Dressing for cold weather.

Sep 30, 2017
I've been doing dawn rides all summer. I would like to continue them as long as I can. Beautiful time of day. Getting a bit chilly though. I've been working on my cold weather outfit. I should point out that I'm doing the vast majority of my rides on an MTB. I use a helmet cover, which blocks the vents, and really helps keeping my nogin warm. I wear a wind resistant balaclava underneath, but also have some skull caps, etc. that I could combine with it. One problem I'm having is with getting blinded by the rising sun. I have a cap with bill, that helps a bit, and I've just ordered an MTB helmet with bill. The problem with a helmet with bill is I can't use my helmet cover. The bill also helps keep the cold air from coming over the top of my glasses and making my eyes water. I've always preferred leg warmers to tights. Tights just never seem to fit right. I've been trying to come up with a way of increasing the warmth on my legs. Working on some way of combining knee warmers with leg warmers, so I have two layers over my thighs and knees. Today, I'm going to try thermal undies under the shorts and MTB or hiking shorts over my Lycra shorts to keep that area a bit warmer. I'm already doing pretty well with my torso area, but I've recently ordered a couple jackets with wind blocking front panels. I'd like to get some winter riding shoes, but they are pretty expensive. My current shoes are a little roomy, so I'm just wearing some heavy hiking socks.
What are you guys wearing for cold weather rides?

Base layers as required from Walmart. Russell brand poly stuff for the most part. Available in two weights of fabric and I buy various sizes to layer one over the other easily. Very inexpensive and just as warm as my UA gear.

I own a variety of brands and weights of cycling jackets and unless it is REALLY cold I find them too warm despite the type of materials, vents, etc. I use them for the really cold rides at a slow to moderate pace.

Headgear ranges from two light balaclavas, medium weight and heavy balaclavas. I also use skull caps, dew rags, ear warmer bands and the old cotton cycling cap under the helmet if it isn't too cold.

Silk socks, cotton socks, wool socks...tried it all and my toes freeze from 35 degrees on down. Chemical foot heaters sandwiched between the instep of my shoes and shoe covers help somewhat, as do the chemical hand warmers slipped in between two pairs of gloves.

There's lots more I do, but let some of the other guys tell you their routine for dressing for Winter.

Base layers as required from Walmart. Russell brand poly stuff for the most part. Available in two weights of fabric and I buy various sizes to layer one over the other easily. Very inexpensive and just as warm as my UA gear.

Very glad you brought this up, being a cold zone kind of guy.

I have bought several Wally World under layers. $10, some on sale as low as $4. Nice material, some almost felt like, very comfy.

I also bought a few high priced Nike and UA. Holy cow, $45 a pop.

I compared them and see no difference between 10 Wally Worlds and 6 UA/Nike.

I had posted somewhere about no difference and a few came down on me for not being a cold zone kind of guy,. Said I did not understand. OK, so the coldest it gets here for me is 30.

Under layers all feel the same to me. If it was cold enough to wear, 2, I don't think I would feel a difference for sure!

Reactions: CAMPYBOB and steve
Well, basically in a cold freezing weather it is best to wear a warm clothing in every part of our body. To keep our body warm and to prevent us from having hypothermia. There is a lot of items available in the internet that might suit you, wear what is best for you our health is very important. Have a chilling day!

It was cold, try to wear thicker socks :)
Last week, I had bought three sock through SKYSPER store. when I got it and wear it. warmer!

The best Winter clothing in Pakistan is very famous because this country exports sports materials to all over the world. Also, Pakistani dresses are also famous in the USA like Party Dresses, Wedding dresses.

The best Winter clothing in Pakistan is very famous because this country exports sports materials to all over the world. Also, Pakistani dresses are also famous in the USA like Party Dresses, Wedding dresses.

What brands of cycling winter clothing and party dresses would that be? To be honest, I bought a shirt made in Pakistan, looked nice but fell apart so quickly that I could not wear it more than 2 times. It was a nice dress shirt. After that experience, I look at the labels to see where the items are made and avoid buying them like the plague as most stuff made in Pakistan I see on clothing racks for sale, are not of good quality.

It has been a few years since that experience so maybe you can name some brands that are popular in the USA. I'd like to do a search on them and maybe prove my theory wrong.

I recommend Souke Sports' cycling Clothing for winter season.

$100 for a plane solid color short sleeve rather thin looking jersey? No thanks, way over priced!

And from China? Forget it, by the time it arrives, it will be summer. :D

I use a set from Nuckily, it cost me 60 euros which I found reasonable. Do keep in mind that I only cycle 1/2 times a week and don't need the best gear available!

For me, the best brand of shoes is Asics, they have shoes for each sport with a different system and they are very, very comfortable.
upload_2021-8-10_13-39-46.png