Drive by shoutings and snappy comebacks.

Originally Posted by alienator .

If you're going to look at from the carbon footprint point of view, then having a car stop will only increase the carbon put out by the car. Priority should be given to what is safest, in terms of laws, not whose carbon footprint is lower.

There is no 'safest' in Florida... A stop sign here is merely a suggestion; A red light? That means you can squeeze about 4 or 5 more cars through the intersection now. They should remove turn signals from cars here too, as they are never used anyway. All they do is leave more debris on the road when someone rear ends them. Very few people on the roads here have valid licenses, and even more have no car insurance.
It's a great place for a vacation, or to retire!

Originally Posted by trinogt .

There is no 'safest' in Florida... A stop sign here is merely a suggestion; A red light? That means you can squeeze about 4 or 5 more cars through the intersection now. They should remove turn signals from cars here too, as they are never used anyway. All they do is leave more debris on the road when someone rear ends them. Very few people on the roads here have valid licenses, and even more have no car insurance.

If given the option between going to Florida and going to Hell, I'd have to think for a while.

trinogt said:
Quote: Originally Posted by alienator .

If you're going to look at from the carbon footprint point of view, then having a car stop will only increase the carbon put out by the car. Priority should be given to what is safest, in terms of laws, not whose carbon footprint is lower.

Good for you. Obviously more people should think like you, and then everything will be fixed. Righto, chap.

I had an experience the other day that really shocked me. I was riding in a residential area and came upon an intersection with no crosswalks. As I approached I could hear a lady on the sidewalk cursing at her children such as "don't f****ing run into the street you little s**t!" I was almost keeping up with traffic but there was probably a 20 foot gap between the car in front of me and myself. Apparently she was trying to cross the roads and was angry that I was keeping her from doing so for another ten seconds so she looks me in the eyes as I was approaching the intersection and screams "You mother-f***ing *******!" My response: slam on my brakes and stop directly in front of her and say "pardon me? Go **** yourself." She responds "watch your mouth in front of my children!" I respond with "you boggle my mind and don't deserve your children, I feel sorry for them" and ride away. Hypocritical *****.

Originally Posted by trinogt .

I just had a great incident... A few days ago, I was riding down a 4 lane road through town (a main artery) way over on the shoulder as far as I could get, and some pickup behind me blares his horn and angrily roared around me. Right at that spot, a cop was pulling out from a fish'n'chips place, I looked his way and pointed at the truck, shrugged, and kept going. Next thing I know, the cop car roared around me, and went after the truck! LOL
It made my day. I see a lot of police cars around here with triple bike racks on the trunk... Can't remember if this one did or not, but I think this guy was possibly a rider and felt my pain.
Thumbs up to cops who ride!
Many of the police here in Denver ride and we even have an entire fleet of cops on cycles downtown. It's more than just a job to most of them too, it's a true passion. They're always pleasant and almost always smile and wave to a fellow cyclist. The other day one even flagged me down and advised me to head a block north before continuing west because of some construction further down the street, he didn't want me to burst a tire or bend a rim. Really friendly folks and true riders. :)

KitCougar said:
I had an experience the other day that really shocked me. I was riding in a residential area and came upon an intersection with no crosswalks. As I approached I could hear a lady on the sidewalk cursing at her children such as "don't f****ing run into the street you little s**t!" I was almost keeping up with traffic but there was probably a 20 foot gap between the car in front of me and myself. Apparently she was trying to cross the roads and was angry that I was keeping her from doing so for another ten seconds so she looks me in the eyes as I was approaching the intersection and screams "You mother-f***ing *******!" My response: slam on my brakes and stop directly in front of her and say "pardon me? Go **** yourself." She responds "watch your mouth in front of my children!" I respond with "you boggle my mind and don't deserve your children, I feel sorry for them" and ride away. Hypocritical *****.
That's a lame response. The better response would have been to just keep pedaling, otherwise you're perceived to be no different than her. To top it off, you did it right in front of her children--the same thing you slagged her for--so maybe you shouldn't be allowed to be around children. If I were there and witnessed that, I would have told my daughter that both the lady and you were idiots and didn't know how to behave in front of children. Are you sterile? I hope so.

