Dressed as a transportational cyclist

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Claire, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. Claire

    Claire Guest

    It was raining to beat the band this morning on the way to work. Enough
    so that I felt that going the 5 or 6 miles to the park and ride was
    enough.

    You know, I think of myself as a "transportational" cyclist. Someone
    who rides not just for fun -- and don't get me wrong, I do have fun --
    but also to get places. And this morning, I felt like I was decked out
    as a transportational cyclist. Someone who is used to riding in the
    dark and rain. So here I was, waiting for the bus, in my booties and
    orange reflective vest and technical-fabric jacket. And then someone
    else comes up to the bus stop in this downpour. He's riding a Huffy.
    He's wearing a navy blue blazer, white button-down shirt, striped tie,
    grey slacks, and a nice pair of shiny black loafers. And you know what?
    He's just as much a transportational cyclist, and dressed as one.

    P.S. I got a new job today!! Woo-hoo! Woo-hoo!

    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky ([email protected])
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    See the books I've set free at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/referr­al/Cpetersky

    Tags:

  2. Cully_J

    Cully_J Guest

    "Claire" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
[...]

    Awesome Claire,

    You sound like a tough chick. And, if you don't mind me asking, "what do you
    do?"

    After asking that question, I'd like to know what others do for work.

    I'm a librarian.

    Cully_J

  3. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

  4. Alex Potter

    Alex Potter Guest

    Claire wrote on Thursday 05 January 2006 22:21:

    > P.S. I got a new job today!! Woo-hoo! Woo-hoo!

    Congrastulations, Claire. Hope it's a good 'un?
    --
    Regards
    Alex

  5. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

    Woo hoo to Claire on the employment. I've thought exactly the same
    about other transportational cyclists who dress "normally." I've even
    moved more toward looking like a DUI cyclist instead of the fully
    decked out OCP who also happens to ride to work.

    Cully_J wrote:

    > I'm a librarian.

    I hunt and destroy spammers for a living. The bounty is still pretty
    good if you can bag enough of them.

    RFM
    http://www.cyclelicio.us/

  6. Patrick Lamb

    Patrick Lamb Guest

    On 5 Jan 2006 14:21:57 -0800, "Claire" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >P.S. I got a new job today!! Woo-hoo! Woo-hoo!

    We want to know all the details. How far is it from home? Is it
    close to a bus line if you need to ride? Where will you park your
    bike? Does it have showers? Can you see outside to check the weather
    before your ride home?

    Oh yeah, and do you think you'll like the job?

    Pat

    Email address works as is.

  7. Hoi Polloi

    Hoi Polloi Guest

    "Fritz M" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1136504644.338982.209400
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > I hunt and destroy spammers for a living. The bounty is still pretty
    > good if you can bag enough of them.
    >
    > RFM
    > http://www.cyclelicio.us/

    In that case, would you kindly consider going after a certain spammoid
    haunting this group and r.b.t.? We would all be so thankful. :)

    --

    Hoi Polloi

  8. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Patrick Lamb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 5 Jan 2006 14:21:57 -0800, "Claire" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>P.S. I got a new job today!! Woo-hoo! Woo-hoo!

    > We want to know all the details. How far is it from home? Is it
    > close to a bus line if you need to ride? Where will you park your
    > bike? Does it have showers? Can you see outside to check the weather
    > before your ride home?
    >
    > Oh yeah, and do you think you'll like the job?

    Since Claire posts under her own name and this is a public newsgroup, she
    loves the job. Her cow orkers are marvelous people, all kind and helpful and
    skillful and willing to mentor her. Her boss is up for canonization. The
    benefits are perfect.

  9. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    On 5 Jan 2006 14:21:57 -0800, "Claire" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >P.S. I got a new job today!! Woo-hoo! Woo-hoo!

    So how's the parking?
    --
    zk

  10. Any luck working on the guy posting http highracers blogspot com ?

    Fritz M wrote:
    > I hunt and destroy spammers for a living. The bounty is still pretty
    > good if you can bag enough of them.
    > RFM
    > http://www.cyclelicio.us/

  11. Eric Babula

    Eric Babula Guest

    "Cully_J" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Claire" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > It was raining to beat the band this morning on the way to work.
    > Enough so that I felt that going the 5 or 6 miles to the park and
    > ride was enough.
    >
    > You know, I think of myself as a "transportational" cyclist.
    > Someone who rides not just for fun -- and don't get me wrong, I do
    > have fun -- but also to get places. And this morning, I felt like I
    > was decked out as a transportational cyclist. Someone who is used
    > to riding in the dark and rain. So here I was, waiting for the bus,
    > in my booties and orange reflective vest and technical-fabric
    > jacket. And then someone else comes up to the bus stop in this
    > downpour. He's riding a Huffy. He's wearing a navy blue blazer,
    > white button-down shirt, striped tie, grey slacks, and a nice pair
    > of shiny black loafers. And you know what? He's just as much a
    > transportational cyclist, and dressed as one.
    >
    > P.S. I got a new job today!! Woo-hoo! Woo-hoo!
    >
    > Warm Regards,
    >
    > Claire Petersky ([email protected])
    >

    > Awesome Claire,
    >
    > You sound like a tough chick. And, if you don't mind me asking,
    > "what do you do?"
    >
    > After asking that question, I'd like to know what others do for
    > work.
    >
    > I'm a librarian.
    >
    > Cully_J

    Claire - you're an inspiration to us all!

