Dreams

gould86

Feb 29, 2004
Ok, so how many of us here have dreams of going pro someday? Wouldnt it be cool if more than one of us did, and then met in a race? Just dreaming...

Steven

I would really like to go pro. And it would be sweet if more than one of us did and then meet in a race (maybe the TDF :rolleyes: ). But i need to get on a team if i'm gonna get anywhere!!!

Brian

If youre already one of the best in very good international races then maybe you will be a pro in the future! If not, you can dream on hehe! In most cases its like that here in europe! I dont know how the things are in N.America..
And you must accept a lot of things if you want to be a pro, a lot of things you dont like too..

Thats sweet that you live in europe.. alot of races where you live? I'm competing in a national race next summer.. I would give up alot of things to go pro, because i have no clue what to do with my life, yet cycling seems to be an answer.

Our country is small so we dont have a lot of races! There are 13 races of our national cup and some other races, so about 20 (if) for junior category! But Italy is very close to us and there are plenty of races every weekend! Its very good to have the first cycling country in the world for the neighbour:)
gould86 said:
I would give up alot of things to go pro, because i have no clue what to do with my life, yet cycling seems to be an answer.
Heh its the same with me, I would like to become a Pro cyclist, but Im too late for that! I started the last year in junior category and if you dont have good results its very hard to come to U-23 team! And U-23 its just the beginning! If you want to become a Pro, you must be very good in U-23 and that is very, very hard!
There is another problem..without chemistry, you cant be good Pro or even you cant become Pro..

So you are 86 generation too! How is your cycling?

Well i couldnt really tell you how good my cycling is... i only ride alone and i've never raced... i live in a rural town. My longest ride was 90km, and my 20k (hilly) time is 35min.

Virenque said:
Our country is small so we dont have a lot of races! There are 13 races of our national cup and some other races, so about 20 (if) for junior category! But Italy is very close to us and there are plenty of races every weekend! Its very good to have the first cycling country in the world for the neighbour:)
Heh its the same with me, I would like to become a Pro cyclist, but Im too late for that! I started the last year in junior category and if you dont have good results its very hard to come to U-23 team! And U-23 its just the beginning! If you want to become a Pro, you must be very good in U-23 and that is very, very hard!
There is another problem..without chemistry, you cant be good Pro or even you cant become Pro..

So you are 86 generation too! How is your cycling?
Same story with me!- 86 generation, started last year as a junior. Since I started last year only, I'm hoping I haven't yet come close to my potential. I'm thinking a good idea would be to race for university, and see where that can take me... Too bad there aren't any cycling scholarships that I know of in N.America. Does anyone else know anything about a scholarship? How about in Europe? That would be a great way to focus on racing, all the while building a career in case the dream doesn't materialize.

Gould, that would also be a great way (living at school) for you to get into racing if there isn't much racing near you. Where do you live?

Hey dave is there a North America Institute of Sport? If there is they would probly have cycling as one of theirs sports. Here in Australia the AIS (Australian Institution of Sport) accecpt applications for scholarships each year. But to apply for one you have to be competing at a national chapionship level.

Thats about all i know. hehe now i cant wait to get up to national level! :D

Hey dave is there a North America Institute of Sport? If there is they would probly have cycling as one of theirs sports. Here in Australia the AIS (Australian Institution of Sport) accecpt applications for scholarships each year. But to apply for one you have to be competing at a national chapionship level.

Thats about all i know. hehe now i cant wait to get up to national level! :D

racer dave said:
Same story with me!- 86 generation, started last year as a junior. Since I started last year only, I'm hoping I haven't yet come close to my potential. I'm thinking a good idea would be to race for university, and see where that can take me... Too bad there aren't any cycling scholarships that I know of in N.America. Does anyone else know anything about a scholarship? How about in Europe? That would be a great way to focus on racing, all the while building a career in case the dream doesn't materialize.

Gould, that would also be a great way (living at school) for you to get into racing if there isn't much racing near you. Where do you live?
In Europe you ride for a club, universities have just amateur teams (if)! So the only way is to have the licence of one club and if youre good, you are in the team (max. around 10 riders in our club), club gives you all (bike, equipment, ..) and you get a pay too (depends of your results)! But as I said before, its not easy to be so good to be in the team! Then you have just a licence and you must go to races by yourself, you dont have a club bike, you must pay for jersey and shorts and so on! Its like that here..

I have dreams of becomming very active in cycling. To compete at a regional or national level would be awesome. My goal for next year is to be Cat 3 or 2 by the end of the season. I am also planning to compete in a couple national and international events such as the Murysville Cycling Classic, Tour de Toona (international), and the Park City Cycling Festival. I just want to win as many races as i can next year and start placing high in the U23 categorys

I know Ill never be good enough to go pro, but I do want the rest of my life to center around bikes. Maybe a mechanic at a shop or something. :)

My dream may not be to become pro, but rather to always be doing what i love; which is racing bikes. If i ever do get a chance to be pro, even a cheap payed pro i'd drop what i was doing for it in an instance. I'll just go my max and see where it takes me, but whereever it is it's all good no regrets just good times.

Bluey_27 said:
All it takes to get good is dedication to training (and time)

Don't forget genetics, and most importantly...doping according to everyone close to the pro racing scene.

wilmar13 said:
Don't forget genetics, and most importantly...doping according to everyone close to the pro racing scene.

I agree totally with what you are saying regarding the pro scene, there will always be some taking, but on this forum where there are younger riders who could read that and suddenly think drugs=performance I don't think its warranted.