Originally Posted by alienator .

That's a lame response. The better response would have been to just keep pedaling, otherwise you're perceived to be no different than her. To top it off, you did it right in front of her children--the same thing you slagged her for--so maybe you shouldn't be allowed to be around children. If I were there and witnessed that, I would have told my daughter that both the lady and you were idiots and didn't know how to behave in front of children. Are you sterile? I hope so.
You're right, I was in the wrong as much as she was. I suppose I was just angry and figured the children were used to it at that point. Still, that was really lame of me and it won't happen again, thanks for pointing out my error. Next time I'll watch my temper and just smile and give a peace sign.

While cheerfully waving, melodically say - "Die in a fire" :)

It's terrible, I know, but it is how I usually feel at that time......

SCardamon said:
While cheerfully waving, melodically say - "Die in a fire" :)
It's terrible, I know, but it is how I usually feel at that time......
Again, riding on by and ignoring the person is the best bet. As a bonus, it doesn't result in crossing the line in front of a kid.

Originally Posted by KitCougar .

You're right, I was in the wrong as much as she was. I suppose I was just angry and figured the children were used to it at that point. Still, that was really lame of me and it won't happen again, thanks for pointing out my error. Next time I'll watch my temper and just smile and give a peace sign.
Hopefully you do. The only chance those kids have in life will come from strangers examples.

Very reasoned and calm response cougar. I can't tell if you are maybe just a bit tongue in cheek. Sentiment is bang on though. I've been in the same situation (not on a bike but the parent swearing at me with the kid in tow thing) and I must admit the adrenaline gets the better of me most every time.

You'd think all those beatings I took as a youth would have cured me....

Originally Posted by rxter .

Very reasoned and calm response cougar. I can't tell if you are maybe just a bit tongue in cheek. Sentiment is bang on though. I've been in the same situation (not on a bike but the parent swearing at me with the kid in tow thing) and I must admit the adrenaline gets the better of me most every time.

Not tongue in cheek whatsoever. Thinking about it from a third-person perspective, well, I was an ass. The adrenaline certainly did get the best of me but that's no excuse and now I know to watch out for it next time. Like I said: it won't happen again. I was raised better than that (and got my share of ****-whoopings too) and I ought to act like it. I'm glad it was pointed out that I was doing something stupid...though I didn't appreciate the "I hope your sterile" bit from alienator, that was kind of doing the same thing that I was in the wrong for in the first place in my mind.

KitCougar said:
Quote: Originally Posted by rxter .

Not tongue in cheek whatsoever. Thinking about it from a third-person perspective, well, I was an ass. The adrenaline certainly did get the best of me but that's no excuse and now I know to watch out for it next time. Like I said: it won't happen again. I was raised better than that (and got my share of ****-whoopings too) and I ought to act like it. I'm glad it was pointed out that I was doing something stupid...though I didn't appreciate the "I hope your sterile" bit from alienator, that was kind of doing the same thing that I was in the wrong for in the first place in my mind.
You're right.

I fart in their general direction! Ha ha. Sort of.

First, realize most of these people don't really hate bikers, they're angry and miserable because they are cooped up in their cars!
Well, seriously, some do hate bikers, but most are just ignorant and stupid, not malicious.

Usually when people yell at me I wave, which seems to really **** them off as they seem angry the belligerant intent of their words didn't get through. Nothing makes a rude ignoramus in a car feel worse than realizing he's also an ineffectual rude ignoramus!

Other approaches I've taken:

One guy drove by shoutign "get a car". i caught up at the traffic light and asked him, "hey, why don't you get a bike?"

A carload of kids drove by and hollored suddenly as they passed to try and startle me into falling. When i caught up with them at the light i rolled up alognside and yelled "AAAAARGH!" in the open window. Tough guy passenger spilled his drink on his expensive jeans and looked like he was about to cry.

The oddest one was a block from my driveway, someone who is undoubtedly a neighbor leaned out a big SUV and yelled "*****."
I called after him, "Says the little guy hiding in the big truck".
I do sometimes curse back, but it can backfire. Johny tough guy could jump out of his minivan with a gun or knife. Or use the minivan as a weapon. One chased me once over a bridge. Was scary. I try to avoid them. Whoever said trying to remain calm is a good idea was probaly right in the long run.

- Elvis

By the way, regarding the screaming pedestrian cussing out her kids and you, i've seen people do things with / in front of their kids that would shock a social worker. Like one who let them run across the street in front of her as if they were minesweepers. Another cheery fellow nearly hit me runnign a red light and when I cussed loudly in panic trying to dodge him and nearly fell, he shouted at me not to curse in front of his kid. I told him if he cared about his kid he shouldn't run red lights with his kid in the car.

Well I suppose your responses vary depending on the situation. Most times I take my shades off and wink. That really gets on their nerves. So I try to avoid confrontations as best as I can. I've only been cycling (road) for two seasons and a couple of times I've signalled drivers to pull over, Those I've signalled to pull over are real dirt bags, you know, aggressive driving, assualted me with projectiles, spitting ect. Most have been complete and utter... well... morons mostly in their late teens early twenties. I think the fact that I have a helmet mounted camera helps my situation when I signalled these morons to discuss their action. Anyway back to the topic. When I have got them to pull over I've always gone to town with describing their actions and tell them how many laws of the "highway code" they've broken. I then indicate that there actions are all recorded and then I cycle away.To be honest these "conversations" haven't really got too heated and most of the time It shuts them up. But I really think its the adrenaline that swades some responses. But now looking at my previous responses I think its best to act with a cool head.

Had another experience today. I would have been in the right to curse this person out but I didn't get the opportunity. I was riding down a two lane road (my normal commute route) and a truck buzzed me and hit me in the shoulder with it's mirror nearly sending me into a parked car or the curb. I was lucky to keep the bike upright and dismount without crashing but damn is my shoulder sore! I couldn't get the truck's license plate (it was obscured by a trailer hitch) so calling the police wouldn't do much good but I'm ****** off now. I'll be keeping an eye out for that truck in the future and giving him legal hell if I see him again.

Damn KitCougar, sounds almost identical to my last close call! Only he didn't quite make contact with his mirror. The funny thing is, he actually swerved into the shoulder where I was, then swerved back into his lane a few hundred yards ahead... Was it done on purpose? Was he a victim of highway hypnosis? I will never know. All I do know is there are two lanes running each direction, and most don't bother to use the left for passing.
I do like the idea of a helmet cam running nonstop. However, my old Sony Handycam circa 2004 is a little too heavy to keep atop my head for long (tried it). Once I get the GoPro Hero2, I will probably use it exclusively on the bike, and heck, maybe dash-mount it to my vehicles when I drive and make a compilation movie of all the Florida idiot drivers! Would probably take one hour to get all the footage I need for a week-long tv series. lol.

Originally Posted by KitCougar .

Had another experience today. I would have been in the right to curse this person out but I didn't get the opportunity. I was riding down a two lane road (my normal commute route) and a truck buzzed me and hit me in the shoulder with it's mirror nearly sending me into a parked car or the curb. I was lucky to keep the bike upright and dismount without crashing but damn is my shoulder sore! I couldn't get the truck's license plate (it was obscured by a trailer hitch) so calling the police wouldn't do much good but I'm ****** off now. I'll be keeping an eye out for that truck in the future and giving him legal hell if I see him again.
Yek, not good. Another reason why I have a helmet mirror.
BBB.