dragging a dead body

bpatterson

Aug 27, 2006
Long story short I moved my seat up about a 1/4 inch before my ride yesterday and I stopped twice to check for a flat... I can't believe moving the seat up that little could cause that significant of a difference .. is it me maybe coincidence maybe I’m getting sick? what's the deal? I moved the seat back as soon as I got home.

bpatterson said:
Long story short I moved my seat up about a 1/4 inch before my ride yesterday and I stopped twice to check for a flat... I can't believe moving the seat up that little could cause that significant of a difference .. is it me maybe coincidence maybe I’m getting sick? what's the deal? I moved the seat back as soon as I got home.

Maybe it was the thinner air up there........ :D

could be I ride pretty much everyday if the road is clear of ice/snow but not at altitude… I’ve never had a slight change of any kind have that kind of impact ..maybe my tire pressure was low

Never heard of a problem like this. I just tried it on my bike with no ill effects at all. All I can think of is that you may have been close to your optimum height as it correlates to your pedalling style and raising the seat threw everthing out of whack.

bpatterson said:
Check to make sure that a brake is not dragging or some other problem that came up at the same time that you changed the saddle height. I doubt that it is the saddle height. A simple test would be to lower it back and see if it goes back. I suspect the problem will persist until otherwise diagnosed and fixed.

bpatterson said:
I think people's performance varies for different reasons, and can vary with factors that seem as if they oughtn't to be significant.

My own 'curse' was a Specialized Allez that left me totally 'bushed' after every ride. Couldn't generate any power at all and just felt dreadful. I measured every dimension to be measured and changed everything to be within millimetres of my best bike. Still nothing, still awful.

My best power and stamina are consistently on my steel bike, which is heavier in every way. But I ride much better on it. Makes sense? No, I don't think so either. (I always take great care to set up equal dimensions, so it shouldn't be a factor.)

So, it's a very fickle thing, for me at least. The slightest difference really can make the ride horrible. When it 'works', I make a note of where eveything was, which bike etc, etc and only deviate from that if I don't mind a horrible ride, or if it's an experiment of one kind or another.

Of course the other major factor, for me at least, is that I can be having a really 'off' day and I could be riding a helium filled titanium frame with anti-gravity wheels and tyres, and I'd still be totally ****. It just happens sometimes.

it must have been position and tire pressure ... went out yesterday and took my turn pulling at 24mph with no worries... i just hope that is my worst day on a bike for a long timethanks