Drink driver loses licence for three years

EuanB

New Member
Jan 11, 2005
School crash driver escapes jail sentence

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/school-crash-driver-escapes-jail-sentence/2006/02/10/1139465830415.html

February 10, 2006 - 12:32PM
A drunk driver who injured five children when he drove into a wall at a Melbourne primary school has been handed a three-year suspended jail sentence.

Sudanese refugee Taban Gany, 32, of Doveton, had a blood alcohol reading of .175 - more than three times the legal limit - when his car smashed into the brick wall at Dandenong West Primary School on May 19, 2005.

The bricks crushed a six-year-old boy, whose right foot had to be amputated while an 11-year-old girl received multiple leg fractures.

Another 11-year-old girl needed 35 stitches in her head.

Gany pleaded guilty at the Victorian County Court to four counts of negligently causing serious injury, one count of drink driving and one count of reckless conduct endangering life.

Today, Judge Peter Gebhardt sentenced him to three years jail, suspended for three years.

He also cancelled Gany's licence and banned him from applying for another for three years.

EuanB said:
School crash driver escapes jail sentence

Questions were also raised about how he obtained a license - apparently Gany also mentioned he was perplexed/concerned at the lack of instruction he was given via VicRoads/the driving school?

cfsmtb said:
Questions were also raised about how he obtained a license - apparently Gany also mentioned he was perplexed/concerned at the lack of instruction he was given via VicRoads/the driving school?

I don't know anything about that, I just know what I read in the paper (in other words, not much!)

Three year loss of licence though, that's a good outcome I reckon.

EuanB wrote:
> cfsmtb Wrote:
>
>>Questions were also raised about how he obtained a license - apparently
>>Gany also mentioned he was perplexed/concerned at the lack of
>>instruction he was given via VicRoads/the driving school?

> I don't know anything about that, I just know what I read in the paper
> (in other words, not much!)
>
> Three year loss of licence though, that's a good outcome I reckon.

I thought he was already unlicensed at the time of the crash (or
suspended) so would wonder what impact taking it away from him would have.

DaveB

In article <[email protected]>,
EuanB <[email protected]> wrote:

> SCHOOL CRASH DRIVER ESCAPES JAIL SENTENCE
>

> http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/school-crash-driver-escapes-jail-senten
> ce/2006/02/10/1139465830415.html
>
> February 10, 2006 - 12:32PM
> A drunk driver who injured five children when he drove into a wall
> at a Melbourne primary school has been handed a three-year suspended
> jail sentence.

(bits snipped)

> He also cancelled Gany's licence and banned him from applying for
> another for three years.

News like this makes my blood boil.
Anyone that ****** could not be under the misapprehension that they were
capable of driving. Therefore, this is an act of deliberate law-breaking
and should have a custodial sentence. I cannot conceive of any reason
that his sentence was wholly suspended.
It probably will not make too much difference to him because he is just
as likely to be driving without a licence for the next three years. The
odds of getting caught are pretty slim until he has another crash.
That has ruined my day.
rgds,
Darryl

"EuanB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> SCHOOL CRASH DRIVER ESCAPES JAIL SENTENCE
>

> http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...s-jail-sentence/2006/02/10/1139465830415.html
>
> February 10, 2006 - 12:32PM
> A drunk driver who injured five children when he drove into a wall
> at a Melbourne primary school has been handed a three-year suspended
> jail sentence.
>
> Sudanese refugee Taban Gany, 32, of Doveton, had a blood alcohol
> reading of .175 - more than three times the legal limit - when his car
> smashed into the brick wall at Dandenong West Primary School on May 19,
> 2005.
>
> The bricks crushed a six-year-old boy, whose right foot had to be
> amputated while an 11-year-old girl received multiple leg fractures.
>
> Another 11-year-old girl needed 35 stitches in her head.
>
> Gany pleaded guilty at the Victorian County Court to four counts of
> negligently causing serious injury, one count of drink driving and one
> count of reckless conduct endangering life.
>
> Today, Judge Peter Gebhardt sentenced him to three years jail,
> suspended for three years.
>
> He also cancelled Gany's licence and banned him from applying for
> another for three years.
>

> --
> EuanB

The laws and judicial system in this country is a farce!! 3 years
suspension for drink driving is so **** weak, meanwhile a little 6 yr old
boy will have the absence of a foot, lifestyle hindering,loss of opportunity
for the next 70+ years......doesn't seem right does it!

