dream bike?



Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vik187

Guest
to get away from the serious topics and the petty fighting

if money was no problem what would be you dream bike. Feel free to mix and match any components to
any frame.
 
S

Smmb

Guest
BMW 1150 - stock.

<[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de : news:[email protected]...
> to get away from the serious topics and the petty fighting
>
> if money was no problem what would be you dream bike. Feel free to mix and match any components to
> any frame.
--

Bonne route,

Sandy Paris FR
 
H

Howard Kveck

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
"SMMB" <[email protected]> wrote:

> BMW 1150 - stock.

Honda RCV - stock (like I caould actually ride it!)

>
> <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de : news:[email protected]...
> > to get away from the serious topics and the petty fighting
> >
> > if money was no problem what would be you dream bike. Feel free to mix and match any components
> > to any frame.

--
tanx, Howard

"We're not laughing -at- you, we're laughing -with- you..) "But... I'm not
laughing???" Happiness

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
 
J

John Forrest To

Guest
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 07:34:17 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>
>if money was no problem what would be you dream bike.

Please don't post this type of question here, it belongs in rec.bicycles.tech.

JT
 
S

Smmb

Guest
Good point ! Bicycles are the farthest off-topic in this group.

--

Bonne route,

Sandy Paris FR

"John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 07:34:17 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
>
>
> >
> >if money was no problem what would be you dream bike.
>
> Please don't post this type of question here, it belongs in rec.bicycles.tech.
>
> JT
 
E

Ewoud Dronkert

Guest
On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:47:58 +0100, SMMB wrote:
> Good point ! Bicycles are the farthest off-topic in this group.

Not compared to ethnic cleansing for example, but this group is about racing, not materiel.
 
S

Smmb

Guest
"Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:47:58 +0100, SMMB wrote:
> > Good point ! Bicycles are the farthest off-topic in this group.
>
> Not compared to ethnic cleansing for example, but this group is about racing, not materiel.

Well, let's just change the way it was presented -

"When you are doing your positive mental imaging in preparation for a highly contested race you
desperately want to win, does a particular preferred bicycle configuration integrate into your
overall scheme of getting ready ?"

If I was rude with my response, sorry.
--

Bonne route,

Sandy Paris FR
 
E

Ewoud Dronkert

Guest
On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 18:10:34 +0100, SMMB wrote:
> Well, let's just change the way it was presented -

Yes, a perspective change may affect the on-topicness.
 
K

Kurgan Gringion

Guest
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> to get away from the serious topics and the petty fighting
>
> if money was no problem what would be you dream bike. Feel Fred to mix and match any components to
> any frame.

Goddamm.

You are an idiot.
 
P

Per ElmsäTer

Guest
[email protected] wrote:
> to get away from the serious topics and the petty fighting
>
> if money was no problem what would be you dream bike. Feel free to mix and match any components to
> any frame.

Interesting. It doesn't look like anybody here cares to bring a bike along on their rides. For me
the answer is simple. My current bike of course. If it wasn't I wouldn't have it.
--
Perre

You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.
 
D

Deeznuts

Guest
John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 07:34:17 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
>
>
> >
> >if money was no problem what would be you dream bike.
>
> Please don't post this type of question here, it belongs in rec.bicycles.tech.
>
> JT

No dude. It belongs in rec.bicycles.fredly.questions.

deez
 
C

Callistus Valer

Guest
> if money was no problem what would be you dream bike.

A Schwinn Varsity and two kids.
 
H

Howard Kveck

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (TritonRider) wrote:

> >[email protected] Date: 2/1/2004 4:20 AM Eastern
>
> > Honda RCV - stock (like I caould actually ride it!)
> >
>
> How about an NSR500 I'd love to try one just once. The engineering in that bike still intrigues
> me. Bill C

NSRs are very cool, but I think the RCV makes them look kind of rough, tech-wise. I'd also have
to say that, in spite of having about 45 more hp, the RCV would be far less terrifying to ride
than the NSR. It's all about power delivery.

btw, I meant to say "could".

--
tanx, Howard

"We're not laughing -at- you, we're laughing -with- you..) "But... I'm not
laughing???" Happiness

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
 
J

Jiyang Chen

Guest
"Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > if money was no problem what would be you dream bike.
>
> A Schwinn Varsity and two kids.
>

the Colnago C50, which will make centuries easier, and the Campy Record 10, which makes a huge
difference.
 
B

Bob Schwartz

Guest
[email protected] wrote:
> to get away from the serious topics and the petty fighting

> if money was no problem what would be you dream bike. Feel free to mix and match any components to
> any frame.

Fred,

One of these: http://www.colnago.com/catalogo_2004/img/c50_bike.html With these wheels:
http://www.amclassic.com/Mag_300_Wheels.html And these: http://www.zerogravitybike.com/

If you had a bike like that and raced masters in California you'd be ready to turn pro...

