Drink

Paul J

Apr 10, 2003
How do you take a drink when in the bunch without going down and taking other riders with you. Seems to me it takes a lot of concentration to maintain position in the bunch and pedalling pace and take a drink at same time without losing balance. Especially important on a 3 hour ride to keep fluids up.

Originally posted by Paul J
How do you take a drink when in the bunch without going down and taking other riders with you. Seems to me it takes a lot of concentration to maintain position in the bunch and pedalling pace and take a drink at same time without losing balance. Especially important on a 3 hour ride to keep fluids up.

You may want to invest in a camelback. I have a smaller one so I don't load it down with extras, but it holds 70oz of water. It also helps to fill it half way and leave it in the freezer, then fill it the rest of the way before you ride. Keeps the water nice and cold. The camelback is very easy to drink from and you don't have to fumble with getting your bottle in and out, plus it holds more water, good for those longer rides. Hope this helps!

Originally posted by gigemaggs99
You may want to invest in a camelback. I have a smaller one so I don't load it down with extras, but it holds 70oz of water. It also helps to fill it half way and leave it in the freezer, then fill it the rest of the way before you ride. Keeps the water nice and cold. The camelback is very easy to drink from and you don't have to fumble with getting your bottle in and out, plus it holds more water, good for those longer rides. Hope this helps!

Thanks. I think I've got it figured out now. The idea seems to be to minimise the distribution of body weight on the handle bars. ie The abdominals and legs are whats supporting the body while the hands maintain the steering and control. When taking a drink, one hand remains on the brake hood with just a feather touch to guide the bike in line and just keep pedalling. I've just been out for a quick ride and to practise this. Takes a bit of getting used to and I've had to shift my saddle back about a centimetre to distribute my weight a little more behind the bottom bracket.