Drilling shoes for arch cleat position

Wayne

Guest
I am considering using a retired pair of shoes and drilling holes for
a cleat position further back than my current shoes allow. Searching
the archives revealed this may be possible but I cannot find any
specifics.

Does anyone have any specific suggestions on what hardware to use in
the sole of the shoe to mount the cleats?

This is an experiment based on the following comments by Steve Hogg.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=2007/letters05-15

Wayne wrote:
> I am considering using a retired pair of shoes and drilling holes for
> a cleat position further back than my current shoes allow. Searching
> the archives revealed this may be possible but I cannot find any
> specifics.
>
> Does anyone have any specific suggestions on what hardware to use in
> the sole of the shoe to mount the cleats?
>
> This is an experiment based on the following comments by Steve Hogg.
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=2007/letters05-15

Check out the first photo on
http://home.comcast.net/~mandmlj/ShoeLugs/index.html

It shows hardware LOOK used to include with its pedals (and maybe still
does)

Mark J.

Wayne wrote:
> I am considering using a retired pair of shoes and drilling holes for
> a cleat position further back than my current shoes allow. Searching
> the archives revealed this may be possible but I cannot find any
> specifics.
>
> Does anyone have any specific suggestions on what hardware to use in
> the sole of the shoe to mount the cleats?
>
> This is an experiment based on the following comments by Steve Hogg.
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=2007/letters05-15

I assume you're going to use a pair of plastic-not leather-sole shoes
so here goes. First, get some T nuts without prongs from the hardware
store. You won't find 5mm so get some number 8s. Determine where you
want the cleats positioned, mark the holes and drill them for the T
nuts. Epoxy the nuts into the soles and Bob's your uncle. If the
flange on the T nut bothers your foot you may want to cut the insoles
for the flange. And you may have to shorten the threaded portion of
the T nut. I reccommend a Dremel with a cut off wheel.
Good luck.
Phil Brown