Downtube Shifters to STI question...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by tepidarium, Feb 21, 2004.

1. tepidarium

tepidarium New Member

Hi,

I have a nice road bike that I really like. I am not a skilled cyclist but enjoy riding. My road bike has downtube shifters. I really am not comfortable with them. I am exploring the possibility of changing to STI. I went to my LBS to tak about it. My LBS gave me the impression that changing to STI could potentially require a drastic overhaul of many of the components on my bike. My bike has a Campagnolo group with a 7 speed cassette. It seems that 8-9 speed is minimum for STI. My LBS seems to think that besides replacing the cassette...the rear wheel, possibly rear-derailleur and maybe even the crank would have to be replaced. This would all be really expensive and he doesn't know if it is worth it (nor do I). My question is: would al of that really have to be replaced. Anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks!

Tags:

2. stevek

stevek New Member

you could change the spacers on the cogset to shimano and use these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3662378945&category=36140
    may need a new derailer too but not sure. if you can put a 8 speed cogset on your wheel you could use campy and may need a new detailer. but I doubt you need ot change the cranks.
    friction shift bar ends would be the cost effective way to do it then you would just need the shifters new cables and bar tape and these. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3661973301&category=36140

3. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

if your current setup is index, then you could possibly get by with nothing more than campy 8 speed ergo shifters,which you will have to buy used. Otherwise, it just makes more sense to go 9 speed which involves probably spreading the rear triangle if steel, new rear wheel and shifters and RD, cassette and chain.

4. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Campy 7 speed spacing is the same as shimano 7 speed and shimano shifters don't work with campy derailers unless you soetimes get real lucky with a mismatch that just happens to work.

5. Border Cyclist

Border Cyclist New Member

I'm afraid that your LBS is probably right on this one. I've got a similar issue myself (but at least the bike in question is 8-speed), and I appreciate the sentiment involved. Downtube shifters maybe aren't that bad, so enjoy this particular bike for what it is. (And then save up so that you can two-time her!)

6. Picasosz

Picasosz New Member

I know you love your bike but you might be better of selling it on e-bay and starting over with a brand new bike from your LBS

7. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

All you ned is 8 speed ergo shifters. They can be found on ebay along with alot of other 8 speed stuff to keep it running. LBS like to sell you alot of stuff you don't really need.

8. tepidarium

tepidarium New Member

Thanks to you all for your responses. I really appreciate it.:)

Since I have a 7 speed -what sort of other changes would ahve to be made...would any 8 spd ergo do --like veloce?

Thanks again...!

9. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

Have you considered those shifters that they use in the time trials ? they fit in the end of the bars and can be alot cheaper .
    There´s also a device that allows the fitting of a down tube lever just inside of the brake lever ( see the web site of the ctc shop ) I´ll find out details and send info , OK ?

10. tepidarium

tepidarium New Member

Do you mean "Kelly Take Off"? I just found out about them today. They seem like a possibility...anyone have an opinion about them? Thanks.

11. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Yeah, mine both ended up in the junk box and then given away.Barends are a better option IMO.

12. tepidarium

tepidarium New Member

Ouch...are they really that bad? I am intrigued by them...

13. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Some people love em. I'm just on the other side of the fence. Awkward ,and pointless compared to braends,IMO.

14. tepidarium

tepidarium New Member

Shifting with them is akward? :confused: The reason why, at least conceptually I'm favoring them over bar-end shifters is because if I don't like taking my hand off the bar to go to the downtube...how different will it be to take my hand off the bar to go to the bar end...?

If it was easy and not horribly expensive to modify my 7 speed to ergo, I'd rather do that of course...

15. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Are your 7 speed shifters index or friction?

16. tepidarium

tepidarium New Member

They are index...

17. stevek

stevek New Member

here is what I did using barends.
    http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_temp_pics/bike4.jpg
    http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_temp_pics/bike5.jpg
    the shifting is really nice and accurate. braking is powerful and I cna shift and still have my hands on the brakes at all times.

18. tepidarium

tepidarium New Member

19. stevek

stevek New Member

20. tepidarium

tepidarium New Member

That's really cool. Man, I just bought a Nitto Noodle bar now I wonder if I shoudl do that as well...but it may open up a can of worms as I'll have to reasses the reach of my stem etc...
    very interesting setup thanks for posting!