downtube shifters on a MTB?

debubowman

Jan 7, 2005
Hi,
Is it possible to fit a MTB with 9 speed or friction downtube shifters? It doesn't have braze-on's for them. I'm trying to convert a mountain bike into a touring bike, and I really really dislike gripshifters and triggershifters, or whatever they're called. i like thumbshifters, and i have read that it's possible to use bar-end shifters as thumbshifters with a special mount, but this would be too expensive. thanks for any suggestions.

sorry, I can't help you, but I must say, I am impressed.
I thought single-speeders were doing it hard.

debubowman said:
Hi,
Is it possible to fit a MTB with 9 speed ....
9-speed on MTB is getting fairly common I'd say...
...or friction downtube shifters?
Depends on the tool skills of yourself and your friends. Making a clamp that holds two friction shifters and goes around the down tube is no big deal. Anyone with a small stash of scrap metal and some soldering/brazing gear should be able to make something like that fairly easily.
I'm trying to convert a mountain bike into a touring bike,
That will give probably give you a sturdy bike, but will it really meet enough requirements to be a decent tourer? MTBs are generally designed with manouverability in mind, while a tourer usually has a longer wheel base and whatnot to provide a more stable ride. Does it have attachment points for a rack and and lowriders?
...i like thumbshifters,
Then why don't you try to find thumbshifters? Harris cyclery claims to be good at finding parts for old bikes, or you can look for an old bike from a garage sale or something to scrap for parts.

thanks for the replies. i think i'll try out some friction thumbshifters since 9 speed indexed don't seem to exist. i just got an old bianchi mtb with a pretty long wheelbase. i hope it works well...

debubowman said:
thanks for the replies. i think i'll try out some friction thumbshifters since 9 speed indexed don't seem to exist. i just got an old bianchi mtb with a pretty long wheelbase. i hope it works well...

What about bar end shifters designed for touring/TT bikes? You could plug them into handlebar mounted bar ends for a pretty cool/ weird effect. You might be able to bodge them and find a way to attach them to the downtube...