    Cully - I work at an Architectural firm - Health Care group.

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
    of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body.
    But rather, it’s to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,
    totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a ride!!!'

  12. dgk

    dgk Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 22:31:30 GMT, "Cully_J" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >After asking that question, I'd like to know what others do for work.
    >
    >I'm a librarian.
    >
    >Cully_J

    computer programmer

  13. "Patrick Lamb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 5 Jan 2006 14:21:57 -0800, "Claire" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>P.S. I got a new job today!! Woo-hoo! Woo-hoo!

    > We want to know all the details. How far is it from home? Is it
    > close to a bus line if you need to ride? Where will you park your
    > bike? Does it have showers? Can you see outside to check the weather
    > before your ride home?

    It's at a sister agency to the one I work for, so it's the same building,
    same bicycle parking, even the same shower room.

    WSDOT has a pretty good camera/weather system, so even if I didn't have a
    window, I can always check on line to see wind speed, temperature, how bad
    it's raining.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    See the books I've set free at:

  14. H M Leary

    H M Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Patrick Lamb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > On 5 Jan 2006 14:21:57 -0800, "Claire" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>P.S. I got a new job today!! Woo-hoo! Woo-hoo!

    > > We want to know all the details. How far is it from home? Is it
    > > close to a bus line if you need to ride? Where will you park your
    > > bike? Does it have showers? Can you see outside to check the weather
    > > before your ride home?

    > It's at a sister agency to the one I work for, so it's the same building,
    > same bicycle parking, even the same shower room.
    >
    > WSDOT has a pretty good camera/weather system, so even if I didn't have a
    > window, I can always check on line to see wind speed, temperature, how bad
    > it's raining.

    Dear Claire:

    Can you see the coast on that thing?

    SURFS UP!

    HAND

  15. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:

    > WSDOT has a pretty good camera/weather system, so even if I didn't have a
    > window, I can always check on line to see wind speed, temperature, how bad
    > it's raining.

    I love looking at that kind of stuff. And on the morning TV
    news traffic reports, when they show the local bridges via
    permanently mounted cameras, I often find myself compelled
    to look for cyclists amid the rush hour throng.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  16. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "Cully_J" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Claire" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > It was raining to beat the band this morning on the way to work. Enough
    > so that I felt that going the 5 or 6 miles to the park and ride was
    > enough.
    >
    > You know, I think of myself as a "transportational" cyclist. Someone
    > who rides not just for fun -- and don't get me wrong, I do have fun --
    > but also to get places. And this morning, I felt like I was decked out
    > as a transportational cyclist. Someone who is used to riding in the
    > dark and rain. So here I was, waiting for the bus, in my booties and
    > orange reflective vest and technical-fabric jacket. And then someone
    > else comes up to the bus stop in this downpour. He's riding a Huffy.
    > He's wearing a navy blue blazer, white button-down shirt, striped tie,
    > grey slacks, and a nice pair of shiny black loafers. And you know what?
    > He's just as much a transportational cyclist, and dressed as one.
    >
    > P.S. I got a new job today!! Woo-hoo! Woo-hoo!
    >
    > Warm Regards,
    >
    > Claire Petersky ([email protected])
    >

    > Awesome Claire,
    >
    > You sound like a tough chick. And, if you don't mind me asking, "what do
    > you
    > do?"
    >
    > After asking that question, I'd like to know what others do for work.
    >
    > I'm a librarian.
    >
    > Cully_J

    A) I'll bet Claire was much more comfortable than the Huffy guy. Getting
    caught in a few downpours will either make him get better riding clothes or
    quit riding.

    B) I'm a dental assistant. Never thought I'd spend my days asking old people
    to put their dentures in my hand, but it beats digging ditches. :)

  17. Veloise

    Veloise Guest

    Cully_J wrote:
    > ... I'd like to know what others do for work.
    >
    > I'm a librarian.

    City planner, sometimes in the public sector, presently in the private
    one.

    --Karen D.
    yes, the career choice was deliberate

  18. cycle-one

    cycle-one Guest

    "Veloise" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Cully_J wrote:
    >> ... I'd like to know what others do for work.
    >>
    >> I'm a librarian.

    > City planner, sometimes in the public sector, presently in the private
    > one.

    Library patron, SimCity player and Venture capitalist.

  19. "Cully_J" wrote in message

    >B) I'm a dental assistant. Never thought I'd spend my days asking old people
    >to put their dentures in my hand, but it beats digging ditches. :)

    I guess I am one of those "old people" - thanks! - But I don't use
    dentures, but my sis does.

    I used to be "tired" but now I am "re tired"

    Even as "old" and "doddering" as we are, my wife (68) and I (66) we
    still manage to creak onto the bicycles and spindle our weak legs a few
    thousand miles per year. Sort of amazing, isn't it :eek:)

  20. "Veloise" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Cully_J wrote:
    >> ... I'd like to know what others do for work.
    >>
    >> I'm a librarian.

    > City planner, sometimes in the public sector, presently in the private
    > one.

    I have a masters in city and regional planning, but I'm in public finance.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky