Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

drilling a Hed CX rim for drainage ?

Started by Doug Kaye · · Last activity · 2 posts · 476 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
9 September 2003
Last activity
10 September 2003
Original author
Doug Kaye
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
476
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Sunday's race featured a cloudburst during the bike leg of my wave.. The half-inch of water on the
    road was one thing, the water hazard we had to cross, 6" deep, on the way into T2 was another. After
    all this the rear Hed CX is noticeably heavier and sloshes when I pick it up. For some reason the
    front Zipp 440 appears to be unaffected. This is a tubular rim, so I guess I have no option other
    than to pull the tire off, let dry, and reglue: which is a bore. It appears that Rolfs, Shamals,
    etc, actually have a 1 or 2mm drain hole drilled through the rim below the braking surface. I'm a
    tad concerned about doing this drilling into the carbon rim though. Anyone tried this or have any
    other good ideas ?

  2. Call HED and ask them what to do. 651-653-0202

    Doug Kaye said:

    Sunday's race featured a cloudburst during the bike leg of my wave.. The half-inch of water on the
    road was one thing, the water hazard we had to cross, 6" deep, on the way into T2 was another.
    After all this the rear Hed CX is noticeably heavier and sloshes when I pick it up. For some
    reason the front Zipp 440 appears to be unaffected. This is a tubular rim, so I guess I have no
    option other than to pull the tire off, let dry, and reglue: which is a bore. It appears that
    Rolfs, Shamals, etc, actually have a 1 or 2mm drain hole drilled through the rim below the braking
    surface. I'm a tad concerned about doing this drilling into the carbon rim though. Anyone tried
    this or have any other good ideas ?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.