Dr Richard Fleming - the anti-atkins/pro-vegan/PETA/PCRM snitch

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Tcomeau, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    Dr Richard Fleming:

    Another diet book by this guy, a high carb diet book at that too, big surprise, eh?:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/188775055X/103-4388239-1816621?v=glance

    He is on Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine Doctors' Panel that is doing its best to
    oppose the atkins diet thru lies and media manipulation:

    http://www.pcrm.org/news/health031120.html

    On soy:

    http://www.thesoydailyclub.com/thesoydailybackissues/tsd11052001sypnews.asp
    ---------
    "The goal of our study was to make a significant contribution to the debate over soy protein and its
    potential effects on breast tissue and breast health," said Preventive & Nuclear Cardiologist and
    Internist Richard Fleming, M.D., F.A.C.A., F.I.C.A., F.A.S.N.C., F.A.C.P., the study's lead
    investigator and Director of Women's Research and Family Issues, Breast Cancer and Heart Disease at
    the Camelot Foundation, Inc. "Now, with this study, we can demonstrate a reduction in breast
    inflammation that can be attributed to the daily consumption of soy protein."
    ---------------

    I thought that the goal of any study was to find the facts? Apparently it actually is to make a
    contribution to a debate that will sell your product.

    Another PCRM organized attack on atkins diet involving Fleming:

    http://www.nbc4.com/healtharchives/2653565/detail.html

    Here is a good article:
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,8662827%5E28737,00.html quote:
    ---------
    The PCRM is a fiercely anti-meat, pro-vegetarian brains trust that has opposed the Atkins diet for
    years, apparently with the best of intentions. It obtained its information on Atkins's body from
    Richard Fleming, a Nebraska-based cardiologist, outspoken critic of the Atkins diet and author of
    two high-profile books on how to minimise your risk of heart disease without a high-protein diet.

    Fleming is doubtless an unimpeachable professional with the health of all our hearts his primary
    concern. But like all authors he must promote his books. He is also the founder and director of the
    Fleming Heart and Health Institute in Omaha, to which, according to publicity material accompanying
    his books "thousands of people from around the world come ... for treatment of heart disease, cancer
    and nutrition-related disorders".
    ---------

    Love the sarcasm, eh? "...unimpeachable professional with the health of all our hearts his primary
    concern.", yeah, right....

    Here's more info in case you want to call, visit, or write to this weasel:

    Richard M Fleming, (402) 343-0800, 9290 W Dodge Rd, Omaha, NE 68114

    http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=lalMRup_0TqdxexCzrc1KdvwS.ZnDOPd&csz=OMAHA+NE+68114&country=us

    TC

    Tags:

  2. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    [email protected] (tcomeau) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > He is on Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine Doctors' Panel that is doing its best to
    > oppose the atkins diet thru lies and media manipulation:
    >
    > http://www.pcrm.org/news/health031120.html
    >

    > Another PCRM organized attack on atkins diet involving Fleming:
    >
    > http://www.nbc4.com/healtharchives/2653565/detail.html
    >
    > Here is a good article:
    > http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,8662827%5E28737,00.html quote:
    > ---------
    > The PCRM is a fiercely anti-meat, pro-vegetarian brains trust that has opposed the Atkins diet for
    > years, apparently with the best of intentions. It obtained its information on Atkins's body from
    > Richard Fleming, a Nebraska-based cardiologist, outspoken critic of the Atkins diet and author of
    > two high-profile books on how to minimise your risk of heart disease without a high-protein diet.
    >
    > Fleming is doubtless an unimpeachable professional with the health of all our hearts his primary
    > concern. But like all authors he must promote his books. He is also the founder and director of
    > the Fleming Heart and Health Institute in Omaha, to which, according to publicity material
    > accompanying his books "thousands of people from around the world come ... for treatment of heart
    > disease, cancer and nutrition-related disorders".
    > ---------

    Just wanted to make sure you all got this info, in case anyone wanted to ask the doctor some
    questions about his un-professional behavior.

    Richard M Fleming, (402) 343-0800, 9290 W Dodge Rd, Omaha, NE 68114

    http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?d=lalMRup_0TqdxexCzrc1KdvwS.ZnDOPd&csz=OMAHA+NE+68114&country=us

    TC