Drilling holes in stem - how worried?

In replacing my threaded fork with a threadless on my fixed gear, I was
planning on using a steel 1" Salsa stem I had in my parts box. It came
with a used fork I bought years ago.

- The good news is that I may not have to worry about using a cable
hanger with the canti's I am putting on, as the previous owner drilled
two holes in the stem. The hole on the topside is big enough for the
brake housing, the hole on the underside is big enough for the cable to
pass through.
- The bad news is that due to these holes my stem could crack off and I
could die because I was too cheap to buy another stem???

My gut tells me that the steel stem is still burly enough, and since
the most abuse the stem will take is going off of curbs now and then,
that I am probably in the clear. But my gut has also had me overtighten
derailler bolts, cut cable housing too short, etc etc.

Has anyone tried this, or put any thought into the safety of this?

Thanks,
Harrison

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
>In replacing my threaded fork with a threadless on my fixed gear, I was
>planning on using a steel 1" Salsa stem I had in my parts box. It came
>with a used fork I bought years ago.
>- The good news is that I may not have to worry about using a cable
>hanger with the canti's I am putting on, as the previous owner drilled
>two holes in the stem. The hole on the topside is big enough for the
>brake housing, the hole on the underside is big enough for the cable to
>pass through.
>- The bad news is that due to these holes my stem could crack off and I
>could die because I was too cheap to buy another stem???
>My gut tells me that the steel stem is still burly enough, and since
>the most abuse the stem will take is going off of curbs now and then,
>that I am probably in the clear. But my gut has also had me overtighten
>derailler bolts, cut cable housing too short, etc etc.
>Has anyone tried this, or put any thought into the safety of this?

If this was me I would put my weight on the stem to see if it was going to bend
right from the start. If it didn't bend, I would continue to use the stem. I
would check the holes to make sure any bare metal is painted. After I inserted
the cable, I would use some silicone caulk to seal up the top hole area so that
water does not collect in the stem. I would also inspect the area by the holes
on a regular basis. Steel will bend before it breaks, so you should not get a
sudden complete failure. Keep in mind this advice is worth what you paid for
it.
-------------
Alex

[email protected] wrote:
<<SNIP>>

> Has anyone tried this, or put any thought into the safety of this?
>
> Thanks,
> Harrison

I have seen a setup where a guy drilled holes into a quill stem so that
he could bolt homemade aerobars onto it.

I would not flirt with it, but I am a project manager, by trade; I
cannot afford optimism.

On the other hand, if you are in the U.S., it would not seem too hard
to find a jury that would place blame on everyone but yourself. : )

rsquared

On 26 Jan 2006 08:52:33 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>In replacing my threaded fork with a threadless on my fixed gear, I was
>planning on using a steel 1" Salsa stem I had in my parts box. It came
>with a used fork I bought years ago.
>
>- The good news is that I may not have to worry about using a cable
>hanger with the canti's I am putting on, as the previous owner drilled
>two holes in the stem. The hole on the topside is big enough for the
>brake housing, the hole on the underside is big enough for the cable to
>pass through.
>- The bad news is that due to these holes my stem could crack off and I
>could die because I was too cheap to buy another stem???
>
>My gut tells me that the steel stem is still burly enough, and since
>the most abuse the stem will take is going off of curbs now and then,
>that I am probably in the clear. But my gut has also had me overtighten
>derailler bolts, cut cable housing too short, etc etc.
>
>Has anyone tried this, or put any thought into the safety of this?

I have seen manufacturers use drilled holes in tubular steel stems for
cable routing without problems. If this stem was in use for a
significant period of time before you got it, and if the usage was at
least as strenuous as what you are likely to inflict on it, and if
it's not showing signs of failure now, then the chances are good that
it will be just fine. If it were my stem, I'd give it a good
inspection, watch it carefully for a while during continued use for
any signs of a crack starting from the holes, and not be overly
worried. Steel generally does not fail with the alarming suddenness
of aluminum...but *any* part may fail, even when properly made,
pristine, unmodified and undamaged. The bottom line is that you are
the only person who is both able to make the determination as to the
part's acceptability and responsible if that decision is wrong, so
it's really up to you to decide if you want to use it. I suspect that
I'd use it if it were mine, but as I haven't seen it, I can't say more
than that.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On 26 Jan 2006 08:52:33 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>In replacing my threaded fork with a threadless on my fixed gear, I was
>planning on using a steel 1" Salsa stem I had in my parts box. It came
>with a used fork I bought years ago.
>
>- The good news is that I may not have to worry about using a cable
>hanger with the canti's I am putting on, as the previous owner drilled
>two holes in the stem. The hole on the topside is big enough for the
>brake housing, the hole on the underside is big enough for the cable to
>pass through.
>- The bad news is that due to these holes my stem could crack off and I
>could die because I was too cheap to buy another stem???
>
>My gut tells me that the steel stem is still burly enough, and since
>the most abuse the stem will take is going off of curbs now and then,
>that I am probably in the clear. But my gut has also had me overtighten
>derailler bolts, cut cable housing too short, etc etc.
>
>Has anyone tried this, or put any thought into the safety of this?

'Cross riders have been drilling stems forever and mostly they don't crash and
die. At least not from breaking stems. So use the stem.

If you want to upgrade, the hot tip is to use a stem with a removable face and
clamp a cable hanger of the type that dangles from a seat bolt for the rear
canti onto a lower bolt. This gives you an adjuster and you can even use a
v-brake noodle to get a real clean cable run with aero levers.

Ron

[email protected] wrote:

>In replacing my threaded fork with a threadless on my fixed gear, I was
>planning on using a steel 1" Salsa stem I had in my parts box. It came
>with a used fork I bought years ago.
>
>- The good news is that I may not have to worry about using a cable
>hanger with the canti's I am putting on, as the previous owner drilled
>two holes in the stem. The hole on the topside is big enough for the
>brake housing, the hole on the underside is big enough for the cable to
>pass through.
>- The bad news is that due to these holes my stem could crack off and I
>could die because I was too cheap to buy another stem???
>
>My gut tells me that the steel stem is still burly enough, and since
>the most abuse the stem will take is going off of curbs now and then,
>that I am probably in the clear. But my gut has also had me overtighten
>derailler bolts, cut cable housing too short, etc etc.
>
>Has anyone tried this, or put any thought into the safety of this?

I wouldn't use it. If I was forced to ride with it, I'd certainly
want to check the stem VERY regularly. New stems are cheap enough
that it'd be one of the best investments you could possibly make - if
only for your peace of mind.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Further question: it seems like a
stem would be a much better cable stop than anything that fits in the
headset stack or clamps onto a stem bolt, as it's more rigid, and has
other reasons to be there anyway. Are there stem manufacturers that
make 1" threadless stems with predrilled cable stops?
Harrison

[email protected] wrote:

>Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Further question: it seems like a
>stem would be a much better cable stop than anything that fits in the
>headset stack or clamps onto a stem bolt, as it's more rigid, and has
>other reasons to be there anyway. Are there stem manufacturers that
>make 1" threadless stems with predrilled cable stops?

I haven't seen any of those recently (for a long time, actually)...
you might find some on a closeout table somewhere - or perhaps Ebay...

I did a quick check and found several models with cable thru-holes,
but all of 'em were threaded, not threadless. I don't recall ever
seeing a threadless stem drilled for a brake cable (since the vast
majority of bikes had switched to V-brakes prior to going threadless,
thus removing the need for the cable stop).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Mark Hickey wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Further question: it seems like a
>> stem would be a much better cable stop than anything that fits in the
>> headset stack or clamps onto a stem bolt, as it's more rigid, and has
>> other reasons to be there anyway. Are there stem manufacturers that
>> make 1" threadless stems with predrilled cable stops?

> I haven't seen any of those recently (for a long time, actually)...
> you might find some on a closeout table somewhere - or perhaps Ebay...
>
> I did a quick check and found several models with cable thru-holes,
> but all of 'em were threaded, not threadless. I don't recall ever
> seeing a threadless stem drilled for a brake cable (since the vast
> majority of bikes had switched to V-brakes prior to going threadless,
> thus removing the need for the cable stop).
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

Some riders at Paris-Roubaix last year drilled their threadless stem.
Not sure if it's a safe practice, I guess that if the hole is very small
it should not give problems.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/apr05/roubaix05/tech/?id=discovery-t-mobile/L1000229
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/apr05/roubaix05/tech/?id=discovery-t-mobile/L1000228

Francesco

Mark Hickey wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Further question: it seems like a
>> stem would be a much better cable stop than anything that fits in the
>> headset stack or clamps onto a stem bolt, as it's more rigid, and has
>> other reasons to be there anyway. Are there stem manufacturers that
>> make 1" threadless stems with predrilled cable stops?

> I haven't seen any of those recently (for a long time, actually)...
> you might find some on a closeout table somewhere - or perhaps Ebay...
>
> I did a quick check and found several models with cable thru-holes,
> but all of 'em were threaded, not threadless. I don't recall ever
> seeing a threadless stem drilled for a brake cable (since the vast
> majority of bikes had switched to V-brakes prior to going threadless,
> thus removing the need for the cable stop).
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

Some riders at Paris-Roubaix last year drilled their threadless stem.
Not sure if it's a safe practice, I guess that if the hole is very small
it should not give problems.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/apr05/roubaix05/tech/?id=discovery-t-mobile/L1000229
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/apr05/roubaix05/tech/?id=discovery-t-mobile/L1000228

Francesco

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 05:47:06 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]>
wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>
>>Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Further question: it seems like a
>>stem would be a much better cable stop than anything that fits in the
>>headset stack or clamps onto a stem bolt, as it's more rigid, and has
>>other reasons to be there anyway. Are there stem manufacturers that
>>make 1" threadless stems with predrilled cable stops?

>I haven't seen any of those recently (for a long time, actually)...
>you might find some on a closeout table somewhere - or perhaps Ebay...
>
>I did a quick check and found several models with cable thru-holes,
>but all of 'em were threaded, not threadless. I don't recall ever
>seeing a threadless stem drilled for a brake cable (since the vast
>majority of bikes had switched to V-brakes prior to going threadless,
>thus removing the need for the cable stop).

The 1 1/8" threadless stem that was originally fitted to my Miyata had
a brake cable stop for the cantis it came with. The bike has a
different fork, brakes, levers and stem now, but the old stem's around
here somewhere.
--

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 20:10:36 -0700, Mark Hickey wrote:

>>My gut tells me that the steel stem is still burly enough, and since
>>the most abuse the stem will take is going off of curbs now and then,
>>that I am probably in the clear. But my gut has also had me overtighten
>>derailler bolts, cut cable housing too short, etc etc.
>>
>>Has anyone tried this, or put any thought into the safety of this?

> I wouldn't use it. If I was forced to ride with it, I'd certainly
> want to check the stem VERY regularly. New stems are cheap enough
> that it'd be one of the best investments you could possibly make - if
> only for your peace of mind.

I don't see this as being as dangerous as all that. Since the stem is
steel, failure would not be the sudden snapping in half that happens with
aluminum. More likely you'd see any cracks developing before you were in
danger of a face plant. Inattention do a developing problem would
probably mean that the stem would buckle under you -- bending, but not
breaking off.

But, you know the value of free advice, so do what you think is right.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored
_`\(,_ | by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo
(_)/ (_) | Emerson

[email protected] wrote:
> In replacing my threaded fork with a threadless on my fixed gear, I was
> planning on using a steel 1" Salsa stem I had in my parts box. It came
> with a used fork I bought years ago.
>
> - The good news is that I may not have to worry about using a cable
> hanger with the canti's I am putting on, as the previous owner drilled
> two holes in the stem. The hole on the topside is big enough for the
> brake housing, the hole on the underside is big enough for the cable to
> pass through.
> - The bad news is that due to these holes my stem could crack off and I
> could die because I was too cheap to buy another stem???
>
> My gut tells me that the steel stem is still burly enough, and since
> the most abuse the stem will take is going off of curbs now and then,
> that I am probably in the clear. But my gut has also had me overtighten
> derailler bolts, cut cable housing too short, etc etc.
>
> Has anyone tried this, or put any thought into the safety of this?
>
> Thanks,
> Harrison

If your fork will accommodate it, Tektro makes an alloy bolt-on cable
stop that bolts on to the fender hole in the crown. My LBS ordered one
for me a few weeks ago for $10. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it on
Tektro's website, but the LBS knew what I was talking about.

Ken