Downtube Shifters to STI question...

I went through the same process last fall. I bought a nice used bike on ebay equipped with Shimano 600 7 speed and downtube shifters. I wanted the STI. I first went the cheapest way but ended up going to full 9 speed triple Ultegra.
The cheapest way is to buy a 9 speed cassette, remove one of the cog (not the largest or the smallest) and install it on your hub. You end up with a 8 speed cassette which has the same width as your old 7 speed unit. You will need a new chain that works with the new cassette, your crankset should be fine. Install the STI and adjust your rear derailleur so it doesn't go other the largest cog or below the small one. Adjust the travel distance between cogs.
The more expensive way is to get a wider axle, change the freewheel system, recenter the wheel, widen the stays a little bit, and install a 9 speed cassette, new chain, and STI shifters. You may also need a new rear derailleur.
It was a fun experience for me, it taugth me a lot about the various components, and wasn't too difficult. And it saved me a lot of money.
Good luck.

Originally posted by gpelpel

The cheapest way is to buy a 9 speed cassette, remove one of the cog (not the largest or the smallest) and install it on your hub. You end up with a 8 speed cassette which has the same width as your old 7 speed unit. You will need a new chain that works with the new cassette, your crankset should be fine.
Well,that works with a shimano hyperglide hub, but not campy because of different spline patterns between the 7 and 9 speed campy hub bodies..

Originally posted by boudreaux
Then get a set of used 8 speed ergo levers off ebay.

That sounds great..but are there any modifications that have to be made because I have a 7 speed cassette?

Thanks...
:)

Originally posted by tepidarium
Thanks to you all for your responses. I really appreciate it.:)

Since I have a 7 speed -what sort of other changes would ahve to be made...would any 8 spd ergo do --like veloce?

Thanks again...!

Ok found it : it´s called the " KELLY TAKE-OFF " , for more details see the shop of the CTC - www.ctcshop.co.uk this allows the mounting of downtube shifters on the handlebar just inside the brake levers ; could be cheaper and easier than moving over to STI which is usually an expensive route to take .

I wish I had seen these befroe I went to seperate brakes and bar ends. I liek that setup now but it was a real pain playing with stem lenth and the setup till I got it right.

After reading your original post, and all the responses, I think I can summarize the issue by asking you a simple question:

Do you want to spend your time shopping for parts, taking appart and rebuilding your bike, or do you want to spend your time riding your bike? I think if you can honestly answer that question, then you will be on your way.

Don't get me wrong, either way is a fine way to spend your time, but you should be tweaking your bike because you love to, not because you want STI shifters (which are awesome, by the way)

Enjoy...

Originally posted by Randybaker99

Do you want to spend your time shopping for parts, taking appart and rebuilding your bike, or do you want to spend your time riding your bike? I think if you can honestly answer that question, then you will be on your way.

All he needs is a pair of campy 8 speed ergo shifters. Hardly requires rebuilding the bike.

Originally posted by Randybaker99
After reading your original post, and all the responses, I think I can summarize the issue by asking you a simple question:

Don't get me wrong, either way is a fine way to spend your time, but you should be tweaking your bike because you love to, not because you want STI shifters (which are awesome, by the way)

Enjoy...

Well, I'm in NYC so the weather isn't great for cycling right now - I was on the road last week and I feel I need to make the change.

Besides, while this bike is being worked on I have a hybrid I can ride...:)

All he needs is a pair of campy 8 speed ergo shifters. Hardly requires rebuilding the bike.

MY LBS is calling Campy to make sure this can be done. ...you're saying, all I have to do is install 8 speed ergos with no other change to the bike?

MY LBS is calling Campy to make sure this can be done. ...you're saying, all I have to do is install 8 speed ergos with no other change to the bike?
Don't be surprised if you get a no from Campy. All one has to do is go to their site and look as all the BS about what can't be done with all their current stuff. Would be surprised if anyone that would answer the phone at Campy would even remember they ever had 7 speed index. 7 and 8 speed campy cog spacing was the same and you have an index capable RD.It does not take a genius.....

Don't be surprised if you get a no from Campy. All one has to do is go to their site and look as all the BS about what can't be done with all their current stuff. Would be surprised if anyone that would answer the phone at Campy would even remember they ever had 7 speed index. 7 and 8 speed campy cog spacing was the same and you have an index capable RD.It does not take a genius.....

Well, I won an auction for a pair of 8 spd campy ergos. When they come I'm taking them down to my LBS...I'll tell you how it turns out...!

Hi all,

Well it seems that the conversion to ergo on my 7 spd campy bike is not as simple as just changing the shifters. My LBS did the job but the shifting does not work. My LBS believes that a new freewheel - namely an SRAM 8 speed freewheel will do the trick.

Anyone know where to pick up one of these?

:eek:

Hi all,

Well it seems that the conversion to ergo on my 7 spd campy bike is not as simple as just changing the shifters. My LBS did the job but the shifting does not work. My LBS believes that a new freewheel - namely an SRAM 8 speed freewheel will do the trick.

They are listed in the QBP catalogue, so check www.branfordbike.com In the beginning, you said a cassette, now it's a freelwheel. Every bit of info I could dig up indicated that 7 and 8 speed campy index cog spacing was the same. Even if slightly different as in the case of shimano 7 vs 8 speed, it's close enough that interchanging the shifters usually works. There may be a problem somewhere else. There is also a note a branford,with respect to campy 8 speed cassettes,that they can be used on narrower 7 speed hubs by leaving out one cog,angin indicating cog spacing is the same.

Hi all,

Check this link, and scroll down to the topic 'followup on ergo power with 7 speed'. I was right about the spacing being the same for campy 7 and 8 speed and if your system was index to begin with it should work. http://www.insidetriathalon.com/train/bike/article/1443.0.html Rats, the damm link won't work.Do a google search of campagnolo seven speed and then look for the article 'Technical Q & A with Leonard Zinn' and the article, follow up on ergo power with 7 speed.

Check this link, and scroll down to the topic 'followup on ergo power with 7 speed'. I was right about the spacing being the same for campy 7 and 8 speed and if your system was index to begin with it should work. http://www.insidetriathalon.com/train/bike/article/1443.0.html Rats, the damm link won't work.Do a google search of campagnolo seven speed and then look for the article 'Technical Q & A with Leonard Zinn' and the article, follow up on ergo power with 7 speed.

Hi,

Yep, know about this link. I came across it while doing my research. It's a shame that it hasn't worked for me.

I went to branfordbike.com but they don't seem to offer the sram 8spd freewheel, do you know of anywhere else I can obtain one..or possibly view the quality bike parts catalog (is that what it is).

Hopefully, I'll be able tog et one and straighten this mess out :(

Hi,

Yep, know about this link. I came across it while doing my research. It's a shame that it hasn't worked for me.

I went to branfordbike.com but they don't seem to offer the sram 8spd freewheel, do you know of anywhere else I can obtain one..or possibly view the quality bike parts catalog (is that what it is).

Hopefully, I'll be able tog et one and straighten this mess out :(
The 8 speed freewheel having the came cog spacing as the 7 speed won't make the difference. It will also require 130 dropout spacing, where yours is probably 126, along with some other issues.

The 8 speed freewheel having the came cog spacing as the 7 speed won't make the difference. It will also require 130 dropout spacing, where yours is probably 126, along with some other issues.

Yep, I just saw this info on harriscyclery.com (the 130mm spacing). I'm going to my LBS and see what he thinks.....don't see what else it could be, but I'm out of my element here.

A question - I only added 8 speed shifters. I did not replace my rear derailleur... or chain...should these have been replaced with 8 speed derailluer & chain?