Downtube shifters, thumbs up or thumbs down?

One thing you can do with brifters that would be a challenge to do with DT shifters: shift front and back at the same time.

The downtube shifters are right next to each other. I've shifted both with one hand lots of time.

Originally Posted by dare- .

The downtube shifters are right next to each other. I've shifted both with one hand lots of time.
So, you've shifted both DT levers simultaneously lots of times?

When I shift up or down the front...i tend to shift the back to make the shift less jarring. It's not exactly simultaneous but I only reach down once.

I have a bike with STI and one with downtubes (indexed). I prefer the STI but just barely. On twisty downhills, I feel a little antsy letting go of the bar. Pros of DT: you can run across the cassette with a one movement, less housing friction.
How often do you need to run across the whole cassette? My Campy Record will do that, but I've never needed to do it. I can't think of where such an abrupt change of gearing would be necessary.

Originally Posted by alienator .

The cycling terminology police might hunt you down for saying "brifter." /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif
That term has been around as long as 8 speed Campag ergopower shifters. If anything, the terminology police should be after people that say "Campy". Do you see Campyagnolo on your equipment anywhere? ;)

It's all over my Campy stuff. Maybe I get a special, limited edition version.

I have a bike with STI and one with downtubes (indexed). I prefer the STI but just barely. On twisty downhills, I feel a little antsy letting go of the bar. Pros of DT: you can run across the cassette with a one movement, less housing friction.

I used down tube shifters for 40 years, you get use to them rather quickly. I use to live in California and rode the mountains for both training and racing, it never bothered me to reach for a shifter going down a winding, twisting, high speed descent. It's all about how sure of yourself you are at controlling your bike. I've know guys, (not the racing crowd) that were fearful of grabbing their water bottles and drinking and replacing the bottle without stopping!! but I have no problem riding my road bikes on gravel, across fields and grass with 700 x 23c tires either, obviously soft stuff that allows the tires to cut deep would be a no go. But I've done some minor off road stuff on a road bike and never lost control, as I'm sure some of you have too. It's just knowing how good you are at bike control.

Now on a heavy loaded touring bike, letting go one hand to grab a down tube shifter could be a challenging. One of my touring bikes has bar end shifters but the other that I ride for touring just has down tube shifters, so I have to be a bit more careful when I make a shift, but that bike is yet to be fully loaded for a long tour, I've only done weekend tours with about 30 pounds of gear on it. When I get ready for a longer tour and thus will need to carry about 60 pounds of stuff I'll put on bar end shifters. But for now I can control the bike with one hand good enough.

I hate downtube shifters...but for really cold winter rides when you've got big clumsy mittens or lobster-claw gloves on, they're the bomb.