drink coffee?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Willbill, Mar 10, 2004.

  1. Willbill

    Willbill Guest

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-1032868,00.html

    <"A major study involving more than 14,000 people in
    Finland, which has the highest rate of coffee consumption in
    the world, has revealed that those who drink most have the
    lowest incidence of adult-onset or type 2 diabetes.

    When people drank three to four cups of coffee a day,
    their risk of developing diabetes fell by 29 per cent for
    women and 27 per cent for men.

    “Coffeeholics” who drank very large amounts of coffee —
    ten or more cups a day — were even less likely to suffer
    from the disease: such high consumption reduced the risk
    by 79 per cent for women and 55 per cent for men. ">

    bill t1 since '57

    Tags:

  2. bogus

    bogus Guest

    willbill <[email protected]> wrote:

    >http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-
    >1032868,00.html
    >
    ><"A major study involving more than 14,000 people in
    >Finland, which has the highest rate of coffee consumption
    >in the world, has revealed that those who drink most have
    >the lowest incidence of adult-onset or type 2 diabetes.
    >
    > When people drank three to four cups of coffee a day,
    > their risk of developing diabetes fell by 29 per cent
    > for women and 27 per cent for men.
    >
    > “Coffeeholics” who drank very large amounts of coffee —
    > ten or more cups a day — were even less likely to suffer
    > from the disease: such high consumption reduced the risk
    > by 79 per cent for women and 55 per cent for men. ">
    >
    >bill t1 since '57

    Of boy! Yet another useless study!

    Unfortunately Finland also has the highest type 1 ratio.
    Don't know if coffee has anything to do with it.

    I don't know how they established correlation between coffee
    drinking and diabetes. If it's just statistically here's a
    couple more statictics:

    "Finland has the largest reindeer population per Type 1
    diabetics. It is therefore probable that proximity to
    reindeers increases one's chances to get Type 1."

    "Finland has the largest wooden outdoor toilets per Type 1
    diabetics. It is therefore probable that shitting or
    pissing at an outdoor toilets increases one's chances to
    get Type 1."

    "Finland has the most decrepit old soviet Lada cars per Type
    1 diabetics. It is therefore probable that driving around in
    a cranky, rusty Lada increases one's chances to get Type 1."

    "Finland has the most useless studies in diabetes per Type 1
    diabetics. It is therefore probable that shelling taxpayer
    money to self-serving, non-important studies actually
    increases one's chances to get Type 1."

    ;)
    --------------------------
    To reply via email remove letter "G" from email address:
    [email protected]

  3. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "willbill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-
    > 1032868,00.html
    >
    > <"A major study involving more than 14,000 people in
    > Finland, which has the highest rate of coffee consumption
    > in the world, has revealed that those who drink most have
    > the lowest incidence of adult-onset or type 2 diabetes.
    >
    > When people drank three to four cups of coffee a day,
    > their risk of developing diabetes fell by 29 per cent
    > for women and 27 per cent for men.
    >
    > “Coffeeholics” who drank very large amounts of coffee —
    > ten or more cups a day — were even less likely to
    > suffer from the disease: such high consumption reduced
    > the risk by 79 per cent for women and 55 per cent for
    > men. ">

    Well, that's not the case for me! I used to drink coffe like
    mad before diabetes. Now I rarely drink it. For me, coffee
    and smoking go hand in hand. Gave up the smoking, and gave
    up the coffee too.

    --
    Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

  4. Maggie Davey

    Maggie Davey Guest

    willbill wrote:

    > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-
    > 1032868,00.html
    >
    > <"A major study involving more than 14,000 people in
    > Finland, which has the highest rate of coffee consumption
    > in the world, has revealed that those who drink most have
    > the lowest incidence of adult-onset or type 2 diabetes.
    >
    > When people drank three to four cups of coffee a day,
    > their risk of developing diabetes fell by 29 per cent
    > for women and 27 per cent for men.
    >
    > “Coffeeholics” who drank very large amounts of coffee —
    > ten or more cups a day — were even less likely to
    > suffer from the disease: such high consumption reduced
    > the risk by 79 per cent for women and 55 per cent for
    > men. ">

    What's the high blood pressure/heart disease rate?

    Maggie [who loves her coffee!]

    --
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life:
    music and cats." -- Albert Schweitzer

  5. Ozgirl

    Ozgirl Guest

    willbill wrote:

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-1032868,00.html

    > <"A major study involving more than 14,000 people in
    > Finland, which has the highest rate of coffee consumption
    > in the world, has revealed that those who drink most have
    > the lowest incidence of adult-onset or type 2 diabetes.

    The people I know who drink a lot of coffee, don't eat so
    much, i.e. when most of us are having a snack they are
    having just coffee, and they commonly have nothing but 2-3
    cups of coffee instead of breakfast. I have noticed my
    coffee drinking friends aren't overweight either.
    Coincidence?

  6. Ira Jamison

    Ira Jamison Guest

    I don't cuss but, why in the hell did I get T2? I love my real coffee.
    Besides chocolate, coffee is next in line for blood transfusion for me. Hee
    hee
    Could it be by chance that both of my parents were T2? Another study gone
    down the drain.
    Ira
    "123" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > willbill <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-
    > >1032868,00.html
    > >
    > ><"A major study involving more than 14,000 people in
    > >Finland, which has the highest rate of coffee consumption
    > >in the world, has revealed that those who drink most have
    > >the lowest incidence of adult-onset or type 2 diabetes.
    > >
    > > When people drank three to four cups of coffee a day,
    > > their risk of developing diabetes fell by 29 per cent
    > > for women and 27 per cent for men.
    > >
    > > "Coffeeholics" who drank very large amounts of coffee
    > > - ten or more cups a day - were even less likely to
    > > suffer from the disease: such high consumption
    > > reduced the risk by 79 per cent for women and 55 per
    > > cent for men. ">
    > >
    > >bill t1 since '57
    >

    > Of boy! Yet another useless study!
    >
    > Unfortunately Finland also has the highest type 1 ratio.
    > Don't know if
    coffee has
    > anything to do with it.
    >
    > I don't know how they established correlation between
    > coffee drinking and diabetes. If it's just statistically
    > here's a couple more statictics:
    >
    > "Finland has the largest reindeer population per Type 1
    > diabetics. It is therefore probable that proximity to
    > reindeers increases one's chances to
    get
    > Type 1."
    >
    > "Finland has the largest wooden outdoor toilets per Type 1
    > diabetics. It
    is
    > therefore probable that shitting or pissing at an
    > outdoor toilets
    increases one's
    > chances to get Type 1."
    >
    > "Finland has the most decrepit old soviet Lada cars per
    > Type 1 diabetics.
    It is
    > therefore probable that driving around in a cranky, rusty
    > Lada increases
    one's
    > chances to get Type 1."
    >
    > "Finland has the most useless studies in diabetes per Type
    > 1 diabetics. It
    is
    > therefore probable that shelling taxpayer money to self-
    > serving,
    non-important
    > studies actually increases one's chances to get Type 1."
    >
    > ;)
    > --------------------------
    > To reply via email remove letter "G" from email address:
    > [email protected]

  7. Willbill

    Willbill Guest

    123 wrote:

    > willbill wrote:

    >> www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-1032868,00.html
    >>
    >><"A major study involving more than 14,000 people in
    >>Finland, which has the highest rate of coffee
    >>consumption in the world, has revealed that those who
    >>drink most have the lowest incidence of adult-onset or
    >>type 2 diabetes. ...">
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    > Of boy! Yet another useless study!
    >
    > Unfortunately Finland also has the highest type 1 ratio.
    > Don't know if coffee has anything to do with it.

    <snip remaining nonsense on t1-coffee "relationship">

    you clearly need to improve your reading skills

    and maybe also your general knowledge about diabetes?

    the study only mentioned type-2 and not type-1

    even though i'm a type-1 (since i was a kid, and well before
    i started my love affair with coffee), i posted the cite
    because i suspect it will likely be of interest to some of
    the intelligent type-2s

    bill t1 since '57

  8. Jon Kaplan

    Jon Kaplan Guest

    123 wrote:

    > "Finland has the largest wooden outdoor toilets per Type 1
    > diabetics. It is therefore probable that shitting or
    > pissing at an outdoor toilets increases one's chances to
    > get Type 1."

    Didn't you know? Type 1 is contagious and you catch it off
    of toilet seats.

  9. Jon Kaplan

    Jon Kaplan Guest

    Julie Bove wrote:

    > "willbill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-
    > > 1032868,00.html
    > >
    > > <"A major study involving more than 14,000 people in
    > > Finland, which has the highest rate of coffee
    > > consumption in the world, has revealed that those who
    > > drink most have the lowest incidence of adult-onset or
    > > type 2 diabetes.
    > >
    > > When people drank three to four cups of coffee a day,
    > > their risk of developing diabetes fell by 29 per cent
    > > for women and 27 per cent for men.
    > >
    > > “Coffeeholics” who drank very large amounts of coffee
    > > — ten or more cups a day — were even less likely to
    > > suffer from the disease: such high consumption
    > > reduced the risk by 79 per cent for women and 55 per
    > > cent for men. ">
    >
    > Well, that's not the case for me! I used to drink coffe
    > like mad before diabetes. Now I rarely drink it. For me,
    > coffee and smoking go hand in hand. Gave up the smoking,
    > and gave up the coffee too.
    >
    > --
    > Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

    To steal a line from Mark Twain: Your problem, Ma'am, is
    that you've been neglecting your vices.

  10. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "Ozgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The people I know who drink a lot of coffee, don't eat so
    > much, i.e. when most of us are having a snack they are
    > having just coffee, and they commonly have nothing but 2-3
    > cups of coffee instead of breakfast. I have noticed my
    > coffee drinking friends aren't overweight either.
    > Coincidence?

    Are they taking their coffee black? Or putting lots of stuff
    in it? One of my friends used to rarely eat, but she drank a
    lot of coffee. She never drank it black though. She put a
    ton of sugar and cream in it. She also drank a lot of beer.
    The regular kind, not the light stuff. I think because of
    this, she was feeling filled up and didn't think she needed
    to eat. When she did eat, it was mostly sweets like cookies
    or pudding. After having to get dentures from too many
    rotted teeth, and being hospitalized more than once from
    caffeine overdose, she finally amended her ways. I haven't
    seen her for a few years because I no longer live in that
    area, but mutual friends have seen her and they say she
    looks a lot better now that she's eating more normally. She
    used to look like a skeleton. Not healthy at all.

    --
    Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

  11. W. Baker

    W. Baker Guest

    In alt.support.diabetes willbill <[email protected]> wrote:

    : 123 wrote:

    : > willbill wrote:

    : >> www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-1032868,00.html
    : >>
    : >><"A major study involving more than 14,000 people in
    : >>Finland, which has the highest rate of coffee
    : >>consumption in the world, has revealed that those who
    : >>drink most have the lowest incidence of adult-onset or
    : >>type 2 diabetes. ...">
    : ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    : > Of boy! Yet another useless study!
    : >
    : > Unfortunately Finland also has the highest type 1 ratio.
    : > Don't know if coffee has anything to do with it.

    : <snip remaining nonsense on t1-coffee "relationship">

    : you clearly need to improve your reading skills

    : and maybe also your general knowledge about diabetes?

    : the study only mentioned type-2 and not type-1

    : even though i'm a type-1 (since i was a kid, and well
    : before i started my love affair with coffee), i posted the
    : cite because i suspect it will likely be of interest to
    : some of the intelligent type-2s

    : bill t1 since '57

    All I can say, as a type 2, is that I was a very heavy
    coffee drinker before my diagnoses. I only had to cut back
    after I got a small ulcer after my diagnosis and caffine was
    one of the things I stopped using an dhave scontinued to not
    use since. Currently I use caffine kind of like an
    occasional drius if i have to be very unsleepy, like long
    auto rips.

    Wendy

  12. Willbill

    Willbill Guest

    Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:07:15 GMT, Jon Kaplan wrote:

    > Julie Bove wrote:

    >> Well, that's not the case for me! I used to drink coffe
    >> like mad before diabetes. Now I rarely drink it. For me,
    >> coffee and smoking go hand in hand. Gave up the smoking,
    >> and gave up the coffee too.

    > To steal a line from Mark Twain:
    >
    > Your problem, Ma'am, is that you've been neglecting
    > your vices.

    another quote:

    <"Coffee... Black as hell, strong as death, sweet as love.">

    Turkish proverb

    bill

  13. Wilson

    Wilson Guest

    willbill <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-
    > 1032868,00.html
    >
    > <"A major study involving more than 14,000 people in
    > Finland, which has the highest rate of coffee consumption
    > in the world, has revealed that those who drink most have
    > the lowest incidence of adult-onset or type 2 diabetes.

    Dumb and useless study.

    It's possible the Finnish do something *else* right.
    Virtually every other country than America gets more
    exercise. Fast-food may not be as prevalent in Finland.

    But whatever else they do right I'm sure coffee has nothing
    to do with
    it.

  14. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    /

    "wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > willbill <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > It's possible the Finnish do something *else* right.
    > Virtually every other country than America gets more
    > exercise. Fast-food may not be as prevalent in Finland.
    >
    > But whatever else they do right I'm sure coffee has
    > nothing to do with
    > it.

    I saw a show about Finnish people some years back on PBS.
    Things might have changed since then, but they were a very
    somber people. Rarely laughed or smiled.

    --
    Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove

  15. Jenny

    Jenny Guest

    Any person who is able to drink 10 cups of coffee
    without getting terminally wired has a very low level of
    cortisol hormones.

    Diabetes correlates with higher levels of cortisol hormones.

    So this is like saying that "eating caviar makes you rich"
    rather than "eating caviar is a characteristic of people who
    are rich."

    People who can slug down 10 cups of coffee probably aren't
    going to get diabetes, but if you are going to get diabetes
    and you try to drink 10 cups of coffee you are going to feel
    so lousy that you probably won't do it again.

    -- Jenny - Low Carbing for 4 years. At goal for weight.
    Type 2 diabetes, hba1c 5.2. Cut the carbs to respond to my
    email address!

    Low carb facts and figures, my weight-loss photos, tips,
    recipes, strategies for dealing with diabetes and more at
    http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/

    Looking for help controlling your blood sugar? Visit http://www.alt-support-
    diabetes.org/Newly%20Diagnosed.htm

    "wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > willbill <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-
    > > 1032868,00.html
    > >
    > > <"A major study involving more than 14,000 people in
    > > Finland, which has the highest rate of coffee
    > > consumption in the world, has revealed that those who
    > > drink most have the lowest incidence of adult-onset or
    > > type 2 diabetes.
    >
    > Dumb and useless study.
    >
    > It's possible the Finnish do something *else* right.
    > Virtually every other country than America gets more
    > exercise. Fast-food may not be as prevalent in Finland.
    >
    > But whatever else they do right I'm sure coffee has
    > nothing to do with
    > it.

  16. Muscle Man

    Muscle Man Guest

    On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:46:01 GMT, "Ira Jamison"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I don't cuss but, why in the hell did I get T2? I love my
    >real coffee. Besides chocolate, coffee is next in line for
    >blood transfusion for me. Hee hee Could it be by chance
    >that both of my parents were T2? Another study gone down
    >the drain.

    most of the type 2's I've met slowed down and got it.
    IUsually desk jobs and obesity.

    We used to live in an agricultural society where people
    worked msot of the day and ate high fat diets to carry them
    thru as the fat wore or released calories slowly into their
    sysems during the day. I'll bet now people work inside and
    eat more but do less physially, they get
    t2.

  17. Muscle Man