rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

drill bit size ? and skinny making idea

Started by teachndad · · Last activity · 4 posts · 376 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
26 September 2005
Last activity
26 September 2005
Original author
teachndad
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
376
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a 5/16" corkscrew drill bit that I want to use for building a
    trials obstacle. Is this going to be too much play for using 1/4"
    bolts? I doubt a 1/16" will make a difference and create a loose
    connection, but if I am jumping on it, will it loosen up? I bought the
    5/16" drill bit a while ago thinking that the 1/4" drill bit would
    create a hole too tight for a 1/4" bolt. That may have been in error.
    Should have asked first.

    I am going to take one of those green cylindrical fence posts you can
    buy at home depot and attach it lengthwise on top of a 2 x 6 and then
    practice riding on a skinny. They are about 7 feet long. The post is
    perhaps about 3" in diameter with a tapered point at one end that I will
    cut off. I plan to drill a hole near each end and one in the middle.
    Run bolts through it in those spots. I will also use some small blocks
    of wood as chalks on either side to help with stability. Then, finally,
    add some 26" 2x4s as stablizers perpindicular at each end.

    --
    teachndad - ONE for the...Off Road

    Rod Wylie

    'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greater-Los-Angeles-Trails)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
    (http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)
    'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/43529

  2. As Tom Blackwood will attest you don't need bolts at all. Just make
    ramps out of flexy 2x4's running up to a cross piece resting on flimsy
    sawhorses. Sure, you have to set it back up every once in awhile but you
    don't waste all that time bolting stuff together.

    Wear a nerf suit.

    --
    harper - HOT!

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "You guys aren't thinking this through. Hey, where's your other... BANG.
    " - Brian MacKenzie
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    harper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/43529

  3. I worked in a metal workshop for a vacation job, and when I had to bolt
    something to something I always had to use the next size up. So, if I
    had to bolt something with an M4, I used an 4.5mm drillbit. I'm not sure
    how this translates to inches, but just use something that comes close.
    Basically, if you just screw in the bolts nice 'n tight, nothing's going
    to be moving about.

    --
    Erant - I know how to change this title!

    Live free, prosper, and under my rule.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Erant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9986
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/43529

  4. you want to use a bigger bit since it pulls the top board down instead
    of just attaching them; that makes it a lot stronger.

    --
    carsonpalooza - www.oddtodd.com

    I'm jealous🙁
    I just wear bike shorts...* the tight kind*
    I think it really does help with performance.
    I like your hair. You look like my friend.
    Good luck finding a working pirate
    That site is making me drool.
    Edit... next time, post something like this in JC, and a string of
    question marks does not constitute a title.
    I was drooling over all those spools.
    -Dave aka fcwegnm0b

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    carsonpalooza's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10085
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/43529

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.