Dr Eufemiano Fuentes case watch

Discussion in 'Doping in Cycling' started by limerickman, Jan 29, 2013.

1. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Fuentes case kicked off in Madrid, Spain yesterday.

Operacion Puerto uncovered Fuentes involvement with lots of cyclists, tennis players and soccer players.
    It would appear that this trial is only going to concern itself with his involvement with cycling and cyclists/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Some links

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/news/puerto-public-health-trial-opens-monday-in-madrid_272901?utm_medium=whats-hot

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/tom-english-fuentes-doping-case-silent-on-football-1-2761603

http://www.marca.com/2013/01/28/en/more_sports/1359399943.html

Tags:

2. ambal

ambal Active Member

We need a list of all the athletes involved in this case, does anyone have one?

3. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Good thread material, Lim.

Fuentes is basically saying "prove it". He's not going to admit to ANY wrongdoing. Paraphrasing here, "I was giving transfusions to improve the athlete's health - not performance". LOL!
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fuentes-we-gave-transfusions-for-health-reasons

Yeah, it is a disgrace the footballers and tennis players get the free pass. Money talks - everyday, all day, all over the world, but even more sinisterly it keeps mouths shut that need to be opened.

edit: EXCELLENT article by English.

limerickman likes this.
  4. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Why don't you read the links that I listed in the OP?
    Well?

In a word, it rumoured that lots of La Liga (Spanish Football League) players and teams are clients of Fuentes.
    Spain's greatest tennis player is also rumoured to be a client.
    However the Spanish prosecutors have decided not to pursue either of these issues.
    All this is detailed in throughout the links in the OP

So obtaining a definitive list is difficult

5. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

It would appear that Fuentes has started pointing fingers.
    He claims that the head of the Spanish Cycling Federation is a former client of his
    http://www.marca.com/2013/01/30/en/more_sports/1359571418.html

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/commentary/dancing-around-the-truth-fuentes-gives-little-away-in-opening-days-of-puerto-trial_273093?utm_medium=whats-hot

[FONT= 'Lucida Grande']Only 56 of the 200 names on Fuentes’ list were cyclists. The others remain safely protected behind a wall of silence.[/FONT]
    “In 2006, I worked with athletes of all kinds: soccer players, cyclists, track and field. I worked with individual sportsmen, not teams,” Fuentes said. “It could be a cyclist from a cycling team, a football player from a soccer team, a track and field athlete or a boxer …”

6. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

looks like puerto caught out another rabo rider. this is not looking good for blanco, sanchez, or uci.

7. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

What you mean to say is that things are increasingly looking worse for the UCI.

8. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

I really wouldn't be surprised if Blanco fold in the next few days.

9. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

interesting developments with the prosecution witnesses taking the stand and punching holes in fuentes' position that these were transfusions for health purposes. either his concept of healthy is warped enough to include the transportation of blood along with chilled drinks or he knew what he was doing was shady and necessitated the camouflage.

10. alienator

You hater. Why do you refuse to see Fuentes as a victim?

11. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

i suppose it's because i have so much hatred in me. or that i am fueled by jealousy. or whatever the latest motivation others will presume to tack on to my posts so that they can continue to dodge arguments by deflecting it to personalities.

but, as for fuentes' trial, i have to wonder still about the paucity of other sportsmen being named. a bit too convenient that the preponderance of athletes would be cyclists due to the giro being contested at the time of the raid. given that bagging is a preparation for an upcoming event (truly the tdf, in my opinion), certainly other athletes would be prepping for upcoming events like league football championships, tennis tournaments, and so on where even a small boost to one's endurance might pay great dividends.

12. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

A grandslam winning Spanish tennis player is rumoured to be a client.

13. tonyzackery

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/prudhomme-wants-more-revelations-from-puerto-trial

Nice grandstand, but it'll NEVER happen Chris, baby. Cycling is the whipping boy for drug abuse. Too much money and too well-connected politically are the other major sports stars and federations. Would be nice though...
    Another grandstand - this time by Rafa: http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/rafael-nadal-wants-athletes-implicated-in-operation-puerto-named/story-fndkzym4-1226573101166. Death threats to Fuentes and dollars to the judge will keep Omerta firmly in place during this exercise in Spain.

14. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

tony, prudhomme has a point. even at this late date, the investigation's release of only the cyclists' names (few that they are) gives a very good bit of ammunition to those who suspect some sort of attack on cycling. what surprises me is the leaders of the other sporting federations doing as little as possible to discover who, if any, in their sports is implicated. i actually think this generates some sympathy for mc quaid.

15. tonyzackery

Definitely he has a point - there's no denying the disparate treatment pro cyclists are receiving where PED use, investigation, media coverage, and enforcement are concerned. My issue is that Prudhomme's lamenting will continue to fall on deaf ears amongst political and financial stakeholders that don't want the scandal a pervasive doping culture generates - especially where there's HUGE amounts of money are concerned. Cycling is, and will continue to be, the scapegoat on a worldwide scale. Initially it was track and field, now pro cycling. Who's next? I definitely don't think it will be soccer/futbol. Tennis might get some exposure - but none of the highest ranking players. I predict some rather obscure sport - synchronized swimming or water polo are good choices. LOL!

16. alienator

If McQuaid is getting some sympathy, it can't be much. I'd sure like to know where that sympathy is coming from. I'd also like to know why the Puerto judge isn't allowing the release of the names of non-cyclists involved.

17. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Football is huge in Spain and Europe (Spain are world champions and European champions. Spanish Clubs are winning the European Champions League)
    I suspect that if doping was exposed it would be a serious threat to what is a massive industry.

18. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Fair points.

19. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

my thinking runs in this fashion. given that footy has a match fixing scandal, arsene wenger interviewed in the guardian made very explicit references to the involvement of euro crime organisations, ped's and the match fixing--another black eye for sepp blatter and fifa. so i figure blatter will want to keep his job and try to diminish the issue as a "sign of the times" and give the by now routine ped's are a scourge and we must be ever vigilant tripe. given that australia's sporting commission released information on ped's in their afl and other sports was a bit more rife than most would like to admit, i feel that we will see the assembled heads of the australian federations give the "sign of the times" defence while this happened on their watch. since i figure this is not unique to any sport or nation, i'm figuring that the people who vote for inclusion to the various boards and those that vote for presidencies and have their own skeletons to keep closeted will re-elect mc quaid, because they might need a vote when their turn comes before the press, a linking of the arms. that being said, i don't believe mc quaid gets much sympathy from the press or the fans, but from those that can keep him employed.

20. tonyzackery