Dream Cassette. Is this Possible?

Richard Rodgers

Guest
Folks: Having come from a diamond frame world where I used a REGINA 14-16-18-21-28-32 on the the
rear wheel, I find myself at a loss in the bent world! With my Sabre three rings in the front
(52-42-30) and using SPRAM Rocket shifters, I would like to have the following on the rear wheel
14-16-17-18-19-21-24-28-34. Is this possible and if so where do I get the SRAM/Shamino rear
cassette. Richard Rodgers

[email protected] (Richard Rodgers) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> 14-16-17-18-19-21-24-28-34

The closest I see in an SRAM is 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-34. Shimano cassettes can be disassembled,
as I remember. IF you can get the desired cogs for the appropriate locations, one can construct a
custom cassette.

happy trails, rorschandt

Called the folks at Harris and the custom cassette is under construction and will be on its way
soon. Thanks for the help Richard Rodgers

"Ren Hoek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (Richard Rodgers) wrote in news:[email protected]:
> >
> > > 14-16-17-18-19-21-24-28-34
> >

> This site has a good breakdown of standard cassettes. I believe he also sells the individual gears
> - remember that the bottom (biggest) 3-4 are linked together...
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#9cassettes
>
> -RenHoek

The largest cogs aren't necessarily linked together. That's only the case on the more expensive
cassettes.

Email Sheldon. He'll be able to tell you if your combination can be kitbashed* together.

Jeff

[* kitbash: verb- to disassembled manufactured assemblies and reassemble the components in
combinations not available from the original manufacturer.]

Shimano has a 12-34. Their isn't much of a difference between 11-34 and 12-34 nor the the 11-32.

You should try something like a 48 - 38-26 with a 11-25.

If you are going that route.

"Richard Rodgers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Folks: Having come from a diamond frame world where I used a REGINA
14-16-18-21-28-32
> on the the rear wheel, I find myself at a loss in the bent world! With my Sabre three rings in the
> front (52-42-30) and using SPRAM Rocket
shifters, I
> would like to have the following on the rear wheel
14-16-17-18-19-21-24-28-34.
> Is this possible and if so where do I get the SRAM/Shamino rear cassette. Richard Rodgers

My problem is finding correct gearing for the 20 inch wheel. Shimano is coming out with the capreo
which is 9-26 which might work better for a 20 inch wheel.

"Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Shimano has a 12-34. Their isn't much of a difference between 11-34 and 12-34 nor the the
11-32.

> You should try something like a 48 - 38-26 with a 11-25.
>
> If you are going that route.
>
> "Richard Rodgers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Folks: Having come from a diamond frame world where I used a REGINA
> 14-16-18-21-28-32
> > on the the rear wheel, I find myself at a loss in the bent world! With
my
> > Sabre three rings in the front (52-42-30) and using SPRAM Rocket
> shifters, I
> > would like to have the following on the rear wheel
> 14-16-17-18-19-21-24-28-34.
> > Is this possible and if so where do I get the SRAM/Shamino rear
cassette.
> > Richard Rodgers

http://store.yahoo.com/vss-electronics/pr-114dg.html For me BIG Difference. I ride most in 52/18.
however because we have some rather "nice" hills here in eastern indiana and western Ohio I "enjoy"
the opportunity to use such gears as 52/28 and 52/34. On that rare day when the wind is at my back
and the ground is level the 52/14 is useful. The other 16,17,18,19, allow for small changes in
weather and landscape. Yes, I use the whole package. Richard Rodgers

>Subject: Re: Dream Cassette. Is this Possible? From: [email protected] (Richard Rodgers) Date: 1/28/03
>8:21 AM US Eastern Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
>
>http://store.yahoo.com/vss-electronics/pr-114dg.html For me BIG Difference. I ride most in 52/18.
>however because we have some rather "nice" hills here in eastern indiana and western Ohio I "enjoy"
>the opportunity to use such gears as 52/28 and 52/34. On that rare day when the wind is at my back
>and the ground is level the 52/14 is useful. The other 16,17,18,19, allow for small changes in
>weather and landscape. Yes, I use the whole package. Richard Rodgers

Sorry should be 42/34 and 30/34 not 52/34! Richard Rodgers.

Alpha Beta wrote:

> My problem is finding correct gearing for the 20 inch wheel. Shimano is coming out with the capreo
> which is 9-26 which might work better for a 20 inch wheel.

My experience has convinced me that the best solution for small diameter drivewheels is a step-up
jackshaft.

For instance, with a 47-406 Comp Pool tire on the drivewheel, I have a very useful gear inch range
of 19-120 with a 13/20T step-up, an 11-34T XT cassette, and a 44/32/22T Deore crankset. Shifting is
also excellent with XT front and XTR rear derailleurs and SRAM Plasma shifters.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
Dragonflyer