Drafted by three people

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Nov 1, 2003.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Cycling the 12 miles to work today 0545 - 0645 into cold drizzle, I had the odd experience of being
    drafted by several blokes (at different points of the journey) probably wanting me to take the wind
    and rain off their face.

    I didn't know one bloke was behind me and I heard something I didn't like on the radio which made me
    shout out "pack it in!" to the radio presenter (he might have said "one pence" or something), only
    to turn round later and find him right on my back wheel - I didn't mean you pal, it was flattering
    for a roadie to want to stay in my wake if anything.

  2. "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Cycling the 12 miles to work today 0545 - 0645 into cold drizzle, I had
    the
    > odd experience of being drafted by several blokes (at different points of the journey) probably
    > wanting me to take the wind and rain off their face.
    >
    > I didn't know one bloke was behind me and I heard something I didn't like
    on
    > the radio which made me shout out "pack it in!" to the radio presenter (he might have said "one
    > pence" or something), only to turn round later and
    find
    > him right on my back wheel - I didn't mean you pal, it was flattering for
    > roadie to want to stay in my wake if anything.

    Not being a roadie, I sometimes quite like riding behind people. It's a good excuse to either slow
    down and take it easy, or, if they're fast, a bit of a challange. Unfortunately if they're a roadie
    I'm afraid I have to burn past them as quickly as possible. The ass-high riding position and tight
    lycra make it fairly unpleasant tailgating them.

  3. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    > Cycling the 12 miles to work today 0545 - 0645 into cold drizzle, I had
    the
    > odd experience of being drafted by several blokes (at different points of the journey) probably
    > wanting me to take the wind and rain off their face.
    Do you use m*dg**rds? ;-) All the best Dan Gregory

  4. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Mark Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Not being a roadie, I sometimes quite like riding behind people. It's a good excuse to either slow
    > down and take it easy, or, if they're fast, a
    bit
    > of a challange. Unfortunately if they're a roadie I'm afraid I have to
    burn
    > past them as quickly as possible. The ass-high riding position and tight lycra make it fairly
    > unpleasant tailgating them.

    Blimey, what class of cyclist are you that you can burn off a roadie and leave 'em in your
    wake? Simon

  5. In news:[email protected], Simon Mason <[email protected]> typed:
    > "Mark Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >

    >> Not being a roadie, I sometimes quite like riding behind people. It's a good excuse to either
    >> slow down and take it easy, or, if they're fast, a bit of a challange. Unfortunately if they're a
    >> roadie I'm afraid I have to burn past them as quickly as possible. The ass-high riding position
    >> and tight lycra make it fairly unpleasant tailgating them.
    >
    > Blimey, what class of cyclist are you that you can burn off a roadie and leave 'em in your wake?

    One with a jet on his pannier rack, obviously. Oh, you didn't mean it literally. What? And I'm
    posting in the wrong thread? Sorry.

  6. > > Not being a roadie, I sometimes quite like riding behind people. It's a good excuse to either
    > > slow down and take it easy, or, if they're fast, a
    > bit
    > > of a challange. Unfortunately if they're a roadie I'm afraid I have to
    > burn
    > > past them as quickly as possible. The ass-high riding position and
    tight
    > > lycra make it fairly unpleasant tailgating them.
    >
    > Blimey, what class of cyclist are you that you can burn off a roadie and leave 'em in your wake?

    I think the question is more, what kind of roadie are they? To be fair I only ride a couple of miles
    on my commute, and I guess they've been going a lot longer than that and are just plain knackered.
    Or don't want to smell when they turn up for work :)

  7. Vernon Levy

    Vernon Levy Guest

    > Cycling the 12 miles to work today 0545 - 0645 into cold drizzle, I had
    the
    > odd experience of being drafted by several blokes (at different points of the journey) probably
    > wanting me to take the wind and rain off their face.

    Hah, that's nothing. three blokes can draft me simultaneously because I'm broad of beam :)

  8. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Mark Thompson wrote:
    > Unfortunately if they're a roadie I'm afraid I have to burn past them as quickly as possible. The
    > ass-high riding position and tight lycra make it fairly unpleasant tailgating them.

    White lycra shorts are far , far worse.

    Can i ask the PSF to extend her activities to people who wear white shorts in the rain with no
    mudguards?

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK