably find a nice set of older
    campy/shimano/suntour downtube shifters with a clamp on bracket ( no braze-ons required ) in the
    backroom of a bike shop that has been around a while.

    If you have a frame that you really like, and intend on keeping it a while, find a framebuilder who
    could braze some on for you ( assuming it is steel ).

  3. uo093

    uo093 Guest

  4. "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Is there any way (clamp on adapter, etc...) to mount downtube shifters on a frame with no bosses?
    >(and yes I know Rivendell sells the downtube to bar end adapter).

    Of course there is a way - clamp-on downtube shifters, as was found on many early-eighties mid-range
    road bikes. Now go find some!

    p.s. I have a spare set if you can live with friction shifting!

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    KBH wrote:
    > Is there any way (clamp on adapter, etc...) to mount downtube shifters on a frame with no bosses?
    > (and yes I know Rivendell sells the downtube to bar end adapter).

    Some of the old clamp-on downtube shifters (like Shimano 105) incorporated dummy bosses onto which
    their normal-type levers attached. You could fit
    d/t levers of your choice to these if you could find some old used ones.

    I'm using some for downtube stops for Ergos.

    ~PB

  6. "WiScottsin" <[email protected]> writes:

    >"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Is there any way (clamp on adapter, etc...) to mount downtube shifters on a frame with no bosses?

    >If you don't care about index shifting, you can probably find a nice set of older
    >campy/shimano/suntour downtube shifters with a clamp on bracket ( no braze-ons required ) in the
    >backroom of a bike shop that has been around a while.

    Campy shifters after about 1977 had this type of clamp. I have 3 sets of campy shifters and they are
    all different.

    Early ones : have "Campagnolo Vincenza" raised letters on the levers, raised hemispheres around the
    outside, chromed "Pat Campagnolo" retainers, flat on one side and convex on the other. "Pat
    Campagnolo" bolt with thumb adjuster. Classic. Probably unsuitable for mounting braze-on levers.

    Middle ones : have "Campagnolo" on the levers, etched into the metal, lowered hemisphers around
    the outside, metal and black washers, "Pat Campagnolo" bolt with thumb adjuster. suitable hardware
    for braze-on.

    Late ones : have "Campagnolo" on the levers, etched into the metal, lowered hemisphers around the
    outside of the levers, levers held to body with plastic and black washers and "<C>" bolt with thumb
    adjuster. imho really crappy looking. suitable hardware for braze-on.

    - Don Gillies San Diego, CA

  7. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest