Drilling a Pista for a rear brake

Marc

Guest
I got a Pista that was WAY to small for me, but still loved it. I put
it up for sale. My girlfriend took it for a ride before it sold and
(much to my surprise) she was totally hooked, and decided that she
wanted it. (I'm so proud). Now we're a two-pista household.

Anyhow... she wants me to put a freewheel on the back for those
long-rides-home. But... no rear brake drilling on this frame. I'm not
convinced that having a front-brake only with the freewheel is a great
idea.

Question 1 -- Bianchi must have known that there would be a lot of
these bikes being used on the road. Why the heck not drill the rear?

Question 2 -- has anyone out there actually drilled a rear-brake mount
or otherwise put a rear brake on a pista? If so, any hints for someone
thinking of doing so? Even if that advice is "don't do it," I'd be
interested to hear your tales of joy or woe.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 04:52:41 -0800, Marc wrote:

> Anyhow... she wants me to put a freewheel on the back for those
> long-rides-home. But... no rear brake drilling on this frame. I'm not
> convinced that having a front-brake only with the freewheel is a great
> idea.

It's not. But you might ask her to consider, instead of a fixed/free rear
wheel, to try a fixed/fixed one instead. That way she can have a
bail-out lower gear for those long rides home w/o the second brake.
Doesn't help with downhills, though.

I would never want to depend on only one brake without a fixed gear.
Brake cables break, and if it does she could be up **** creek.

> Question 2 -- has anyone out there actually drilled a rear-brake mount
> or otherwise put a rear brake on a pista? If so, any hints for someone
> thinking of doing so? Even if that advice is "don't do it," I'd be
> interested to hear your tales of joy or woe.

I did it. I like having two brakes, even with the fixed/fixed. I just
drilled through the bridge. I had a bunch of old shaped washers,
shaped to fit a round rear bridge (from the days when all they did to hang
a rear brake on a cheap bike was just drill a hole). It has worked out
very well so far, for about 4-5 years. The rear brake only gets a limited
amount of force, since once too much is applied the wheel will lock.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but
_`\(,_ | what canst thou say? -- George Fox.
(_)/ (_) |

David L. Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 04:52:41 -0800, Marc wrote:
>
> > Anyhow... she wants me to put a freewheel on the back for those
> > long-rides-home. But... no rear brake drilling on this frame. I'm

not
> > convinced that having a front-brake only with the freewheel is a

great
> > idea.

> It's not. But you might ask her to consider, instead of a fixed/free

rear
> wheel, to try a fixed/fixed one instead. That way she can have a
> bail-out lower gear for those long rides home w/o the second brake.
> Doesn't help with downhills, though.

I agree. But considering that this is someone who was a smoker six
months ago, and never rode a bike since she was a kid, I'm figuring
that the freewheel is more of a "training wheel" ... I'd much rather
see another cog on there instead of a freewheel, but when your
girlfriend says "I love fixed gear" it has a way of making you willing
to do anything to make her happy!

> I would never want to depend on only one brake without a fixed gear.
> Brake cables break, and if it does she could be up **** creek.

Yes... that is such a good point!

> > Question 2 -- has anyone out there actually drilled a rear-brake

mount
> > or otherwise put a rear brake on a pista? If so, any hints for

someone
> > thinking of doing so? Even if that advice is "don't do it," I'd be
> > interested to hear your tales of joy or woe.

> I did it. I like having two brakes, even with the fixed/fixed. I

just
> drilled through the bridge. I had a bunch of old shaped washers,
> shaped to fit a round rear bridge (from the days when all they did to

hang
> a rear brake on a cheap bike was just drill a hole). It has worked

out
> very well so far, for about 4-5 years. The rear brake only gets a

limited
> amount of force, since once too much is applied the wheel will lock.

God... I'm really paranoid about doing this... but I guess that it's
not brain surgery. I wonder if I could build a bracket instead.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 06:09:54 -0800, Marc wrote:

> God... I'm really paranoid about doing this... but I guess that it's
> not brain surgery. I wonder if I could build a bracket instead.

Well, you might have to, depending on the location of the bridge. Track
frames, not being designed for rear brakes, sometimes have the bridge
located far too high for a brake.

A bracket would be simple enough, but it would then clamp onto the
seatstays, I guess. This is better than using the bridge???

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Become MicroSoft-free forever. Ask me how.
_`\(,_ |
(_)/ (_) |

On 17 Mar 2005 06:09:54 -0800, "Marc" <[email protected]> wrote:

>David L. Johnson wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 04:52:41 -0800, Marc wrote:
>>
>> > Anyhow... she wants me to put a freewheel on the back for those
>> > long-rides-home. But... no rear brake drilling on this frame. I'm

>not
>> > convinced that having a front-brake only with the freewheel is a

>great
>> > idea.

>> It's not. But you might ask her to consider, instead of a fixed/free

>rear
>> wheel, to try a fixed/fixed one instead. That way she can have a
>> bail-out lower gear for those long rides home w/o the second brake.
>> Doesn't help with downhills, though.

>I agree. But considering that this is someone who was a smoker six
>months ago, and never rode a bike since she was a kid, I'm figuring
>that the freewheel is more of a "training wheel" ... I'd much rather
>see another cog on there instead of a freewheel, but when your
>girlfriend says "I love fixed gear" it has a way of making you willing
>to do anything to make her happy!
>

>> I would never want to depend on only one brake without a fixed gear.
>> Brake cables break, and if it does she could be up **** creek.
>>

>Yes... that is such a good point!
>
>> > Question 2 -- has anyone out there actually drilled a rear-brake

>mount
>> > or otherwise put a rear brake on a pista? If so, any hints for

>someone
>> > thinking of doing so? Even if that advice is "don't do it," I'd be
>> > interested to hear your tales of joy or woe.

>> I did it. I like having two brakes, even with the fixed/fixed. I

>just
>> drilled through the bridge. I had a bunch of old shaped washers,
>> shaped to fit a round rear bridge (from the days when all they did to

>hang
>> a rear brake on a cheap bike was just drill a hole). It has worked

>out
>> very well so far, for about 4-5 years. The rear brake only gets a

>limited
>> amount of force, since once too much is applied the wheel will lock.

>God... I'm really paranoid about doing this... but I guess that it's
>not brain surgery. I wonder if I could build a bracket instead.

Have a frame builder either braze in a proper brake bridge or the block with a
hole in it as you find in the middle of a normal brake bridge.

Shouldn't be expensive. I suspect you'll spend more time finding this guy than
earning the money to pay him. Call LBSs and see who does frame work.

Ron

I use a single speed (freewheel) bike for commuting to work, trips
around town, etc. and only have a brake on the front (which I hope to
upgrade it to a mechanical disk
later this year.)

On my fixie I also have only a front brake and hope to upgrade it, too,
to a mechanical disk
later this year.

Lewis.
*********

While the pista is a fairly common bike there is no doubt that wacking a
hole on it will reduce its resale value at some future time.

"My girlfriend took it for a ride before it sold and
(much to my surprise) she was totally hooked, and decided that she
wanted it."

My significant annoyance has used a similar ploy and she has accumulated
4 bikes and a restoration projest still to be completed. Dammit she can
only ride one bike at a time. Why does she need more than one? ;-)

Keirin bikes cannot be drilled for brakes(Rules).
For training and road riding adapters are often used.
Check down the page in this album for a view.
http://homepage.mac.com/tomity/PhotoAlbum35.html

Sometimes these come up for sale on eBay.

It looks like a set of adapter plates would not be too much of a stretch
to fabricate.

Marcus

Marcus Coles wrote:
> While the pista is a fairly common bike there is no doubt that

wacking a
> hole on it will reduce its resale value at some future time.
>
> "My girlfriend took it for a ride before it sold and
> (much to my surprise) she was totally hooked, and decided that she
> wanted it."
>
> My significant annoyance has used a similar ploy and she has

accumulated
> 4 bikes and a restoration projest still to be completed. Dammit she

can
> only ride one bike at a time. Why does she need more than one? ;-)
>
> Keirin bikes cannot be drilled for brakes(Rules).
> For training and road riding adapters are often used.
> Check down the page in this album for a view.
> http://homepage.mac.com/tomity/PhotoAlbum35.html
>
> Sometimes these come up for sale on eBay.
>
> It looks like a set of adapter plates would not be too much of a

stretch
> to fabricate.
>

> Marcus

Marcus.... sometimes the answer is so obvious! The adapter plate
option is wonderful! Thank you. I will be fabricating away this
weekend!

Marc wrote:

> I got a Pista that was WAY to small for me, but still loved it. I put
> it up for sale. My girlfriend took it for a ride before it sold and
> (much to my surprise) she was totally hooked, and decided that she
> wanted it. (I'm so proud). Now we're a two-pista household.
>
> Anyhow... she wants me to put a freewheel on the back for those
> long-rides-home. But... no rear brake drilling on this frame. I'm not
> convinced that having a front-brake only with the freewheel is a great
> idea.
>
> Question 1 -- Bianchi must have known that there would be a lot of
> these bikes being used on the road. Why the heck not drill the rear?
>
> Question 2 -- has anyone out there actually drilled a rear-brake mount
> or otherwise put a rear brake on a pista? If so, any hints for someone
> thinking of doing so? Even if that advice is "don't do it," I'd be
> interested to hear your tales of joy or woe.

I hav eno problem with a front only in traffic. With one, do
check it regularly so you don't have a 'surprise' failure
Bicycle brakes are simple enough to be reliable with once a
month inspection.

Drillingthe rear is trivially easy _but_ you risk crushing a
plain tube bridge - easy does it when you mount the caliper
and use metal seating pads.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:
> Marc wrote:
>
> > I got a Pista that was WAY to small for me, but still loved it. I

put
> > it up for sale. My girlfriend took it for a ride before it sold

and
> > (much to my surprise) she was totally hooked, and decided that she
> > wanted it. (I'm so proud). Now we're a two-pista household.
> >
> > Anyhow... she wants me to put a freewheel on the back for those
> > long-rides-home. But... no rear brake drilling on this frame. I'm

not
> > convinced that having a front-brake only with the freewheel is a

great
> > idea.
> >
> > Question 1 -- Bianchi must have known that there would be a lot of
> > these bikes being used on the road. Why the heck not drill the

rear?

> > Question 2 -- has anyone out there actually drilled a rear-brake

mount
> > or otherwise put a rear brake on a pista? If so, any hints for

someone
> > thinking of doing so? Even if that advice is "don't do it," I'd be
> > interested to hear your tales of joy or woe.
> >

> I hav eno problem with a front only in traffic. With one, do
> check it regularly so you don't have a 'surprise' failure
> Bicycle brakes are simple enough to be reliable with once a
> month inspection.
>
> Drillingthe rear is trivially easy _but_ you risk crushing a
> plain tube bridge - easy does it when you mount the caliper
> and use metal seating pads.
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Yeah, I ride with just the front... but that's with a fixed rear wheel.
I'm gonna do a plate-mount on the rear for a rear brake for my
girlfriend's pista. That way I can take it off when she grows out of
the freewheel, and I wont have to risk any damage to the frame.