Drink This?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Joshua Goldberg, Apr 11, 2003.

  1. Question for a friend. This (younger) female friend had a "brilliant" idea (aren't they all) and
    has sought my wisdom (mistake) and I don't want to steer the person wrong...as I have made more
    than a few bad calls before (re: home computers and pocket calculators will NEVER catch on, so
    don't invest in those toys...whoops). Anyway her idea (Summer job idea) was to sell Icy Cold
    "Bottled Water and Fresh?? Lemonade" beside a popular Bike Path. My 1st thought was "Gatorade"
    would sell better for Mtb and Performance cyclists. That when I ride I like a bottle of cold
    Perrier, a friend said he prefers a glass of tap water...drinks half and pours other half over his
    head (the guy is just plain weird).

    Anyway the weekend question would be: when on a bike path (summer/heat) and you encounter
    someone flogging Icy Cold liquid refreshments a) would you stop to buy and b) what would you
    (prefer) to drink??

    as for Bent content, her plan is to raise enough $ to buy a trike

    P.S. keep it clean, she wants a printout of any replies

    TIA

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    I ride in the heat of the day and in Coastal SC. My typical riding conditions are near 100F and 100
    RH for three hours.

    I do not use electrolyte replacements, depending instead on a proper diet and plentiful water.

    I have never bought refreshments from 'roadside stands' fearing uncertain quality and resenting the
    profits they might make.

    In a word, my answers are a)no and b)cool - not cold -water.

    news:p[email protected]...
    > Question for a friend. This (younger) female friend had a "brilliant" idea (aren't they all) and
    > has sought my wisdom (mistake) and I don't want to steer the person wrong...as I have made more
    > than a few bad calls before (re: home
    computers
    > and pocket calculators will NEVER catch on, so don't invest in those toys...whoops). Anyway her
    > idea (Summer job idea) was to sell Icy Cold "Bottled Water and Fresh?? Lemonade" beside a popular
    > Bike Path. My 1st thought was "Gatorade" would sell better for Mtb and Performance cyclists. That
    > when I ride I like a bottle of cold Perrier, a friend said
    he
    > prefers a glass of tap water...drinks half and pours other half over his head (the guy is just
    > plain weird).
    >
    > Anyway the weekend question would be: when on a bike path (summer/heat)
    and
    > you encounter someone flogging Icy Cold liquid refreshments a) would you stop to buy and b) what
    > would you (prefer) to drink??
    >
    > as for Bent content, her plan is to raise enough $ to buy a trike
    >
    > P.S. keep it clean, she wants a printout of any replies
    >
    > TIA

  3. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    Will she give you $1,000 if she cannot make the lemonade by a certain time?

    ROTFL...sorry, I could not resist.

    Crazy Fridays!

    Derek

    In <[email protected]> Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > Question for a friend. This (younger) female friend had a "brilliant" idea (aren't they all) and
    > has sought my wisdom (mistake) and I don't want to steer the person wrong...as I have made more
    > than a few bad calls before (re: home computers and pocket calculators will NEVER catch on, so
    > don't invest in those toys...whoops). Anyway her idea (Summer job idea) was to sell Icy Cold
    > "Bottled Water and Fresh?? Lemonade" beside a popular Bike Path. My 1st thought was "Gatorade"
    > would sell better for Mtb and Performance cyclists. That when I ride I like a bottle of cold
    > Perrier, a friend said he prefers a glass of tap water...drinks half and pours other half over his
    > head (the guy is just plain weird).
    >
    > Anyway the weekend question would be: when on a bike path (summer/heat) and you encounter
    > someone flogging Icy Cold liquid refreshments a) would you stop to buy and b) what would you
    > (prefer) to drink??
    >
    > as for Bent content, her plan is to raise enough $ to buy a trike
    >
    > P.S. keep it clean, she wants a printout of any replies
    >
    > TIA

  4. I would very seldom need water, because I wouldn't rely on the seller being there. I just bring what
    i need. If I ran dry, I'd prefer tapwater (i'm cheap).

