Dr diagnosed my numb foot problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alpha Beta

His diagnoses is that because I have flat feet, that it is likely that with pressure on my foot the
3rd and 4th metatarsals we squeezing together and causing inflamation which may be squeezing the
nerve. He said I should get my orthodict adjusted so ther is support under the 3rd and 4th tarsal so
the bones open up. If this solves the problem, I will go ahead and buy my trike. I was holding off
incase I was one of the minority who could not ride a recumbent.

Anyways I suspect that I would have had this problem with a DF, but because I could not sit in one
long enough, I could not tell that I had the problem.

It also explains why I did not have to problem at first. Probabably as I rode more or stressed the
foot, then the inflamation started.

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002 08:50:07 -0500, "The Shinefelds" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>go to a foot doctor and get a foot doctor answer.[/q1]

Seems fair, for a foot-related problem :)

TBH I'm convinced that most bike shoes are not well designed for touring use or indeed normal human
feet. The most comfy touring shoes I ever had were the old-fashioned leather items, in the Dark Ages
Before Clipless. Much cycling gear these days seems to be designed for Italian midgets - I have to
buy XXL in everything, and it's still too short. I am 6'1" and weigh under 180, with a 32" waist,
which has to be as close to normal size as you can get. God knows what really big folks have to buy.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

"Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote:
[q1]> Did you have numbe toes also?[/q1]

I don't have much trouble with numb toes (on a V-Rex), but I *do* have flat feet. When I first got
my Shimano shoes, my knees were in pain within 2-3 minutes of walking on them. No way could I have
biked in them.

I got some Superfeet at REI and all has been happy since then. Gary

in article [email protected], Just zis Guy, you know? at
[email protected] wrote on 12/22/02 3:00 PM:

[q1]> Much cycling gear these days seems to be designed for Italian midgets - I have to buy XXL in[/q1]
[q1]> everything, and it's still too short. I am 6'1" and weigh under 180, with a 32" waist, which has[/q1]
[q1]> to be as close to normal size as you can get. God knows what really big folks have to buy.[/q1]

It seems that when they make things a larger size they only make it longer - not wider. I'm 6'4" and
280 with a wide build (I wear 4E shoes). I have found very little biking specific clothing that
fits. A XXXL jersey might be long enough, but I can't get it over my shoulders.

I've had pretty good luck buying from Erehwon, a local outfitter that specializes in camping,
hiking, and skiing. I can find clothing there that fits and works fine. It's all the same fancy
technical fabrics, just cut to fit better (the sizes match my regular street/office clothing).

If you ignore the bike specific clothing and go for other active wear it works out pretty well. The
only issue is that I just can't find clipless compatible shoes that fit (of course, I also have
float issues). Actually, I have found some - there is a company that will make fully custom biking
shoes but they cost about $500. In the meantime I'm wearing the lightest weight New Balance hiking
shoes/boots I could find. Not clipless, but at least a stiffer sole than regular shoes.

-Carl

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002 22:45:58 GMT, Carl <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>If you ignore the bike specific clothing and go for other active wear it works out pretty well.[/q1]

At least now I'm bent this is an option, and one which I'll be pursuing come Spring (my cold weather
wardrobe is pretty well stocked, but my warm weather gear is worn out).

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.