Drinking and Pissing

11ring

Apr 22, 2006
Basically, I was wondering how most racers deal with urinating during races.

A few months ago I was in a big stage race about 128 km I think, did the usual morning routine, had a coffee and a piece of toast, drank some water and rode to the race. When I get there I hang a leak, but by the time the race is to start i have to go again- I am busting on the finish line!

I immeadiatly start looking for an opportunity to pee, but every time i think to go there is a surge. An hour in and i am in real pain, and can't drink any water. By the time get to the final climb, which as about 11 k long, it is well over thirty degrees and i have only had 100 ml of water. In the shade i am overtaking riders, but when the sun hits i go backwards. I reach the summit and get relief from the wind as i start the descent into the finish line, but i must of been delerious, as i forget about the last set of switchbacks, and wind out to about 90kmph on the what i think is the last straight. but there is really one last pair of tight bends, I can't see them as they are hidden by a wide blind corner. By the time I find them it is too late, I end up crashing into a sandstone drainage ditch, smash my collarbone , forks and front wheel.

I blame it on the need to pee and (therefore) not drinking- the obviouse answer is to drink less before the races and skip the coffee, but both seem to have their positives, you don't want to start the race dehydrated and the caffiene gives a little edge and endurance.

So, do other racers have this problem, am i drinking too much, is there anything you can take to make your body retain water without dehydrating you further (like salt) ???

Just let 'er rip, man, just let 'er rip!

But seriously, on televised races I generally see groups of people stop at the same time and go pee. I don't know how it works in local events..

Go to the front of the peleton and let go....then ride like hell. You should win.

JAPANic said:
Go to the front of the peleton and let go....then ride like hell. You should win.
Funny trend but it can be important in races. I have seen a quite a few guys **** during races and the best way is to get someone to give you a push while you do your stuff, otherwise you will come to a complete stop and cause hassle for guys and cars behind you. Best to be near the end of the bunch as well as you aren't racing and would be in the way. As regards technique, most yank down hard on the bib shorts but I did see a guy pull one leg of the shorts up so as to let the goods show. Looked painful. This is not something to try for the first time in a race. Good chance you will get your shoes wet!!!
icon4.gif

11ring said:
Basically, I was wondering how most racers deal with urinating during races.

A few months ago I was in a big stage race about 128 km I think, did the usual morning routine, had a coffee and a piece of toast, drank some water and rode to the race. When I get there I hang a leak, but by the time the race is to start i have to go again- I am busting on the finish line!

I immeadiatly start looking for an opportunity to pee, but every time i think to go there is a surge. An hour in and i am in real pain, and can't drink any water. By the time get to the final climb, which as about 11 k long, it is well over thirty degrees and i have only had 100 ml of water. In the shade i am overtaking riders, but when the sun hits i go backwards. I reach the summit and get relief from the wind as i start the descent into the finish line, but i must of been delerious, as i forget about the last set of switchbacks, and wind out to about 90kmph on the what i think is the last straight. but there is really one last pair of tight bends, I can't see them as they are hidden by a wide blind corner. By the time I find them it is too late, I end up crashing into a sandstone drainage ditch, smash my collarbone , forks and front wheel.

I blame it on the need to pee and (therefore) not drinking- the obviouse answer is to drink less before the races and skip the coffee, but both seem to have their positives, you don't want to start the race dehydrated and the caffiene gives a little edge and endurance.

So, do other racers have this problem, am i drinking too much, is there anything you can take to make your body retain water without dehydrating you further (like salt) ???
Use a plastic bottle with a wid neck( like gatorade) keep it in your jersey pocket,and put it in your shorts when you need to pee?. During a training ride try to urinate on your bike at a slow speed:D ,have a friend pushing you to keep your pace.

Practice,pratice,.....

Ride hard,Musher

I am more worried about the fact that before a major stage race all you had to eat was a piece of toast, coffee and water...Are trying to get seriously skinny??? before a stage race I have a cereal, toast, powerade, water, bananas and a gel BEFORE the stage has started. Then top up with energy drink (peak fuel) and gels/ bars during the race.

If I absolutely had to go I would maybe jump off the front pull over to the side then catch back up???

I suffered similar pain in a stage race and I know how you feel its not fun at all and it makes drinking really hard. by the end of the race the pain went away and I managed to drink plenty of water...finished the race and i didnt even need to ****! god thats annoying.

Roll up your left short leg from the bottom, lean all the way over to the left of the bike (butt no longer on the saddle -- all the way over), and aim backwards. You're on the left side so you don't pee on your gear. It's unpleasant, hard, and you will get some on your leg. I have practiced it on team rides and once pushed a teammate while he did it in a race, but never personally done it in a race.

There may be other ways, but that's the best I have.

In an emergency just pee on yourself. You are completely wet with sweat so no one cares.

Just get it over with. LOL.

Try this next time.

Get super hydrated for the 2-3 days before. Work on it.

The day of the race drink a lot, but stop drinking about 1 hour before the race.

Pee as late before the start as you can. Drink some just before the race starts (and do your gel or whatever). This is the start of your in-race hydration and fueling.

Then, drink as needed during the race - i.e. early and often. I'm not a world class athlete, but have done 4+ hour events and have managed to stay hydrated and not had to pee. The above routine was, I believe, recommended in a master skiier article, but I believe the general idea would hold to a cycling event - the difference being you might have to drink more enroute if the ambient temp causes you to sweat more than a skiier. I have a feeling it's not a lot though.

The full hydration in the day(s) before the race is important, and the 1 hour lapse before the race will allow you to completely empty the bladder. You'll be peeing during that time, but not accumulating additional fluid. You will still be hydrated at the start, then all you have to do is keep up with fluid loss. Then, as you drink during the race, you're pretty much replacing the sweat, with very little extra to be excreted by the kidneys.

funny how i can go to sleep at 8pm after drinking a coffee an hour earlier and sleep 12 hours without having to go, but as soon as i arrive at a race event i have to go 15 times in the 2 hours leading up to the event! :eek:

Just kidding, but only half kidding. i have a few techniques, but i agree with preloading the water. I seem to be able to handle more and have less frequent need for "breaks" (even after coffee) if i have been drinking alot of water for many days leading up. seems counterintuitive, but maybe somehow your brain/bladder get used to holding more or something. don't shoot me if there's some research article on that that says it doesn't work..i'm just using my own experience.:p also, you could drink only a half of cup of coffee?

if all else fails, pee on yourself!

Mike

Camilo said:
Try this next time.

Get super hydrated for the 2-3 days before. Work on it.

The day of the race drink a lot, but stop drinking about 1 hour before the race.

Pee as late before the start as you can. Drink some just before the race starts (and do your gel or whatever). This is the start of your in-race hydration and fueling.

Then, drink as needed during the race - i.e. early and often. I'm not a world class athlete, but have done 4+ hour events and have managed to stay hydrated and not had to pee. The above routine was, I believe, recommended in a master skiier article, but I believe the general idea would hold to a cycling event - the difference being you might have to drink more enroute if the ambient temp causes you to sweat more than a skiier. I have a feeling it's not a lot though.

The full hydration in the day(s) before the race is important, and the 1 hour lapse before the race will allow you to completely empty the bladder. You'll be peeing during that time, but not accumulating additional fluid. You will still be hydrated at the start, then all you have to do is keep up with fluid loss. Then, as you drink during the race, you're pretty much replacing the sweat, with very little extra to be excreted by the kidneys.