Dreaded ITBS

cycledeep

Apr 12, 2006
I have read many helpful suggestions on dealing with ITBS. Thus far (now 6 weeks after it all started), I have stayed off the bike, undergone 4 active release session, am icing and stretching, and using ketoprofen (topical anti-inflammatory). I still have significant pain with extension and upon waking. Any suggestions?

cycledeep said:
I have read many helpful suggestions on dealing with ITBS. Thus far (now 6 weeks after it all started), I have stayed off the bike, undergone 4 active release session, am icing and stretching, and using ketoprofen (topical anti-inflammatory). I still have significant pain with extension and upon waking. Any suggestions?
You are doing all the correct treatments. Ice especially after ART. Have your foot, knee and hip biomechanics checked out by your ART provider as well as a motor assessment of the lower kinetic chain into the low back region, i.e. weak glutes may be problematic. Make sure your bike/pedal positioning isn't predisposing you to it as well, a seat slightly to high will make you extend and stress the ITB. Give it a little time and it won't become a chronic issue.

SportDoc said:
You are doing all the correct treatments. Ice especially after ART. Have your foot, knee and hip biomechanics checked out by your ART provider as well as a motor assessment of the lower kinetic chain into the low back region, i.e. weak glutes may be problematic. Make sure your bike/pedal positioning isn't predisposing you to it as well, a seat slightly to high will make you extend and stress the ITB. Give it a little time and it won't become a chronic issue.

Hey! Thanks for the response. I plan on getting my mechanics checked out soon and will start working on glute strengthening with my PT. Just very frustrating as this has taken me off the bike with significant ensuring deconditioning. I have even contemplated surgery to get back on the bike. Thanks again.

I got it bad from running (down a mountain-stupid), and it had me completely hobbled for biking and running. It took about 2-3 months to get rid of it completely, with ice, lots of advil, and lots of stretching (focusing on the glutes and outer thigh). Make sure you are stretching every day, and rolling the outside of your thigh over a foam roller also helps loosen up the tough IT band tissue.

Once you get the inflamation down, the mechanical solution may be as simple as an orthotic or sticking some wedges under a cleat (a professional bike fitter can determine this).