Dried beans and canned beans

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jmk, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Jmk

    Jmk Guest

    When making a recipe that calls for canned beans, how much dried beans do you substitute. I prefer
    to rehydrate my own beans when possible. If it says a 14.5 oz can, though, how much of the can is
    liquid and how much is beans?
    --
    jmk in NC

    Tags:

  2. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >jmk asks:
    >
    >When making a recipe that calls for canned beans, how much dried beans do you substitute. I prefer
    >to rehydrate my own beans when possible.

    Measure the canned *drained* beans by volume... 3 cups canned = 1 cup dried. Canned to dried is
    aproximately 3 : 1.

    >If it says a 14.5 oz can, though, how much of the can is liquid and how much is beans?

    Um, do you still have that measuring cup... you'll need to measure the liquid by *volume*... the
    *net weight* (weight of the beans less the liquid) will be indicated on the label. I've no idea
    what you mean by "a 14.5 oz can"... do you mean the label on the can of beans indicates "14.5 oz
    net weight"?

  3. Lorne Epp

    Lorne Epp Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:55:12 -0500, jmk <[email protected]> wrote:

    >When making a recipe that calls for canned beans, how much dried beans do you substitute. I prefer
    >to rehydrate my own beans when possible. If it says a 14.5 oz can, though, how much of the can is
    >liquid and how much is beans?

    Dried beans will approximately double in volume when you rehydrate them, so the equivalent of 14.5
    oz of canned beans would be 7.25 oz of dried. That's *fluid ounces* of course, not weight ounces.
    I.e., use a measuring cup, not a scale :)

  4. Nancree

    Nancree Guest

    >When making a recipe that calls for canned beans, how much dried beans do you substitute. I prefer
    >to rehydrate my own beans when possible. If it says a 14.5 oz can, though, how much of the can is
    >liquid and how much is beans?
    >--
    >jmk in NC

    I don't know, but I am wondering about your phrase "rehydrate my own beans". You do know that you
    have to cook dried beans, and it takes a few hours. --Soak overnight (or simmer for 1 hour and let
    sit for a few hours--then add more water and cook 2 or 3 hours till done.)

  5. Jmk

    Jmk Guest

    On 2/10/2004 11:39 PM, Nancree wrote:
    >>When making a recipe that calls for canned beans, how much dried beans do you substitute. I prefer
    >>to rehydrate my own beans when possible. If it says a 14.5 oz can, though, how much of the can is
    >>liquid and how much is beans?
    >>--
    >>jmk in NC

    > I don't know, but I am wondering about your phrase "rehydrate my own beans". You do know that you
    > have to cook dried beans, and it takes a few hours.

    Yes, soak overnight, cook for 90 minutes in this case.

    --
    jmk in NC

  6. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >Lorne "Idiot" Eppjmk GUESSES:
    >
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>When making a recipe that calls for canned beans, how much dried beans do you substitute. I prefer
    >>to rehydrate my own beans when possible. If it says a 14.5 oz can, though, how much of the can is
    >>liquid and how much is beans?
    >
    >Dried beans will approximately double in volume when you rehydrate them, so the equivalent of 14.5
    >oz of canned beans would be 7.25 oz of dried. That's *fluid ounces* of course, not weight ounces.
    >I.e., use a measuring cup, not a scale :)

    Idiot!

    http://www.americanbean.org/Information/Bean%20Basics/Home.htm

    Counting Beans

    One 15-ounce can of beans = one and one-half cups cooked beans, drained One pound dry beans = six
    cups cooked beans, drained. One pound dry beans = two cups dry beans. *One (1) cup dry beans = three
    (3) cups cooked beans, *drained*.
    ---

  7. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >(Nancree)
    >
    >>When making a recipe that calls for canned beans, how much dried beans do you substitute. I prefer
    >>to rehydrate my own beans when possible. If it says a 14.5 oz can, though, how much of the can is
    >>liquid and how much is beans?
    >>--
    >>jmk in NC
    >
    >I don't know, but

    If you don't know then why do you respond, butt??? DUH

    >I am wondering about your phrase "rehydrate my own beans".

    Merriam Webster

    re·hy·drate

    transitive verb

    : to restore fluid to (something dehydrated)
    ---

  8. Jmk

    Jmk Guest

    On 2/10/2004 11:12 PM, PENMART01 wrote:

    > http://www.americanbean.org/Information/Bean%20Basics/Home.htm
    >
    > Counting Beans
    >
    > One 15-ounce can of beans = one and one-half cups cooked beans, drained One pound dry beans = six
    > cups cooked beans, drained. One pound dry beans = two cups dry beans. *One (1) cup dry beans =
    > three (3) cups cooked beans, *drained*.

    Ah! Thanks a bunch. So, to replace the drained beans from a 14.5 oz can (yes, I think the cans have
    shrunken :-(), rehydrate 6 oz of dried beans (for one and one-half cups cooked beans).

    --
    jmk in NC