This man deserves time behind bars out of society's way so he can reflect on
what he has done and the pain and suffering to 2 innocent people he has
caused. No less than 5 yrs please or would this sentence be politically
incorrect!!
DJ

....and insurance will pay the personal damages, insulating the
perpetrator from the consequences.

"DJ" <[email protected]> writes:

> "EuanB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> SCHOOL CRASH DRIVER ESCAPES JAIL SENTENCE
>>

>> http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...s-jail-sentence/2006/02/10/1139465830415.html
>>
>> February 10, 2006 - 12:32PM
>> A drunk driver who injured five children when he drove into a wall
>> at a Melbourne primary school has been handed a three-year suspended
>> jail sentence.
>>
>> Sudanese refugee Taban Gany, 32, of Doveton, had a blood alcohol
>> reading of .175 - more than three times the legal limit - when his car
>> smashed into the brick wall at Dandenong West Primary School on May 19,
>> 2005.
>>
>> The bricks crushed a six-year-old boy, whose right foot had to be
>> amputated while an 11-year-old girl received multiple leg fractures.
>>
>> Another 11-year-old girl needed 35 stitches in her head.
>>
>> Gany pleaded guilty at the Victorian County Court to four counts of
>> negligently causing serious injury, one count of drink driving and one
>> count of reckless conduct endangering life.
>>
>> Today, Judge Peter Gebhardt sentenced him to three years jail,
>> suspended for three years.
>>
>> He also cancelled Gany's licence and banned him from applying for
>> another for three years.
>>

>> --
>> EuanB

> The laws and judicial system in this country is a farce!! 3 years
> suspension for drink driving is so **** weak, meanwhile a little 6 yr old
> boy will have the absence of a foot, lifestyle hindering,loss of opportunity
> for the next 70+ years......doesn't seem right does it!

To be fair it's a much harsher sentence than Eugene McGee recieved and
that ****** actively tried to avoid accountability for his actions.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 03:02:42 -0800, Donga wrote:

> ...and insurance will pay the personal damages, insulating the perpetrator
> from the consequences.

When he's copped to drink driving? Not bloody likely, that's Insurance Co
Cop Out #1.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
Brooker's Law: "The wackier the project, the easier it is to fund."

On 2006-02-10, EuanB (aka Bruce)

> SCHOOL CRASH DRIVER ESCAPES JAIL SENTENCE
>

> http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...s-jail-sentence/2006/02/10/1139465830415.html

Yup, saw that. It's not just cyclists then.

Incidentally, I saw that in the MX rag, since I was taking a train to
a pub tonight. And a whole bunch of replies to Warrick of Rowville.

But I am too lazy to go into the old office, find that silly windows
machine, and scan.

Man this place is a mess. Someone should really unpack my boxes.

--
TimC
I read [.doc files] with "rm". All you lose is the microsoft-specific

Lengthy article in todays Age, I suggest you read this before further discussion.

Crash of cultures
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/crash-of-cultures/2006/01/13/1137118967037.html

Sabi Mashid shows off his new artificial leg.
Photo: Simon O'Dwyer

When a drink-driver careered through a Dandenong schoolyard, the whole community felt pain, writes Simon Mann.

When Taban Gany left his home in Sudan in 1995, he did so on foot, joining a throng that made its way from war-torn points of Africa to the refugee camps of Kenya. When he finally stopped walking, 600 kilometres later, the young man was in Kakuma, in Kenya's north.

Gany was then sent to Dadaab, a cluster of camps in the south-east of the country teeming with more than 100,000 people.

There, near-illiterate and seeking sanctuary from trauma that included the torture-murder of his Christian pastor father and the disintegration of his family, he remained for nine years - until he was handed a ticket to Australia.

Sabiullah Mashid, 7, was born when Afghanistan's ruling Taliban were at the height of their power. His family had taken flight to Pakistan but when his schoolteacher mother was widowed they, too, sought refuge in Australia.

Sabi's schoolmate, 11-year-old Medina Hubanic, who loved dancing and netball, escaped with her family from the aftermath of civil war in Bosnia.

Three lives, each person the product of a broken world, were unwittingly on collision course in Dandenong, where their dislocated histories reached a juncture last May that shattered a community, left 32-year-old Gany facing prison and Sabi Mashid sentenced to permanent disability.

(more in article)