Dr Robert Davis on the radio

Colin McKenzie

Guest
Apparently Bob Davis, author of 'Death on the Streets', which is
occasionally cited here, is going to be on 'PM' on radio 4 tonight
(Fri). Catch him if you can.

Colin McKenzie

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:27:13 +0000, Colin McKenzie
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>Apparently Bob Davis, author of 'Death on the Streets', which is
>occasionally cited here, is going to be on 'PM' on radio 4 tonight
>(Fri). Catch him if you can.

Miserable sod didn't tell me that...

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>typed

> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:27:13 +0000, Colin McKenzie
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:

> >Apparently Bob Davis, author of 'Death on the Streets', which is
> >occasionally cited here, is going to be on 'PM' on radio 4 tonight
> >(Fri). Catch him if you can.

> Miserable sod didn't tell me that...

Bob came accross well. Prat from AA didn't and was rightly taken apart
by interviewer.

All in all, a nice piece vilifying British Motorists' attitude to cyclists.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

<[email protected]>:

>Catch him if you can.

Skimmed through on listen again, but didn't hear his dulcets.

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
[snip]

> Bob came accross well. Prat from AA didn't and was rightly taken apart
> by interviewer.

I did rather like his line that it was hard for drivers to overtake
cyclists when they are "going at or near the speed limit". Kind of
summed it all up for me!

[snip]

Peter

--

www.amey.org.uk

> Skimmed through on listen again, but didn't hear his dulcets.
>
> Guy

It's at 37:10 on the listen again playback.
Paul

You can here it via the link below. (The main article comes after
about 35 minutes).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_aod.shtml?pm

I was supposed to be included in this program talking about my
experiences of the attitudes shown towards cyclists by some local
authority traffic engineers. The BBC even came up to tape an interview
but then I mentioned that they should also talk to Bob Davis, Alyson
France et al so my interview wasn't used!

Regards,

Howard.

>I did rather like his line that it was hard for drivers to overtake
>cyclists when they are "going at or near the speed limit". Kind of
>summed it all up for me!
>
>[snip]
>
>Peter

Yes the AA twit did come across as a complete and utter ******. When in
motorist mode I don't have the problems he described when I come across
cyclists! What a twit he is.

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

On 3/12/04 7:45 pm, in article [email protected],
"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I did rather like his line that it was hard for drivers to overtake
>> cyclists when they are "going at or near the speed limit". Kind of
>> summed it all up for me!
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Peter

> Yes the AA twit did come across as a complete and utter ******. When in
> motorist mode I don't have the problems he described when I come across
> cyclists! What a twit he is.

You can't go past cyclists becasue they go too fast, and then they slow down
and it becomes even harder.

Plonker. Unfortunately far too many people will be nodding in agreement and
going 'b***dy cyclists, get them off the road'.

...d

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 21:47:44 +0000, David Martin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 3/12/04 7:45 pm, in article [email protected],
>"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> I did rather like his line that it was hard for drivers to overtake
>>> cyclists when they are "going at or near the speed limit". Kind of
>>> summed it all up for me!
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Peter

>> Yes the AA twit did come across as a complete and utter ******. When in
>> motorist mode I don't have the problems he described when I come across
>> cyclists! What a twit he is.

>You can't go past cyclists becasue they go too fast, and then they slow down
>and it becomes even harder.
>
>Plonker. Unfortunately far too many people will be nodding in agreement and
>going 'b***dy cyclists, get them off the road'.
>
>..d

The only difficulty I encounter in overtaking cyclists is an
overwhelming desire to ogle jealously at their machine...

Actually, I also have great difficulty ovetaking lycra-clad female
cyclists, because of an overwhelming desire to ogle jealously at their

--
Amazon: "If you are interested in 'Asimov's I-Robot',
you may also be interested in 'Garfield - The Movie'.

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 18:15:56 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
<[email protected]>:

>Bob came accross well. Prat from AA didn't and was rightly taken apart
>by interviewer.
>All in all, a nice piece vilifying British Motorists' attitude to cyclists.

How far in?

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 19:19:09 -0000, "Paul" <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>It's at 37:10 on the listen again playback.

Ta. Excellent piece! Lots of Olympic references and pointing out
what arses motorists can be.