    news:p[email protected]...
    > Question for a friend. This (younger) female friend had a "brilliant" idea (aren't they all) and
    > has sought my wisdom (mistake) and I don't want to steer the person wrong...as I have made more
    > than a few bad calls before (re: home
    computers
    > and pocket calculators will NEVER catch on, so don't invest in those toys...whoops). Anyway her
    > idea (Summer job idea) was to sell Icy Cold "Bottled Water and Fresh?? Lemonade" beside a popular
    > Bike Path. My 1st thought was "Gatorade" would sell better for Mtb and Performance cyclists. That
    > when I ride I like a bottle of cold Perrier, a friend said
    he
    > prefers a glass of tap water...drinks half and pours other half over his head (the guy is just
    > plain weird).
    >
    > Anyway the weekend question would be: when on a bike path (summer/heat)
    and
    > you encounter someone flogging Icy Cold liquid refreshments a) would you stop to buy and b) what
    > would you (prefer) to drink??
    >
    > as for Bent content, her plan is to raise enough $ to buy a trike
    >
    > P.S. keep it clean, she wants a printout of any replies
    >
    > TIA

  5. I have heard & read that simple electrolyte loaded drinks like Gatorade really don't get assimilated
    for more than 1/2 hour, so drinking water over fairly short distances and/or low effort levels may
    be just as effective. However, if anticipating longer periods (greater than 1 hour) of sweaty
    exertion, you should use liquirds which will replace lost electrolytes.

    However, that doesn't really answer the burning question of what to sell along a bike path. From my
    many years of experience on the RAGBRAI tour, I'd say "beer." Seriously though, I'd suggest selling
    both Gatorade and bottled water. My interest in buying is dictated by the ride. On 80 mile rides at
    80+ degrees (RAGBRAI), I would probably consume 4 or 5 20 oz bottles of Gatorade plus water during
    the day. For short (1 hr) rides, I just pack a little water in my bottles and not buy electrolytes.

    "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I ride in the heat of the day and in Coastal SC. My typical riding conditions are near 100F and
    > 100 RH for three hours.
    >
    > I do not use electrolyte replacements, depending instead on a proper diet and plentiful water.
    >
    > I have never bought refreshments from 'roadside stands' fearing uncertain quality and resenting
    > the profits they might make.
    >
    > In a word, my answers are a)no and b)cool - not cold -water.
    >

    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > Question for a friend. This (younger) female friend had a "brilliant" idea (aren't they all)
    and
    > > has sought my wisdom (mistake) and I don't want to steer the person wrong...as I have made more
    > > than a few bad calls before (re: home
    > computers
    > > and pocket calculators will NEVER catch on, so don't invest in those toys...whoops). Anyway her
    > > idea (Summer job idea) was to sell Icy Cold "Bottled Water
    and
    > > Fresh?? Lemonade" beside a popular Bike Path. My 1st thought was "Gatorade" would sell better
    > > for Mtb and Performance cyclists. That when I ride I like a bottle of cold Perrier, a friend
    said
    > he
    > > prefers a glass of tap water...drinks half and pours other half over his head (the guy is just
    > > plain weird).
    > >
    > > Anyway the weekend question would be: when on a bike path (summer/heat)
    > and
    > > you encounter someone flogging Icy Cold liquid refreshments a) would you stop to buy and b) what
    > > would you (prefer) to drink??
    > >
    > > as for Bent content, her plan is to raise enough $ to buy a trike
    > >
    > > P.S. keep it clean, she wants a printout of any replies
    > >
    > > TIA

  6. Ben

    Ben New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    As others have said, I seldom drink anything but water on a long ride (though I might have a Gatorade or other electrolyte replacement drink at mid-day and at evening on a long ride).

    IF I did buy something along the way, I would be more likely to buy something pre-bottled than in a cup, just because of concerns about quality, etc.