Bob Schwartz [email protected]
 
S

Steve Blankensh

Guest
TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >rom: Howard Kveck [email protected]
>
> > NSRs are very cool, but I think the RCV makes them look kind of rough,
> > tech-wise. I'd also have to say that, in spite of having about 45 more
hp,
> >the RCV would be far less terrifying to ride than the NSR. It's all about power delivery.
> >
> > btw, I meant to say "could".
> >
> >--
> > tanx, Howard
> >
> > I love the original V-Max too. I got over 130 clocked by a 'Vette; with
a
> modified Trident Triple. The scary thing about that is that the Brit bikes
lock
> upright at speed due to gyroscopic design. Bill C
>

Funny original V-Max story, from the days when I used to sell them. First one we got, the customer
goes away happy but comes back the next day ****** off. Says the clutch is already slipping whenever
he opens it up. We scratch our heads and suggest that's pretty unlikely, so he says watch & listen
while he rides it up the road and back in front of the shop. Sure enough, it sounds like it is
slipping as rides by and opens the throttle at about 30mph. Only on his third pass do I look down
and notice the long black marks in the road that weren't there before.

He comes back in and says, "See?". I say "Yep" and point to the 50ft rubber strips in the road that
used to be attached to his rear tire. "Strong bike you bought yourself there; clutch looks like it's
working OK." He gets bug eyed for a second, then breaks into a big stupid grin and we go order some
extra rear tires to stock for him. He goes away happy again. Those things had serious motor for
their day... ;-)

SB

PS - Forget the NSR500; an effective GP bike for sure, but the really cool one was the old NR500
four stroke they experimented with - oval pistons, eight valves per cylinder, 20,000+rpm. At
about 150hp, they weren't all that far off the 2-strokes of the time, but a bit porky and
troublesome. With that kind of specific output the current RCV's would be making 300hp. No one
could ride one, of course.
 
H

Howard Kveck

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
"Steve Blankenship" <[email protected]> wrote:

> PS - Forget the NSR500; an effective GP bike for sure, but the really cool one was the old NR500
> four stroke they experimented with - oval pistons, eight valves per cylinder, 20,000+rpm. At
> about 150hp, they weren't all that far off the 2-strokes of the time, but a bit porky and
> troublesome. With that kind of specific output the current RCV's would be making 300hp. No one
> could ride one, of course.

http://www.2tausend1.de/motors/normal/Honda-NR500-GPracer-1979.jpg
http://www.billzilla.org/nrheadsoff.jpg http://www.billzilla.org/nrpiston.jpg

Ring problems were the downfall of the NR. Oval pistons are legal in the new rules - no takers.

--
tanx, Howard

"We're not laughing -at- you, we're laughing -with- you..) "But... I'm not
laughing???" Happiness

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
 
C

Callistus Valer

Guest
> > A Schwinn Varsity and two kids.
> >
>
> the Colnago C50, which will make centuries easier, and the Campy Record
10,
> which makes a huge difference.
>

Nick convinced me that I should feel guilty about owning a C-50.
 
S

Steve Blankensh

Guest
"Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "Steve Blankenship"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > PS - Forget the NSR500; an effective GP bike for sure, but the really
cool
> > one was the old NR500 four stroke they experimented with - oval pistons, eight valves per
> > cylinder, 20,000+rpm. At about 150hp, they weren't all that far off the 2-strokes of the time,
> > but a bit porky and troublesome. With that kind of specific output the current RCV's would be
> > making
300hp.
> > No one could ride one, of course.
>
> http://www.2tausend1.de/motors/normal/Honda-NR500-GPracer-1979.jpg
> http://www.billzilla.org/nrheadsoff.jpg http://www.billzilla.org/nrpiston.jpg
>
> Ring problems were the downfall of the NR. Oval pistons are legal in
the
> new rules - no takers.
>

Yeah; tough to get "rings" to behave that aren't round! But now that four strokes can run 1000cc,
they don't need the valve area they did then. They can already make more power than they do, but
have enough tire issues as it is. Rideability and tire life are the priorities.

Back when Honda dreamed up the NR500, they were limited to the same 500cc as the 2-strokes and 4
cylinders max. So they basically made a "cheater" V8 and dialed up the revs to nosebleed level. Only
way they could hope to get close to a 500cc 2-stroke.

If memory serves they even did a super-limited run of street-legal 750 versions in the mid-80's.
Wonder if any of them are still running outside of Honda's own museum...

SB

V8's too (weight penalties make more cylinders a n), which is what Honda was effectively trying to
do back with the NR500
 
H

Howard Kveck

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
"Steve Blankenship" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yeah; tough to get "rings" to behave that aren't round! But now that four strokes can run 1000cc,
> they don't need the valve area they did then. They can already make more power than they do, but
> have enough tire issues as it is. Rideability and tire life are the priorities.

Oddly, they seem to have had no more tire troubles than the 500s did recently, in spite of the
massive increase in hp.

> Back when Honda dreamed up the NR500, they were limited to the same 500cc as the 2-strokes and 4
> cylinders max. So they basically made a "cheater" V8 and dialed up the revs to nosebleed level.
> Only way they could hope to get close to a 500cc 2-stroke.

If you want nosebleed rpm levels, check out the mid '60s 50cc twins that Honda raced - those
ran up around 22,000 rpm, with bursts up to 23,500 (iirc). I had seen at least one source that
said the 50s could get up into the 26,000 range, but that was the only one who said that, so it
seems doubtful.

>
> If memory serves they even did a super-limited run of street-legal 750 versions in the mid-80's.
> Wonder if any of them are still running outside of Honda's own museum...

Yes, I saw one for sale a couple years ago (it was listed in Florida); the asking price was
pretty steep, like in the $60k area. Here was another: http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-
msg.tcl?msg_id=00B28K

--
tanx, Howard

"We're not laughing -at- you, we're laughing -with- you..) "But... I'm not
laughing???" Happiness

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.