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

Richard Bates [email protected] opined the following...
> Amazon: "If you are interested in 'Asimov's I-Robot',
> you may also be interested in 'Garfield - The Movie'.
> ... erm, how do they figure that one out?

The wonders of buying many presents, for many people, from one slightly
too clever online store!

Jon

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 19:19:09 -0000, "Paul" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message <[email protected]>:
>
> >It's at 37:10 on the listen again playback.

> Ta. Excellent piece! Lots of Olympic references and pointing out
> what arses motorists can be.

Sounded like North American-style road-sharing (sic). As fewer kids
grow up outside of a cycling culture, fewer the motorists there will
be with empathy towards cyclists.

Cyclists in future will need to be more assertive in protecting their
right to the road. Better traffic skills will be required.

.... and beware of the advocates who would aid in getting cyclists on
to bike paths or in limiting them to narrow lanes next to the gutter.
I ride every day in a city centre. It's a case of survival of the
fittest but it works.

JFJ
Ontario

<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 3/12/04 7:45 pm, in article [email protected],
>"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> I did rather like his line that it was hard for drivers to overtake
>>> cyclists when they are "going at or near the speed limit". Kind of
>>> summed it all up for me!
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Peter

>> Yes the AA twit did come across as a complete and utter ******. When in
>> motorist mode I don't have the problems he described when I come across
>> cyclists! What a twit he is.

>You can't go past cyclists becasue they go too fast, and then they slow down
>and it becomes even harder.
>
>Plonker. Unfortunately far too many people will be nodding in agreement and
>going 'b***dy cyclists, get them off the road'.

While the AA's comments are illogical, they fairly describe how a lot
of people feel when meeting a cyclist while driving.

Jon Senior wrote:

> Richard Bates [email protected] opined the following...
>>Amazon: "If you are interested in 'Asimov's I-Robot',
>>you may also be interested in 'Garfield - The Movie'.
>> ... erm, how do they figure that one out?

> The wonders of buying many presents, for many people, from one slightly
> too clever online store!

I was browsing bibles, and when I chose one it told me the 'perfect
partner' was the Koran.

I think their computer needs to learn a bit of history and RE.

Colin McKenzie
--
The great advantage of not trusting statistics is that
it leaves you free to believe the damned lies instead!

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 09:42:01 +0000, Colin McKenzie
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Jon Senior wrote:
>
>> Richard Bates [email protected] opined the following...
>>>Amazon: "If you are interested in 'Asimov's I-Robot',
>>>you may also be interested in 'Garfield - The Movie'.
>>> ... erm, how do they figure that one out?

>> The wonders of buying many presents, for many people, from one slightly
>> too clever online store!

>I was browsing bibles, and when I chose one it told me the 'perfect
>partner' was the Koran.
>
>I think their computer needs to learn a bit of history and RE.
>
>Colin McKenzie

You don't want to know what it suggested I should buy along with a
digital camera. Well, you might. Suffice to say it was a book or DVD
(I didn't tarry) that appeared a bit racy for me. Certainly a bit racy
if delivered to the neighbours by mistake.

" [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> writes:

>On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 21:47:44 +0000, David Martin
><[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Yes the AA twit did come across as a complete and utter ******. When in
>>> motorist mode I don't have the problems he described when I come across
>>> cyclists! What a twit he is.

>>You can't go past cyclists becasue they go too fast, and then they slow down
>>and it becomes even harder.
>>
>>Plonker. Unfortunately far too many people will be nodding in agreement and
>>going 'b***dy cyclists, get them off the road'.

>While the AA's comments are illogical, they fairly describe how a lot
>of people feel when meeting a cyclist while driving.

Don't forget the hazard posed by the very few psychopaths. There *are*
some folk, a very small minority, who *will* try to injure or kill you
*if* they can get away with not seeming to be to blame, and not
damaging their paintwork. Although some of them specifically target
cyclists, many will equally gleefully put motorcyclists or other car
drivers ar risk. Of course you very rarely meet such folk, but they
are very dangerous when you do.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

In article <[email protected]>,
Colin McKenzie <[email protected]> writes:

> I was browsing bibles, and when I chose one it told me the 'perfect
> partner' was the Koran.

I would imagine that speaks abouts amazon customers. The (overwhelming
majority of) adherents to both religions wouldn't think as far as amazon,
and those buying there are the chattering classes and individuals
concerned with history, literature and mythology.

--
Nick Kew