    But, bikers are notoriously cheap . . . except when it comes to their gear. So, unless your friend can get a REALLY good deal on bottled water and Gatorade, my guess is that she'll have to sell fluids for nearly a decade to make enough to buy a recumbent.

    I hope I'm wrong,
    Ben

  7. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    In south FLorida a few years back, hot dog carts staffed by bikini-clad ladies were very
    popular, and very busy. The hot dogs were BAD, Sabrett I think they were called. But business
    was always brisk. So, I'd suggest a menu of both water and sports drinks, proferred by a
    bikini-clad sales person.

    news:p[email protected]...
    > Question for a friend. This (younger) female friend had a "brilliant" idea (aren't they all) and
    > has sought my wisdom (mistake) and I don't want to steer the person wrong...as I have made more
    > than a few bad calls before (re: home
    computers
    > and pocket calculators will NEVER catch on, so don't invest in those toys...whoops). Anyway her
    > idea (Summer job idea) was to sell Icy Cold "Bottled Water and Fresh?? Lemonade" beside a popular
    > Bike Path. My 1st thought was "Gatorade" would sell better for Mtb and Performance cyclists. That
    > when I ride I like a bottle of cold Perrier, a friend said
    he
    > prefers a glass of tap water...drinks half and pours other half over his head (the guy is just
    > plain weird).
    >
    > Anyway the weekend question would be: when on a bike path (summer/heat)
    and
    > you encounter someone flogging Icy Cold liquid refreshments a) would you stop to buy and b) what
    > would you (prefer) to drink??
    >
    > as for Bent content, her plan is to raise enough $ to buy a trike
    >
    > P.S. keep it clean, she wants a printout of any replies
    >
    > TIA

  8. Derek you Roll On The Floor Laughing easily eh

    I told this woman that perhaps a better way to make summer $ would be to provide a table and give
    full body massages beside the Bike Path for stressed and weary riders....she prefers the Cold
    Berverage idea.
    -----------------------------------
    Side Note: I still (cannot) see Calfee introducing a Commercial Bent, cannot see what incentive
    Calfee would have to risk their reputation as a builder of expensive DF C.F. frames to intro a bent.
    It just does not seem like a good marriage between Fast Freddy and Calfee. IF the bent came out as
    an Easy Racer product it might sell...but a Calfee?
    -----------------------------

    "Derek Swift" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Will she give you $1,000 if she cannot make the lemonade by a certain time?
    >
    > ROTFL...sorry, I could not resist.
    >
    > Crazy Fridays!
    >
    > Derek
    >

    > In <[email protected]> Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > > Question for a friend. This (younger) female friend had a "brilliant" idea (aren't they all) and
    > > has sought my wisdom (mistake) and I don't want to steer the person wrong...as I have made more
    > > than a few bad calls before (re: home computers and pocket calculators will NEVER catch on, so
    > > don't invest in those toys...whoops). Anyway her idea (Summer job idea) was to sell Icy Cold
    > > "Bottled Water and Fresh?? Lemonade" beside a popular Bike Path. My 1st thought was "Gatorade"
    > > would sell better for Mtb and Performance cyclists. That when I ride I like a bottle of cold
    > > Perrier, a friend said he prefers a glass of tap water...drinks half and pours other half over
    > > his head (the guy is just plain weird).
    > >
    > > Anyway the weekend question would be: when on a bike path (summer/heat) and you encounter
    > > someone flogging Icy Cold liquid refreshments a) would you stop to buy and b) what would you
    > > (prefer) to drink??
    > >
    > > as for Bent content, her plan is to raise enough $ to buy a trike
    > >
    > > P.S. keep it clean, she wants a printout of any replies
    > >
    > > TIA

  9. Too bad-----I had all sorts of great suggestions-----then you said, "keep it clean" and my mind
    immediately plunged into that dark abyss from which nothing emerges fit for polite company.

