Dream Cassette. Is this Possible?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Richard Rodgers, Jan 27, 2003.

  1. Folks: Having come from a diamond frame world where I used a REGINA 14-16-18-21-28-32 on the the
    rear wheel, I find myself at a loss in the bent world! With my Sabre three rings in the front
    (52-42-30) and using SPRAM Rocket shifters, I would like to have the following on the rear wheel
    14-16-17-18-19-21-24-28-34. Is this possible and if so where do I get the SRAM/Shamino rear
    cassette. Richard Rodgers

    Tags:

  2. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    [email protected] (Richard Rodgers) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > 14-16-17-18-19-21-24-28-34

    The closest I see in an SRAM is 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-34. Shimano cassettes can be disassembled,
    as I remember. IF you can get the desired cogs for the appropriate locations, one can construct a
    custom cassette.

    happy trails, rorschandt

  3. Ren Hoek

    Ren Hoek Guest

  4. Called the folks at Harris and the custom cassette is under construction and will be on its way
    soon. Thanks for the help Richard Rodgers

  5. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Ren Hoek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (Richard Rodgers) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > >
    > > > 14-16-17-18-19-21-24-28-34
    > >

    > This site has a good breakdown of standard cassettes. I believe he also sells the individual gears
    > - remember that the bottom (biggest) 3-4 are linked together...
    >
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#9cassettes
    >
    > -RenHoek

    The largest cogs aren't necessarily linked together. That's only the case on the more expensive
    cassettes.

    Email Sheldon. He'll be able to tell you if your combination can be kitbashed* together.

    Jeff

    [* kitbash: verb- to disassembled manufactured assemblies and reassemble the components in
    combinations not available from the original manufacturer.]

  6. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

    Shimano has a 12-34. Their isn't much of a difference between 11-34 and 12-34 nor the the 11-32.

    You should try something like a 48 - 38-26 with a 11-25.

    If you are going that route.

    "Richard Rodgers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Folks: Having come from a diamond frame world where I used a REGINA
    14-16-18-21-28-32
    > on the the rear wheel, I find myself at a loss in the bent world! With my Sabre three rings in the
    > front (52-42-30) and using SPRAM Rocket
    shifters, I
    > would like to have the following on the rear wheel
    14-16-17-18-19-21-24-28-34.
    > Is this possible and if so where do I get the SRAM/Shamino rear cassette. Richard Rodgers

  7. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

    My problem is finding correct gearing for the 20 inch wheel. Shimano is coming out with the capreo
    which is 9-26 which might work better for a 20 inch wheel.

    "Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Shimano has a 12-34. Their isn't much of a difference between 11-34 and 12-34 nor the the
    11-32.

    > You should try something like a 48 - 38-26 with a 11-25.
    >
    > If you are going that route.
    >
    > "Richard Rodgers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Folks: Having come from a diamond frame world where I used a REGINA
    > 14-16-18-21-28-32
    > > on the the rear wheel, I find myself at a loss in the bent world! With
    my
    > > Sabre three rings in the front (52-42-30) and using SPRAM Rocket
    > shifters, I
    > > would like to have the following on the rear wheel
    > 14-16-17-18-19-21-24-28-34.
    > > Is this possible and if so where do I get the SRAM/Shamino rear
    cassette.
    > > Richard Rodgers

  8. http://store.yahoo.com/vss-electronics/pr-114dg.html For me BIG Difference. I ride most in 52/18.
    however because we have some rather "nice" hills here in eastern indiana and western Ohio I "enjoy"
    the opportunity to use such gears as 52/28 and 52/34. On that rare day when the wind is at my back
    and the ground is level the 52/14 is useful. The other 16,17,18,19, allow for small changes in
    weather and landscape. Yes, I use the whole package. Richard Rodgers

  9. >Subject: Re: Dream Cassette. Is this Possible? From: [email protected] (Richard Rodgers) Date: 1/28/03
    >8:21 AM US Eastern Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >
    >http://store.yahoo.com/vss-electronics/pr-114dg.html For me BIG Difference. I ride most in 52/18.
    >however because we have some rather "nice" hills here in eastern indiana and western Ohio I "enjoy"
    >the opportunity to use such gears as 52/28 and 52/34. On that rare day when the wind is at my back
    >and the ground is level the 52/14 is useful. The other 16,17,18,19, allow for small changes in
    >weather and landscape. Yes, I use the whole package. Richard Rodgers

    Sorry should be 42/34 and 30/34 not 52/34! Richard Rodgers.

  10. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Alpha Beta wrote:

    > My problem is finding correct gearing for the 20 inch wheel. Shimano is coming out with the capreo
    > which is 9-26 which might work better for a 20 inch wheel.

    My experience has convinced me that the best solution for small diameter drivewheels is a step-up
    jackshaft.

    For instance, with a 47-406 Comp Pool tire on the drivewheel, I have a very useful gear inch range
    of 19-120 with a 13/20T step-up, an 11-34T XT cassette, and a 44/32/22T Deore crankset. Shifting is
    also excellent with XT front and XTR rear derailleurs and SRAM Plasma shifters.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer