Drafting vs. Not Drafting Calories Burnt?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Monty, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. Monty

    Monty Guest

    A coworker was asking how much energy is saved by drafting. All I could say
    was A LOT. Do you guys know of a web page that would have information on
    calories used when doing " a pull" vs. drafing?

    I know, there are lots of variables, but any documentation would help.

    Thanks

    Monty

    Tags:

  2. Musashi

    Musashi Guest

    Drafting reduces the workload by 30%, on average. I'd say that roughly
    means 30% less calories. Lots of variables and it depends on speed and
    grade but that seems reasonable.

    Musashi

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:33:37 GMT, "Monty" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >A coworker was asking how much energy is saved by drafting. All I could say
    >was A LOT. Do you guys know of a web page that would have information on
    >calories used when doing " a pull" vs. drafing?
    >
    >I know, there are lots of variables, but any documentation would help.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Monty

  3. <Musashi> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Drafting reduces the workload by 30%, on average. I'd say that roughly
    > means 30% less calories. Lots of variables and it depends on speed and
    > grade but that seems reasonable.
    >
    > Musashi
    >
    > On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:33:37 GMT, "Monty" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>A coworker was asking how much energy is saved by drafting. All I could
    >>say
    >>was A LOT. Do you guys know of a web page that would have information on
    >>calories used when doing " a pull" vs. drafing?

    I thought is was about 15% if you're second in line, 30% if you're fourth in
    line, and 45% if you're in the middle of the peleton. Does anyone know if
    this is in the neighborhood?

  4. Michael Fuhr

    Michael Fuhr Guest

    "Bestest Handsander" <[email protected]> writes:

    > I thought is was about 15% if you're second in line, 30% if you're fourth in
    > line, and 45% if you're in the middle of the peleton. Does anyone know if
    > this is in the neighborhood?

    Here's the abstract for an article entitled "Energy expenditure
    during bicycling":

    http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/68/2/748

    In _Serious Cycling_, 2nd ed., on pp 248-50, Burke cites a similar
    study by two of the same authors. According to that study, drafting
    at 20mph (32km/h) reduced oxygen consumption by 18% versus riding
    alone; drafting at 25mph (40km/h) saved 26%. Riders from second
    to fifth in line all realized about the same savings. Drafting in
    the middle of a group, however, resulted in a savings of 39%, and
    drafting a truck saved 62%. Margins of error were 6-8%.

    --
    Michael Fuhr
    http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/