    But, actually, she'd make more money selling bicycle parts-----patches, tubes, cables, cheap
    but nice-looking pumps and a line of reflectors and blinking taillights. All the things that
    so many people need on the path, but left behind. She could also get good at making quick
    tire repairs and replacing broken spokes and those services could be popular. Give credit to
    those that have no pockets and they usually mail you the money plus a big tip. No reason to
    not add a few drinks, protein bars and fresh fruit to the selection. If the Police Bike
    Patrol comes by and asks about peddler's licences, bribe them with some snacks ( keep a few
    donuts just for them).

    Steve McDonald

  10. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    I've seen a pushcart parked next to Minuteman Rail Trail in Lexington MA. Not in the center of town,
    where there are lots of stores & restaurants, but about a mile east, where there aren't any
    refreshments. I haven't stopped, because I carry all the water I need.

    The people who use rail trails tend not to be the 80-miler fanatics who carry Camelbaks. They are
    mostly weekend recreational couples doing 15 miles, parents pushing strollers, families on an outing
    with the youngsters, and pedestrians. They would welcome simple cold drinks. But about that lemonade
    -- use bottled drinks only. Too many variables and might be not as safe, to have an open pitcher.
    Plastic bottles. She should check if she needs a permit for this activity. Sales tax collection.
    Local regs.

    Tell your friend to spend part of a hot Sunday doing a census of who uses

    etc.

    Tell her also that she'll do better with her wares in a cargo bike or a bike trailer -- bikers don't
    like feeling exploited by motorized merchants.

    She should plan on a consistent place and time; and she should plan on doing it every weekend during
    the summer. Her customers need to feel that this stop is reliable.

    And finally, tell her that her signs must be really large -- readable from 300 or more ft. away, in
    both directions.

    C.C.

    > From: "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]>

    > I ride in the heat of the day and in Coastal SC. My typical riding conditions are near 100F and
    > 100 RH for three hours.
    >
    > I do not use electrolyte replacements, depending instead on a proper diet and plentiful water.
    >
    > I have never bought refreshments from 'roadside stands' fearing uncertain quality and resenting
    > the profits they might make.
    >
    > In a word, my answers are a)no and b)cool - not cold -water.
    >

    >> This (younger) female friend
    >
    >> Anyway her idea (Summer job idea) was to sell Icy Cold "Bottled Water and Fresh?? Lemonade"
    >> beside a popular Bike Path.
    >
    >> you encounter someone flogging Icy Cold liquid refreshments a) would you stop to buy and b) what
    >> would you (prefer) to drink??

  11. Last year 2 guys (early 20's) drove their car to a Bike Path here in Toronto and made $2800.00 in
    one afternoon selling 500 ml. bottles of Spring Water out of trash cans filled with ice. It also
    happened to be Indy Car weekend, so 90% of their customers were there for the car race and 10% were
    cyclists. According to the Toronto Cycling Association, there are slightly over 1.0 million cyclists
    in Toronto.
    "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > > Question for a friend. This (younger) female friend had a "brilliant" idea (aren't they all)
    > > and has sought my wisdom (mistake) and I don't want to steer the person wrong...as I have made
    > > more than a few bad calls before (re: home computers and pocket calculators will NEVER
    catch
    > > on, so don't invest in those toys...whoops). Anyway her idea (Summer
    job
    > > idea) was to sell Icy Cold "Bottled Water and Fresh?? Lemonade" beside
    > > popular Bike Path. My 1st thought was "Gatorade" would sell better for Mtb and Performance
    > > cyclists. That when I ride I like a bottle of cold Perrier, a friend said he prefers a glass
    > > of tap water...drinks half
    and
    > > pours other half over his head (the guy is just plain weird). Anyway the weekend question
    > > would be: when on a bike path
    (summer/heat)
    > > and you encounter someone flogging Icy Cold liquid refreshments a)
    would
    > > you stop to buy and b) what would you (prefer) to drink?? as for Bent content, her plan is to
    > > raise enough $ to buy a trike
    > > P.S. keep it clean, she wants a printout of any replies TIA
    >
    > As others have said, I seldom drink anything but water on a long ride (though I might have a
    > Gatorade or other electrolyte replacement drink at mid-day and at evening on a long ride).
    >
    > IF I did buy something along the way, I would be more likely to buy something pre-bottled than in
    > a cup, just because of concerns about quality, etc.
    >
    > But, bikers are notoriously cheap . . . except when it comes to their gear. So, unless your friend
    > can get a REALLY good deal on bottled water and Gatorade, my guess is that she'll have to sell
    > fluids for nearly a decade to make enough to buy a recumbent.
    >
    > I hope I'm wrong, Ben

  12. Thanx Carol Some suggestions there I'd never have thought about. When she first mentioned her idea
    to me all I thought about was Linus and Lucy from the Peanuts comic strip...big sign "Lemonade" and
    small sign...
    Psychiatric Advice. The location she picked is totally weird, it has about 40 restaurants and
    sidewalk cafe's on one side of the path and nothing on her chosen side...but to access the 40
    restaurants and sidewalk cafe's, you have to pay an $11.00 "Admission Fee" and park your bike 1st.
    ------------------------------
    "Carol Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BABC4BFA.4993C%[email protected]...
    > I've seen a pushcart parked next to Minuteman Rail Trail in Lexington MA. Not in the center of
    > town, where there are lots of stores & restaurants,
    but
    > about a mile east, where there aren't any refreshments. I haven't
    stopped,
    > because I carry all the water I need.
    >
    > The people who use rail trails tend not to be the 80-miler fanatics who carry Camelbaks. They are
    > mostly weekend recreational couples doing 15 miles, parents pushing strollers, families on an
    > outing with the
    youngsters,
    > and pedestrians. They would welcome simple cold drinks. But about that lemonade -- use bottled
    > drinks only. Too many variables and might be not
    as
    > safe, to have an open pitcher. Plastic bottles. She should check if she needs a permit for this
    > activity. Sales tax collection. Local regs.
    >
    > Tell your friend to spend part of a hot Sunday doing a census of who uses

    > etc.
    >
    > Tell her also that she'll do better with her wares in a cargo bike or a
    bike
    > trailer -- bikers don't like feeling exploited by motorized merchants.
    >
    > She should plan on a consistent place and time; and she should plan on
    doing
    > it every weekend during the summer. Her customers need to feel that this stop is reliable.
    >
    > And finally, tell her that her signs must be really large -- readable from 300 or more ft. away,
    > in both directions.
    >
    > C.C.
    >
    > > From: "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]>
    >
    > > I ride in the heat of the day and in Coastal SC. My typical riding conditions are near 100F and
    > > 100 RH for three hours.
    > >
    > > I do not use electrolyte replacements, depending instead on a proper
    diet
    > > and plentiful water.
    > >
    > > I have never bought refreshments from 'roadside stands' fearing
    uncertain
    > > quality and resenting the profits they might make.
    > >
    > > In a word, my answers are a)no and b)cool - not cold -water.
    > >

    > >> This (younger) female friend
    > >
    > >> Anyway her idea (Summer job idea) was to sell Icy Cold "Bottled Water
    and
    > >> Fresh?? Lemonade" beside a popular Bike Path.
    > >
    > >> you encounter someone flogging Icy Cold liquid refreshments a) would
    you
    > >> stop to buy and b) what would you (prefer) to drink??

  13. Chere

    Chere Guest

    Naw - your young friend would be wasting her time and talents. There are young folks selling some
    sort of drinks on the bike paths here in Sanibel all the time. It lasts about a day 'cause no one
    ever stops, they get bored, their dreams of making a killing - up in smoke. Tell her to get a 'real
    job' even if it's at Mickey D's, show up on time, do a bang-up job as an employee and get a jump
    start on an impressive resume.

    Chere

  14. Jim H

    Jim H Guest

    One word: ESPRESSO

  15. "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<Pzxla.11179as I have made more
    than a few bad calls before (re: home computers
    > and pocket calculators will NEVER catch on, so don't invest in those toys...whoops).

    You can add the Calfee as another bad call on your part Josh....but like you said you've
    made so many!!

  16. I think its worth a try. I agree with Carol, on the weekends Bike paths are filled with many wanna
    be's and not that many serious riders. We're all out doing the Road thing, drinkin the stale, sorta
    plastic tasting camel back brand of H2O. Filling our water bladders from a Dollar a gallon drinking
    water jug or the restroom sinks at any available Stop and Rob. While Ken and Barbie Bikepath, are
    dying of thirst because they really don't have a concept of Camelbacks let alone proper hydration.
    As folks on this newsgroup have pointed out we are "Not the Norm" when it comes to cycling. The 1%
    of the 1% as Jude puts it. If it were me I'd buy a big ol' cooler, get a lawn chair with a Umbrella,
    and IF I had a good body, which I don't, but the legs are awesome BTW, I'd dress to show it off.
    Then I'd buy a few cases of Bottled water as cheap as I could find, several bags of Ice mix it all
    together in the cooler find a very DRY location, put out a sign and wait under the umbrella with a
    good book and a smile for everyone that went by. If I'd sell enough to make it worthwhile maybe the
    next time add some sugary bottled drinks for a looney or tooney. Who knows maybe I'd be Three
    wheelin in no time. Denny in Sayre, Pa "Bent but not Broken" www.recumbentstuff.com

  17. Harv

    Harv Guest

    That was well thought out and reasonible Carol. Adding my 2 cents: Have a couple of business
    partners (employees?) a mile or so down the path in both directions who are selling very dry
    salty/sweet/healthy snack foods. Then the market for drinks should be assured. "Carol Cohen"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BABC4BFA.4993C%[email protected]... snip

  18. Skip

    Skip Guest

    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<Pzxla.11179as I have made more than a few bad calls before (re: home computers
    > > and pocket calculators will NEVER catch on, so don't invest in those toys...whoops).
    >

    > You can add the Calfee as another bad call on your part Josh....but like you said you've made
    > so many!!

    And let's not forget that Joshua convinced a friend to let his Avatar go and buy a Rebike. Actually
    I would like to think he was just kidding around when he said that..

    skip

  19. I didn't like the Avatar at the time, it was a balance thing and I kept ploughing into things...now
    it would be a cinch because my brain is used to USS on 2 wheelers.

    The Big Blue thing was a mistake indeed, a friend had a chance to buy $8.million in IBM stock just
    as Big Blue was starting to think about making PCs smaller than a forklift truck. I convinced him to
    buy Silver and he quadruppled his $8.mil in only 5 weeks, so he wasn't unhappy, but 2 years later
    IBM shares traded at 30X but it would be unlikely anyone would sit on their shares 2 years.

    Still doubt Calfee would risk their good reputation on doing a bent that does not look as good as a
    ReBike...nah, that is too cruel. Okay maybe Calfee might risk it, but not enough people would buy it
    to make it commercially viable. There is so much pure genius making bents now that it would take far
    more than the Fast Freddy name on it to get people lining up to buy one. But I could be wrong...it
    does happen (but NOT very often).
    -------------------------------
    "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<Pzxla.11179as I have made more than a few bad calls before (re: home computers
    > > > and pocket calculators will NEVER catch on, so don't invest in those toys...whoops).
    > >

    > > You can add the Calfee as another bad call on your part Josh....but like you said you've made so
    > > many!!
    >
    > And let's not forget that Joshua convinced a friend to let his Avatar go
    and
    > buy a Rebike. Actually I would like to think he was just kidding around when he said that..
    >
    > skip

  20. Chere

    Chere Guest

    Joshua Says: "There is so much pure genius making bents now that it would take far more than the
    Fast Freddy name on it to get people lining up to buy one."

    So, Joshua, why don't you say what you really mean; still not candy-coating words, are ya? And watch
    out for that G.E.M (green-eyed monster).

    What if we supported each other in life's endeavors; do you suppose that would be a good thing? And
    what if we cyclists in general were a strong collective group? Would that be even better?

    Chere